Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone wish they would have had gastric bypass?

But are you sure that was Carnie Wilson on celebrity fit club??? I don't remember seeing here on any of them. She was even just on a weight loss surgery program looking really really thin. (personally I think a little heavier for her is a good thing)

Sorry, I misled you. She hasn't been on it yet. She'll be on the new season that starts on 8/1. She's the one choking that guy in the photo, LOL

http://www.vh1.com/shows/dyn/celebrity_fit_club_4/106885/episode_about.jhtml

I absolutely DO NOT wish I'd had gastric bypass. I would have had no surgery, still weigh 275, and just take my chances with my life. I have seen too many people have really serious complications from the surgery. Not for me! I have too much for which I want to live and do so fully! :biggrin1:

Sorry, I misled you. She hasn't been on it yet. She'll be on the new season that starts on 8/1. She's the one choking that guy in the photo, LOL

http://www.vh1.com/shows/dyn/celebrity_fit_club_4/106885/episode_about.jhtml

Oh my...def not gonna miss this one. I have watched all of them so far..its the only reality show I will watch (i guess cause I can relate). But she still doesn't look so large -i read she had a baby -which would do it to you..lol Thanks for the Link!!!! It will be on 8/6 here on the East Coast.

Sadly, this backs up what my surgeon told me about GB being only good for the first year (just like my sister's!).

Oh and did you notice that in the blurb about her they didn't mention that she had GB surgery???!!!

Hi, gastric bypass was never an option for me. I'm way to much of a hypochondriac for that type of surgery. I'd probrably end up in the hospital for not eating or drinking from fear of leakage. I'm not saying that it shouldn't be an option, I'm just saying it wasn't an option for me. I was in the waiting room in the dr.s office the other day and I was talking to a woman who had the bypass and she was saying how thankful she was, because it gave her a new life, and she don't know if she would have lived for 5 more years without it. she chose the bypass over the band, and thats what she felt comfortable with. She made the right decision in her journey on her weight loss, and I feel comfortable in knowing that I made the right decision in whats right for me in my journey through weight loss.We can't let someone elses fears, or lack of fears play a role in what we choose to do for ourselves. That said, I hope everyone, whether they've had any type of wls or not, have a success in their journey down the road to weight loss, and I wish everyone the best of luck.

There is so much "lap band is better than RNY" sentiment on this forum, and for good reason I'm sure. I was almost afraid to post that I wish I would have had RNY instead for fear of being attacked. I feel relief to know that there are other people who feel the way I do. I feel less alone, and I appreciate everyone's honesty. I was starting to feel completely alone here. Thanks for letting me know I'm not.

YIKES!! I don't want you to think I was in any way attacking YOU, Monica! You asked an honest question, one we probably have ALL asked ourselves. Let me put it like this, I wish I could have the same quick results as rny with the same long-term results as lapband. Now when they have a surgery that works like that, sign me up!!! HUGS!!!

YIKES!! I don't want you to think I was in any way attacking YOU, Monica! You asked an honest question, one we probably have ALL asked ourselves. Let me put it like this, I wish I could have the same quick results as rny with the same long-term results as lapband. Now when they have a surgery that works like that, sign me up!!! HUGS!!!

Oh, I didn't think you were! But thank you for your caring response. This might sound crazy, but right now I don't care at all about the possible complications. I just want to be thin!

Okay, I will be brave enough to admit it.

I do love my band and I am working with it. But I wish i had just done the bypass for the lifelong option. I am not looking forward to the "longterm" band option resurgery. I feel a bit like a ticking timebomb. When will I lose it?

So yes, for ME... I would have paid the extra money to do bypass. And when I do need a revision surgery on my band I will convert to the bypass.

Hi Princess - what's this about the longterm band option resurgery and the ticking timebomb? I haven't heard about needing resurgery...why would that be necessary?

Julie

Hi Princess - what's this about the longterm band option resurgery and the ticking timebomb? I haven't heard about needing resurgery...why would that be necessary?

Julie

I never heard that either!!:eek:

You know, me either. I feel like my doctor didn't give me a good rundown of complications. He pretty much told me everything will be fine and complications are very, very rare and not to worry about it. Could it be that people with complications tend to use these forums more than people who don't have complications? Or was my doctor too casual about the risk? I wonder.

You know, me either. I feel like my doctor didn't give me a good rundown of complications. He pretty much told me everything will be fine and complications are very, very rare and not to worry about it. Could it be that people with complications tend to use these forums more than people who don't have complications? Or was my doctor too casual about the risk? I wonder.

From what I can see, either people researching lap band come here or people who have had trouble with it (not all, but the majority seem to have) I know people personally who have had no problems at all....and I know they don't belong to any support groups....so we aren't getting a good mix here. I don't think the doc was casual about the risk....the pre-op testing is so much more sophisticated than it was when my sis had it done (4 yrs ago) Her doc trained with Carnie Wilson's doc (GB) and now I have the same doc for lap band, and the pre-op testing is nowhere near the same!!!! I think the risk is so much lower because of this. I was reading the memorials of the people who died after having WLS and it would seem that they never should have had it done because of all the co-morbidities they had! My doc hasn't lost a patient and only had one surgery where he had to go in to move the band...but it was some odd thing with the patient...he has never had patients with slippage. Nothing like we read on these boards.

I can totally say that i would never have gastric bypass..I am 1000% percent happy with my band...I am happy on the fact that i can keep it the rest of my life and have a reminder on what is right and wrong. ..A little fill here and there and you would be back on track..Please i wouldn't want to die..

Kristen

Several years ago my doctor had suggested gastric bypass but I didn't want to hear it. I researched and found too many "serious" complications. Not to mention, I wanted to get pregnant and I read that was more difficult with the bypass.

I had several friends and associates who had gastric bypass and they did wonderful for a year or so, then all started to gain the weight back. If your eating habits don't change, your stomach stretches and you gain.

I felt the band was the safer bet. It's a much less invasive surgery. There are less complications during pregnancy. And more importantly to me, this is a LIFELONG weight loss solution.

Granted...I say all this having not had my surgery yet. LOL!!! But this was my logic when I made the decision to go for it.

Yes, you definately lose the weight faster but if you are not obedient, you can definately gain the weight back. Look at Al Roker and Randy. Also, I have a co-work who has gained back weight, she still looks alot better but I think that can be just as disappointing as a slow weight loss. Hang in there, we have to be patient!!!!:eek:

I have to admit, I do. I have only lost 35 lbs in 8 months. I wish I had had the gastric bypass instead. I don't care if it's not as healthy. Weighing 245 isn't healthy either. I hope that one day I become happy with my decision.

Am I alone here? It seems from these forums that nobody but me would have done it differently.

Hi Bettina,

Who's your surgeon? The surgeon who will be performing my surgery did Al Roker and I'm not sure but I heard from a few of his patients that he also assisted in Carney Wilson's surgery.

Hi Emily,

My surgeon is Dr. Alexander Onopchenko....Atlantic City, NJ. He trained in San Franciso with Carnie's Doc. Dr. O was the first to do gall bladder surgery using laproscopic. He also trained with the doc who invented Lap Band...lol he didn't travel to Austrailia for that, the doc happed to be in Pittsburgh, so my doc flew there.