Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I have completed about all of the required paperwork and actions that the insurance is asking for. So I have been told that if everything goes well I should have a Feb. surgery date, but now I keep thinking what if I do this and I lose all my weight but now I have all this extra skin. I know I have to exercise and I have started walking and trying to do somethings to get ready but I'm a big girl and need to lose at least 130 lbs. how do you firm up that much loose skin? Part of me is so excited to have the surgery and to have more energy and be able to see my feet without leaning forward and to be able to go on a bike ride with my daughter. Then the other part of me says your going to look funny with all the extra skin flopping about you might as well not worry about the surgery, has anyone else had these thoughts? I know it sounds petty but I have seen some great results and I have seen some were the person looked so much older and unhealthy after the surgery. I don't want to go from being embarressed about my weight to being embarressed about having a size 10 body with a size 20 shell.

Well, I am pretty baggy and saggy now and at age 56, can't really expect things to snap back the way they were when I was 30. I am having a facelift because that's what people see and my lower face and neck lost a lot of volume and fullness. My body looks fine in clothes. In a bathing suit...well, let's just say no one is going to think I'm a supermodel.

If the loose skin gets infections in the folds, sometimes insurance will pay to have it removed. You can also start saving for plastic surgery now. I have seen some great results with lower body and breast lifts. Surgeons can also fix arms, thighs, and butts.

I started at the exact same weight you are now. I had the same thoughts!!! The last time I lost a lot of weight (80 lbs) I felt great but had loose skin. I got worried that it would get worse because I still had 40 to go. I ended up regaining every pound. I started thinking about surgery. Was all ready and had a surgery date. I started thinking of every possible excuse to not have surgery and canceled it. Needless to say, here I am waiting for a second surgery date and relosing the 20 pounds I lost after the first meeting with the surgeon. No amount of loose skin can keep me from being able to cross my legs or bend over. I figure that is what Spanx are for!!!!

Hi AKMama-

I have lost 111 lbs. so far and although the skin in my upper arms, upper legs and lower stomach isn't gorgeous, it isn't all that bad either. I am not sure of your age or skin elasticity but I am 32 and super fair (which is considered the least elastic skin) and I am noticing some definite tightening in the last couple of months. I will say that exercise seems to play a large role and I have used compression garments and feel that has helped as well. Long story short- it ain't that bad. And, Hubs and I are the only one to see the sagging skin but EVERYONE sees my smaller jean size. :)

Good luck to you!

Amanda

I do have excess skin, but it is still all worth it. I wear Spanx to help. I will take my health and energy over saggy skin any day.

I'm currently embracing my arm and thigh jiggle because like someone else said, most people aren't going to see that, but they definitely notice how good I look in my size 14 jeans (instead of the size 22 I was wearing 4 months ago!!).

I don't know if I'll ever do plastics, my biggest concern is the batwings under my arms and I've heard that surgery is brutal . . . we'll have to see what I end up with when I hit goal. :)

Thanks for all the positive feedback and you are all right. I know I am going to be so much healthier and feel better about myself. I need to concentrate on eating right and starting an exercise routine as soon as I can. Now if I only liked to exercise...

My main area that I'm concerned about is my tummy and my arms. I already have a roll on my stomache so I just keep thinking the worst. I am going to try and quit thinking about and be positive about how good I'm going to feel once the weight starts coming off!

So...

Has anyone tried the compression garments? Do they help in getting rid of any excess skin or do they just hold everything in?

I use the compression garments when I exercise. It helps keep everything from bouncing too much.

I worried about the extra skin, but I figured I would rather be baggy and alive than fat and dead. (High blood pressure, cholestrol, pre-diabetic, sleep apnea ...)

I'll deal with the extra skin later. One thing at a time.

I wear a pair of compression shorts (they look like spandex bike shorts) most days. I feel like they have helped me but I have no solid proof. I bought them at Walmart for about $15. I like that they make my waistline look more firm and offer a better silhouette. I also wear compression-like capris when I run for the same reasons as PDxMan.

As for not working out, I didn't like it pre-op either. An amazing thing happens as you lose the weight, working out becomes less painful and more invigorating. I started to like it, then love it and now I crave it. I hope it's the same for you. :)

Hi all,

Thanks for the post AKMama because I'm in the same boat as you. I'm so excited but I keep thinking of all the excess skin. I'm waiting for my paperwork to be submited to ins for approval.....keeping fingers crossed. Everyones post help so much and are so encouraging....so thank you all!