Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 Month Post-op: I Miss Veggies So Much!

I was sleeved a month ago, and already lost 10 kilos (22 lbs) give or take. I'm very happy with the results but I'm a bit concerned about not having vegetables.

I understand that we all have very little stomachs and therefore we must save room for the Proteins, but it still concerns me that most of my Vitamins come in a pill. Do they really replace my daily salads? The only fine part about being "on a diet" used to be making a fancy salad, which included tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, onion, red pepper, 5% fat Bulgarian cheese, some olive oil and lemon juice. It was both nutritious and fun to eat, but now I seriously doubt that I can stuff a single tbsp of salad into my mouth.

Anyone else shares these feelings? Anyone here who was sleeved long enough ago and can confirm that you can eat veggies again after a while?

I wasn't allowed to have raw veggies until month 3 (with the exception of peeled cucumber at month 2). I missed them so much I wanted to cry!! Now I'm 4 1/2 months out and can eat salad, though because I love it so much it's sometimes hard to not fill up on it and forgo my Protein. What I usually do is use a very small amount of lettuce, my veggies and then have my protein with it (I love a salad with grilled chicken, or thinly-sliced tender steak). YUM!

At week 4 meeting with dietician and physician assistant I was told to add some salads into the mix. So I have been having some small salads with or without meals (with then it is much smaller) with lettuce, Tomato, cucumber, squash, mushrooms, radishes, celery, anything else I would put into a salad.

All told about Vitamins and salads - the big part of a salad, the lettuce, have virtually zero nutritional value and you will not likely get much out of a salad to begin with. However, since sleeve does not have same malabsorption problem as the bypass people it may not be a big problem but take your Vitamins as instructed, it helps your body in long run.

It's possible to have a salad that includes a good bit of Protein if you pay attention to what you're putting in it. I use a little spring mix as the base and add some cucumber and Tomato because I love them. Then I add some chopped egg, sunflower seeds (make sure your nut approves them first), chopped deli meat, and just a little dressing.

Most salad bars have enough Protein options on them that you could have a salad that has as much protein as most other meal options. The bonus is that you get a little extra veggie in them. I can't do tons of raw veggies yet, but a few bites of broccoli and cauliflower are delicious in a salad as well. I skip the croutons and crackers in favor of the raw veggies, and cucumber slices make great "crackers". I've also used tuna or chicken salad as part of my lunch salads. Delicious.

It is so nice to hear that someday we can eat a salad. I too loved having a salad. Right now I can only take in 2 tsp of food at a time. I just keep saying we are only out 1 month. Hopefully it will get easier as time goes by.

Laura

@Lissa, you always have some delightful posts.

I am glad I will not have to give up salads forever.

Will I ever be able to have homemade stir fried veggies ( I use very little olive oil and blot the veggies gently) ?

I do stir fry pretty often actually. There's a great product at wally world which is steak fajita meat, pre-cooked. Heat it in a skillet with the veggies you like. YUMMY

I do stir fry pretty often actually. There's a great product at wally world which is steak fajita meat, pre-cooked. Heat it in a skillet with the veggies you like. YUMMY

I eat both the steak and chicken fajita products now. I'm so glad they will probably still work for me once I'm sleeved!

Wow, I'm 6 weeks out and still haven't been able to tolerate ANY fruits or veggies. At all. I get a tiny bite and then the stomach starts roiling....followed by a run to the bathroom within the next 30 minutes. I'm still stuck with soft Proteins and it sucks >.< It's nice to know that eventually, some day....my anatomy may be less volatile.

Cat Lady - I'm just about in the same boat 7 weeks out and I've just been given the go ahead for soft chicken and fist. I was told I could do veggies, but they needed to be SMOOOOOOSHY. The doctor also said I could have berries, but I've been too nervous to try.

We'll get there one day!

I hear ya on salad cravings, I'm on day 18 since surgery and I'm craving cucumbers & vinegar so bad it's ridiculous. I've drank Pickle Juice twice. I'm picking tomatoes and cucumbers out of my garden daily... I'm going to make some refrigerator and canned dill pickles once I can eat them. Do I need to cut out the cucumber seeds?

Salads aren't worth my time, as lettuce has no nutritional value. I do make vegetable salads, like diced chicken, beets, dill, a bit of mayo, and pepitas. Yes, I now crave beets. Go figure.

My nutrionist said it is ok to add veggies I was going through veggie withdrawals lol but now I add some in a few bites with my Protein seems to be satisfying me. Just keep track of your protein intake.

Bionic, I love beets. Always have. I just bought a couple of small cans of them for the pantry. One can will probably still be several servings, though. :)

Lissa, try buying some fresh beets and roast them in the oven with some salt pepper and olive oil (I leave the skin on, but u can peel them). I like the nutrients in the skin. Then slice them and eat them as is or add to a salad. They're so delish!