Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Smoking After Gastric Sleeve Surgery

I am pretty surprised by many of the responses here. Chances are most of us on this board were addicted to food and required surgery to correct the weight issues that came along with said addiction. Any good doctor will advise that If the issues that contributed to the weight aren't worked on' date=' then eventually the weight will return. Yes, smoking is bad. However, when one attempts to stop one addiction, chances are good that another obsessive behavior - be it shopping, exercising, cleaning, sex, drinking, smoking, etc. - will attempt to take its place as a relief mechanism.

My doctor knew I smoked. He said it was more important that I beat the food issues that contributed to my obesity AND that one should never try to beat 2 addictions at once. I continued to smoke for 3 months after my surgery with no healing issues. Then, I tried to quit (for my 6th time) and I literally felt like hanging myself: With no food crutch to fall on, it was one huge feeling of despair. Now that I am 8 months from surgery, I have started Wellbutrin (aka Zyban) to see if it will work for my 7th attempt, helping to keep those feelings at bay. I know the food issues are slowly diminishing - I am at a point now where eating is like doing laundry: Something one has to do but not something that is happily anticipated and planned. It's an amazing feeling and one that I am proud I was able to achieve. The surgery is just step 1 and anyone who thinks otherwise should rethink their plan.

Hopefully my next quit attempt will work. But to tell someone who is contemplating or recently had the sleeve that they need to cut off one addiction while having major surgery for another is, in my opinion, irresponsible. I was aware enough that I could recognize why I was feeling the thoughts I was having when I attempted to quite smoking right after surgery. Others may not be as in tune with their emotions. We all know any addiction is difficult to beat. We also all know that it didn't matter one bit when others would comment (with the best of intentions but judgmental nonetheless) on our food intake. Until one is ready, it doesn't make a bit of difference what others say, and any comments generally alienate and shame the intended recipient.

Just my 2 cents as a current smoker and one who is coming up on 100 #s down and keeping it off.....[/quote']

Hey Geri.. Did you smoke before surgery?

Hey Geri.. Did you smoke before surgery?

...My doctor knew I smoked. He said it was more important that I beat the food issues that contributed to my obesity AND that one should never try to beat 2 addictions at once. I continued to smoke for 3 months after my surgery with no healing issues....

Sounds like it to me.

When my husband and I quit drinking 21 years ago, he was advised by his doctor to not try and quit smoking at the same time....just too much stress on his body at one time. Like Geri said, I believe this principle will be the same no matter what the addiction is. And, yes, I was a smoker, too. We all agree on one thing.....smoking is unhealthy......even most smokers believe this, but it is a very strong addiction. Who is to say one addiction is better or worse than another? Smoking just happens to be a hot topic, because of the "political correctness". If I still smoked I would look for a natural organic cigarette. IMHO it is the additives in the cigarettes that are the killers and not necessarily the tobacco. IMHO!

I smoked for years and quit the day I was sleeved. I just felt like I was already changing my lifestyle so drastically that I might as well. I am 8 weeks out and feel great! I've lost 32 lbs and exercise daily. I still crave cigarettes but have not given in to the cravings.

I smoked for years and quit the day I was sleeved. I just felt like I was already changing my lifestyle so drastically that I might as well. I am 8 weeks out and feel great! I've lost 32 lbs and exercise daily. I still crave cigarettes but have not given in to the cravings.

thanks for writing back! Im scheduled for next monday and I'm so scared.. being that I'm still smoking a little is scaring me even more.

...My doctor knew I smoked. He said it was more important that I beat the food issues that contributed to my obesity AND that one should never try to beat 2 addictions at once. I continued to smoke for 3 months after my surgery with no healing issues....

Sounds like it to me.

im so scared to have the surgery bc I've been smoking.. I'm a week away from surgery so i will try to cut back.

I stopped smoking two Weeks prior to my surgery (surgery was 3/12/12). my surgeon gave me chantix to help stop. I was doing well but now post op i cannot swallow the chantix and i am fighting the urge to smoke everyday. I had a crying fit this morning and actually went in store and bought a pack. I decided not to smoke one and when my husband (who smokes on occassion) lit one the smell made me sick! Its not an easy addiction to give up especially since i cant wat but i am strong! Good luck to others that are trying to stop as well!

I can see how you would try to smoke so soon after the surgery in an effort to find some sense of normalcy when things feel so topsy turvy. The issue of smoking relates to the healing process but also to the issue of oral gratification from food being replaced by smoking. Hence, I can imagine that a person that may have been merely a social/stress smoker could become a pack a day/light up with that first cup a java in the AM smoker after sleeve. I can see how this process could make the effort to quit down the pipe all the more difficult. In this way one can post an compelling argument for pulling the bandaid off now, as you are in the throws of developing all new oral behaviors, as opposed to letting the situation become more out of hand and tackling it later incase the smoking is exacerbated by the oral pleasure issues. However, I know how hard this would be. Whether you choose to tackle this demon now or later, I guess it makes sense to at least be sure not to increase the behavior as a replacement.

I agree that trying to quit two addictions at the same time is not advisable, but it is not like we decide to have the surgery and go in the next day and have it done.

As an ex-smoker, I know it is difficult to quit. I stumbled more than once. IMO, the day you make the decision to have the surgery is the day you have decided to change your life to a healthier direction. That is the day to begin the process of quitting smoking.

I'm guessing we have all kidded ourselves with our eating issues but there comes a times when we say enough is enough. If you really think smoking is OK and not a negative thing while you are healing from major surgery, then ... God bless you and good luck.

Hi has any blogged recently. I just had my sleeve 12/1/15 doing great but I can't believe she smoked after surgery it could blow your staples out

smoking makes me cough - I have been a smoker over half my life at this point/ coughing fits with some newly placed staples -- no! And then there is the whole nicotine thing, it slows down healing- this is a major surgery- and I don't want to do anything to Sabotage myself. The surgeons that I am going to test everyone for nicotine - regardless if they say they smoke or not- they appear to have a very strong stance on this subject. My surgery at the earliest won't be until November-ish so I still have quite awhile to work on these habits- smoking - my addiction to caffeine - and my dislike for Water. When I get this surgery I want my life to change for the better- not just losing weight - I want to be healthy! I don't want to be 50 years old and having to carry around an oxygen tank. I know giving up smoking is going to be the hardest thing I have will ever have done in my life, followed closely behind by giving up sodas . I just have to realize that I am stronger than I give myself credit for!! We can do this-

My turn bout this cigarette issue.

We all had this surgery for one reason or other. food had became an addiction to me. However, it involved my behavior. Each one of us are responsible for our own behavior . I can't cast judgement or make a statement in regards to anyone's behavior but my own.

I will say this . Smoking slows down the healing process. We had a major surgery. There is a risk of clots due to smoking.

I quit back in August of this past year. I still crave them believe me I was actually thinking of running down to the store and picking up a pack to alleviate stress. I can't do it . This is a lifestyle change for me I like to live a few more years.

I was diagnosed in 2011 with cancer which metastasized to the lungs and other areas. I am still here but had to change my behavior in my life. I'd like to stay alive for lil while longer.

Hope this helps.

Former smoker and retired nurse

Please consider others before you pass judgement on anyone. This behavior is not called for. She asked a simple question. No need to slam an individual whatsoever .

It can and WILL give you an ulcer. Make it harder to heal, give you more loose skin, etc etc. please don't do it.

I began smoking after my surgery and smoked heavily for 6 months. Wtf was I thinking! I quit at last and am so glad I did. I was just replacing food with another oral addiction.

My doctor explained I would get ulcers from it and also I saw myself actually aging from it.

I know you can do this!! You can stay quit!!! Just keep saying, every day that passes I will want to smoke less.

Edited by bellabloom