Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Long Before You Recovered From Gastric Sleeve Surgery ?

im having a lot of pain today. i threw up after taking an antibiotic prescribed by my surgeon & that pain is nooooo F!%^*KING joke! how long was it before you felt some what recovered? like you could bend over with no pain.

well, I'm a pretty big sissy pants and I would have to say that it was a full two weeks before I began to feel human again. I had nausea, pain and could keep almost nothing down. Things really turned around at the 30 day mark and I would say that at that point, I didn't regret it anymore. I felt great, got a burst of energy, started moving more and eating and drinking a little and I didn't feel that gross feeling anymore :) you can't argue with the results... and how quickly you get them, so that makes it easier too :) Good luck and hope you have a speedy recovery.

I'm sorry, I cant help since I'm pre-op but I have a question..... what happened to your lips? You said they were busted ?

yeah... it was on the right side of my mouth both top & bottom lip was busted on the inside. my roommate too! but a friend who was also there for the sleeve didnt get her lip busted. it wasnt nothing major or an issue. it didnt hurt & wasnt noticable but it was some what swollen.

I'm sorry, I cant help since I'm pre-op but I have a question..... what happened to your lips? You said they were busted ?

my only issue on my first day home was coughing up phlegm. today it was throwing up from the antibiotics which caused a lot of pain. i had been having some pain from one of my incisions that was irritated which is why i was put on antibiotics. i guess we will see!

well, I'm a pretty big sissy pants and I would have to say that it was a full two weeks before I began to feel human again. I had nausea, pain and could keep almost nothing down. Things really turned around at the 30 day mark and I would say that at that point, I didn't regret it anymore. I felt great, got a burst of energy, started moving more and eating and drinking a little and I didn't feel that gross feeling anymore :) you can't argue with the results... and how quickly you get them, so that makes it easier too :) Good luck and hope you have a speedy recovery.

Hey jasleeve

welcome.gif Welcome home - i guess you had some issues - but its so good to see you.shades_smile.gif maybe you already posted, i'm just seeing you now. My WLS was 12/15/11

When I came home this past Saturday (surgery was on thursday), i hurt so very much, right side was killing mesad_smile.gif My really horrible times were when i got into the bed to sleep (wasn't very successful, and when i laid down trying to go to sleep) come to think of it, any motion like that. my husband had to help me alot.. By Wednesday i could tell i was "healing" a bit, slowly, but last night for the first time i could actually sleep on my side. You know we all heal differently.

One girl said on the board that she left the hospital after 3 hours. I think everyone on the board was shocked. Other people say there back to work in a couple of days! WOW - like i said we're all different.

Again, we all heal differently. I still can not bend over without some pain. My DH actually had to help "wipe" me a couple of different times in the bathroom ! TMI regular_smile.gif

So anyways, i am definitely not totally healed, but i'm on my way. And I think you're almost right next to me, bump2.gif almost caught upamen.gif

high5.gif I still take a nap at least once a day - so you do the same, relax you're getting better all the timesmile.gif

hug.gif kathy

thanks! i got home yesterday! i was having trouble wiping especially because the top of my hand is bruised & it grazes the toilet when pulling my hand out. :/

the pain after throwing up is crazy!! im laying in bed, hurting. i cant wait til after the pain is gone or atleast almost gone! sheesh!

Hey jasleeve

welcome.gif Welcome home - i guess you had some issues - but its so good to see you.shades_smile.gif maybe you already posted, i'm just seeing you now. My WLS was 12/15/11

When I came home this past Saturday (surgery was on thursday), i hurt so very much, right side was killing mesad_smile.gif My really horrible times were when i got into the bed to sleep (wasn't very successful, and when i laid down trying to go to sleep) come to think of it, any motion like that. my husband had to help me alot.. By Wednesday i could tell i was "healing" a bit, slowly, but last night for the first time i could actually sleep on my side. You know we all heal differently.

One girl said on the board that she left the hospital after 3 hours. I think everyone on the board was shocked. Other people say there back to work in a couple of days! WOW - like i said we're all different.

Again, we all heal differently. I still can not bend over without some pain. My DH actually had to help "wipe" me a couple of different times in the bathroom ! TMI regular_smile.gif

So anyways, i am definitely not totally healed, but i'm on my way. And I think you're almost right next to me, bump2.gif almost caught upamen.gif

high5.gif I still take a nap at least once a day - so you do the same, relax you're getting better all the timesmile.gif

hug.gif kathy

Sorry to hear u r in so much pain... is not much I can say since in pre-op but I do wish u feel better soon. Are u in pain med? Is it helping?

Sorry to hear u r in so much pain... is not much I can say since in pre-op but I do wish u feel better soon. Are u in pain med? Is it helping?

i am on pain meds that do work but it does ease off after awhile.

Jasleeve- I feel your pain girl! The memory is still so fresh to me! I woke up on the 5th or 6th morning and was sleeping on my stomach! At first I panicked about it but then I realized how comfortable I was, how I wasn't in any pain and I sort of passed out again. The 5th or 6th day was totally a turning point for me. I could sit up in bed without wanting to die. Take it easy and relax and rest while you can. I feel like no one really talks about the pain or the exhaustion.

man oh man.. i knew there would be pain. i knew it would be like my gall bladder but worse (since gall bladder is only 3 incisions) but last time i was with my ex who catered to me... & i was able to eat whatever i wanted!

i think thats the biggest struggle. not only are you in so much from the surgery but you cant even turn to food for some comfort. although I DO NOT regret surgery but it does make me emotional. :'(

Jasleeve- I feel your pain girl! The memory is still so fresh to me! I woke up on the 5th or 6th morning and was sleeping on my stomach! At first I panicked about it but then I realized how comfortable I was, how I wasn't in any pain and I sort of passed out again. The 5th or 6th day was totally a turning point for me. I could sit up in bed without wanting to die. Take it easy and relax and rest while you can. I feel like no one really talks about the pain or the exhaustion.

I am so happy to find your post here i have seen your videos in you tube and now i found you here. I'm pre-op I go see the surgeon on 1-5-12 surgery date 1-18-12. I am still nervous it is major surgery and who knows how your body is going to react. I reside in Tampa Florida. My surgeon is Dr. Alfredo Fernandez.

How long was your surgery?

Congratulations on your sleeve JASleeve. Please rest, take your pain meds, sip and walk when you can. It helps so much in your recovery. Before you know it, you will forget the pain. It will take some time but, getting fluids in will help you.

Take care