Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nothing Smells Right, Nothing Tastes Right - Wth!

Is this going to change? I am 16 days post op and nothing tastes good or smells good. Even my beloved coffee tastes horrible and the smell of it is like smelling an ash tray. I really thought I was going to grieve coffee. I've been drinking it since I was 12. Nope, don't miss it now. Everything is also too sweet or too salty. I have zero appetite and nothing tastes good so I am not eating like I should. I had some skim milk with a splash of egg nog earlier and I thought it was going to come back up. I even thought maybe they were sour or something the way my taste buds and stomach reacted to it. I had a small victory last night and got down about 1/3 cup Tomato Basil Soup watered down followed by Mylanta. I have thrown away so much food trying to find something that tastes good. I have about 6 or more different brands and types of Protein Drinks that I liked before surgery, but not anymore. They are all too sweet or leave a bad taste in my mouth.

So now I'm going to be cooking for the holiday, the kids are coming tonight so I am making a pot of 15 bean soup, my sons favorite and the smell of it is grossing me out! I use to love that soup and made it all the time when the kids were living at home. Doubt I'll be eating any of that this evening.

So tell me you experienced sleevers, do you get your taste buds back? Is this just temporary? Please say this to shall pass. I'd like to enjoy what little food I will be able to eat.

Oh, and even the smell of perfume and room spray smell really strong and nasty.

I'm the exact same way! I could not believe that I dislike sweets now such as chocolate but crave savory foods like Soup. Isn't that weird?! I think it is because they removed the part of my belly that secretes ghrelin, an appetite hormone.

Don't worry, everything does go back to normal. I was sleeved on 01/17/11, I couldn't even drink my pain meds right after surgery because the smell would make me puke. Just drink your liquids and know that everything will go back to normal. HAve a very merry Christmas!!! :)

I had a very similar exeperience during my first month or two. Slowly, my taste for some things has returned, but many things (sweets, most brands of Protein drinks, certain types of meats) still turn me off. On the good side, I have found that my taste seems to be more sensitive, and I can appreciate well seasoned food much more than I did pre-surgery.

I'm always amazed when I see these posts about tastes because for me, I have never lost my taste. As a matter of fact, everything tastes better. Hang in there I'm sure this will get better in time.

You are in ketosis right now. Search the site for some great posts concerning it.

Once you get your carbs back up to where they need to be, taste will be back.

I would say "this too shall pass". I had the same problems when I was in your shoes. I am now about 7 wks postop and things do taste better etc. I have been able to get back to drinking one kind of Protein Shake (EAS Advantedge chocolate Fudge). However, I have been able to pass up the goodies people bring in to the office, evening snacking, coffee and pop. Which are things I should skip anyways. That period, that you are experiencing right now, gave me a break from junk and helped me try other things and discovered I like savory and healthier food more. So although it was unpleasant to go through, it was very good for me in the long run. BTW, I do agree it's from Ketosis.

Well, I believe you are correct! I looked up Ketosis and the symptoms and that's all me! I kinda suspected it, I remembered about it from my old dieting days of low/no carbs, but I though I was getting enough carbs. Well I guess I'm not. I thought you had to be a zero carbs to get to Ketosis. Although I like the idea of buring fat for energy, I really want to slow down my weight loss. As it is now, 40 lbs down my face is looking tired and droopy, well I am tired and droopy! I prefer a more gradual weight loss so I don't shock the heck of out people when they see me. I don't want to hear it from them. Especially the dreaded "Are you okay?" My Son said I look awful, tried and weak. Well Son, I am tired and weak, I'm freaking starving although I'm NOT hungry and have zero appetite. I got to start on soft foods this week. Yay, but nothing tastes good!

So how many carbs do I need to eat to get out of this? I need to get my energy back and feel better. That's the whole reason I had the surgery!

Thanks for all the feedback!

I would shoot for about 60 g a day. I was able to do this by eating cooked veggies. Soft cheese was good, too. It may mean undercutting your Protein by a bit, but try to find the balance as you are able to eat more as the days pass.