Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve Surgery Date Set.....low Bmi

First I just want to tell everyone how helpful this site, forum,blog is to those of us that are just finding it. I am a self pay, and having surgery with Dr. Alvarez on March 13th....I'm so excited! I do have a low BMI and knew insurance would never pay for me to have, what I'm considering to be (or at least hoping) a life changing choice. I have about 55 - 60 lbs to lose, but want to do this before I have 100 to lose. I have read so many times on here that the only wish would be to have had the surgery sooner. I have fought the yo-yo diets for years and I'm just ready to not have that worry on my mind 24/7. As i am preparing mentally for my surgery I often wonder what life will feel like on the other side, or "loser bench" as its called. I would love to hear input from anyone with a low bmi and what your surgery experience has been. Have you lost what you were hoping to lose. Again, I want to tell you all thank you so much. My husband is the ONLY person that knows about the planned surgery. The only reason I'm not telling anyone is because I have lost the weight so many times only to put it plus an extra 5 so many times. I don't want to feel like a failure once again. This site is my support and salvation right now....THANK YOU!!!!

Hi Texas girl!

I did the same thing. I had a low bmi and I only have about 50-60 to loose. I went to Dr. Garcia in Tijuana. I am one month out and feeling ok. Still struggling to get my Water and Protein quotas daily...but other than that...no problems at all. It has been difficult to go through the holidays and eat when I can't have what my family is having but I will get over it. I am down 20lbs this month so that is good. I can now have some soft solids from what my doctor told me and the things I couldn't wait to have don't taste right. Ughh...I've tried to cheat and eat pizza topping, and ice cream...amongst other things...but they taste like crap! All food tastes bad except for baked fish and soft cooked leafy veggies like spinach...what the what?!?!? I didn't realize that my tastebuds would change too!

I know this sounds cool...but it is a big mental and emotional adjustment. I am realizing how much I relied on food to make me feel ok. I have found that now I have to stay busy just to keep my mind off of eating. So I'm working on getting some hobbies going. I have to replace the solace that I used to receive through food. I kind of wish I had have prepared myself a bit more mentally for this change. I didn't search this board like I should have before I had my surgery. But I will adjust and overcome. As everyone will tell you...time makes everything better. You will see healing milestones everyday. That's the awesome thing about this surgery.

Whatever the case we are making room for you on the loser's bench over here...come on girl!!! Get ready for some loose hanging clothes and renewed confidence. I swear I look 10 years younger...not sure why but even my husband noticed. He loved me before...but he doesn't notice how much more loving he is now. He loves to cuddle and pick me up now...so come on over to the "light" side!!!

Congrats on your decision - I was considered a light weight - my BMI was about 35 at surgery - I was self pay in Mexico as well. I thought I wanted lose about 75 and ...so far I have lost 93. I am 144.4 today with a bmi of 22. I am 5'8". Like you only my husband and family know I had surgery. I figure I have lost about 2500 pounds over the past 15 years and gained about 2550 :{.

Best decision I have ever made! Best wishes!

Thank yall so much. I hope the next 2 months goes by fast. One thing I'm worried about is the pre-op diet. How long do you think I will need to be on it? I have read many times on here were people have lost 10 - 30 lbs. If I lose that much I will get to Mexico and be told to leave - lol. What can I expect?

depending on your surgeon you may or may not have a pre op diet. i had dr kelly and was only required a 3 day preo-op....you wont be turned away. all of us light weights had those same concerns.....although there were a few of us that had some issues at a certain hospital in Tijuana (scroll through this forum and you'll see what i'm talking about).

good luck in your journey!

My BMI was 33.3 on the day of surgery. Today my BMI is 23.7 I've lost 60 lbs. with the sleeve. I've been maintaining since May. I could NEVER have done this on my own NEVER, I ALWAYS gained it back and then some. This tool has been a life savor for me!

Hello everyone,

What a relief to find a few others with low BMIs! I’m Fiona and I was sleeved on 12/15 by Dr. Jossart in SF. At 14 days out, I’ve lost 9 lbs and am now officially stalled at 155. Seems strange to be stalled while still on liquids but my body’s never been very cooperative when it comes to weight loss. I’ve been watching others on this site lose 15-20 lbs on their first two weeks….it just doesn’t seem fair:-)

Still, moving onward, I started doing 20 minutes on the treadmill yesterday (fast walk, no run or jog). I’ve been getting 64 oz of Water each day, along with about 70 grams of Protein. I take 15 grams each of carb and fat. Tomorrow, I get to start on soft foods – yippee!

Anyway, that’s my story. I’m so happy to have found this thread as it’s given me the opportunity to post here for the first time.

Good luck on everyone’s journey and I hope to touch base with you again soon.

Fiona

5', HW 185, 1st consult 170, SW 164, GW 105

CW 155

Hi guys- first post! I'm researching this procedure and am 99% convinced it will be right for me. I have a low BMI also (currently at 31) BUT I also have diabetes and high blood pressure (thanks to not so great genes). I really appreciate low BMI comments, as like many of you, I have 50-75 to lose and love hearing how it's working for others. With having the surgery in Mexico, how did you conversations go with your local care providers? I'm really on the fence. I've heard Dr Alvarez is great, but I'm struggling about going to Mexico....

Hi Christynbj, welcome to the forum! I love talking to low BMI's also! I'll be honest, its kinda hard to put it out there and then get support when you only have 50, 60, or 70 to lose. I was actually beat up on this site when I first put it out there. I stood my ground and I'm so happy with my decision. As far as Alvarez, he seems amazing. I have actually emailed him questions and he gets back to me within just a few hours. What US doctor does that? I have researched about the him, the hospital, etc. I know he is a little higher, but feel like its worth it. I would be more than happy to share my info with you, just PM me.

Best of luck!

Texas Girl,

Our stories sound so much alike AND I'm from TX too! Low BMI, 60-75 to lose, yo-yo dietinnbg, etc. I'm in Waco. Where are you?

Hi guys. I was sleeved Nov. 3rd by dr kelly. I was at a bmi of 31, weighed 164.4. It hasn't been an easy few months, but i would totally do it again. Be prepared for a few rough weeks, but after the first month or so it's all good. I do really miss food though. But i guess i'm starting to learn to "enjoy" the food more than before. I don't think i really tasted food before, i was kind of a glutton :) , where as now i eat so slowly that i do really savour food! Lol. So, three months later i weigh in at 121. I don't know what my bmi is...i haven't updated my ticker. The sleeve is an awesome tool, but just be prepared that the beginning can be rough. If you have any questions, etc feel free to pm me!

After much family discussion, and a financial gift from my mom, I will be self-paying with Dr. Billing in Edmonds, WA instead of making the trip to Mexico. I'm going to his info session tomorrow, and will make a consultation appt shortly. My endocrinologist wanted me to wait (and in fact said he wouldn't choose VSG because of the lack of long term data) until my blood sugar was stabilized with insulin etc. (Oh, and he wanted to see how much weight I would gain with insulin too.) No thanks. My blood sugar is good- within the target ranges....I'm going for it.

I'm happy to have found this thread - I consider myself a lightweight with a BMI of 34.9 and about 60-70 lbs to lose. Dieting over and over again and sometimes successful in the short term but always gain it back. My body likes weighing 190 lbs! But I'm only 5'2 and this cannot be good for me in the long run. I've basically been a size 16 for about 12 years now, and I'm just *waiting* until I develop problems secondary to carrying around this extra weight!

I also have a weird self image problem. I know I'm overweight, but I "feel" normal. I don't "see" myself as overweight as I am, then I'll have my picture taken, look at it and go, "WHOA! Who is THAT?"

I think that if this surgery ends up being so successful for a lot of people, that it should be considered a preventative measure in the U.S. But of course the U.S. healthcare system doesn't do prevention. Blah.

Curious to hear how the "lightweights" are healing & loosing. I am scheduled to be sleeved by Dr. Alvarez in MX on 6/29/12. I currently have a BMI of 34 & weigh 200 lbs @ 5'4. My weight lost goals are approx. 60-65lbs also.

I can't answer but I'm to be sleeved in just a few days. I started the 3 day liquid pre op diet yesterday and did a lot better than I thought I would. I'm trying to drink as much Water as I possibly can so that I will go into surgery very well hydrated - that helps you recover better.

If you'd like to text or stay in touch and need some support, please feel free to PM me and we can text! I can tell you that when I was choosing a doctor, I face timed with Dr. Alvarez and I love him!! You are in great hands!!!