Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve Surgery Date Set.....low Bmi

I am glad to see I'm not the only one with a low BMI who is going to have the surgery because of 50-60 lbs.

My goal was to lose 60 lbs and I'm more than halfway there thanks to VSG. This is the best thing I've ever done. I finally feel somewhat in control of my eating habits thanks to this wonderful tool.

People are so judge mental with what others do. I am doing this to save myself from getting even bigger. I have it in my genes and history has been proving it for the past several years. Why should I be criticized for wanting to remain healthy and active?! That's why only 2 people know of my surgery on April 15. Everyone else just thinks I'm going on a vacation.

Why should I be criticized for wanting to remain healthy and active?! That's why only 2 people know of my surgery on April 15. Everyone else just thinks I'm going on a vacation.

Great! What you do with your body is no one's business. I only told a handful of people and everyone else is just amazed by how good I look. :-)

Thanks go out to whoever started this topic. I have a BMi of 34.9. As I got older :-) the weight was not easy to get off. I have now turned 40 and want to do something for myself that will make me feel good physically and mentally. My husband was against me going fearing for my safety and health. He thinks I can just go exercise and take it off; what about the pounds coming back on as soon as I sit down and put something in my mouth. I am 5'7 and weigh 223 pounds. Since I am tall and my weight is mainly in my hips and thighs everyone tells me I look good for my size. They don't see me with my clothes off; they don't know how I feel walking up the stairs and getting tired on walks.

I wrote my PCP and told her my plans (I had not seen her in a while) she responded back to me and said that she would recommend the sleeve out of all surgeries as long as I have research the doctor and feel comfortable. She also said that she would do my follow-up visits every 3 months. I happen to bump into her yesterday as she was leaving her office. She told me that I looked good and did not need to have the surgery as long as my BMI was low; duh' date=' it's not. However, she asked for me to try other options, but would still support me if I decide to go. Guess what? I will be following up with her after my surgery May 10.

I have stopped telling people because I don't want to hear about me not needing it or Mexico not being safe. I am traveling only with God, wish I could take someone but don't want to spend the extra money for someone to tag along. I know that I have the best traveling partner; God will keep me safe from all harm. That’s all I need.[/quote']

I know how you feel. I told one of my friends and she said, "You're not that big". This is a person who thought her life was over when she gained 30 pounds during pregnancy and dropped the weight in 3 months. Like you, I don't te people anymore. The next person that opposes may not get a nice response.

I'm lower BMI, but my parents, family and husband are supportive. I come from a family of overweight and morbidly obese women, both sides. I literally have one skinny aunt. They know where I am headed. I'm not going to wait, this gets worse, and k am full of regrets of not tackling this weight issue sooner. Good luck to you all :)

Top Ten Reasons to "not" have WLS. Great video that addresses the main objections you'll hear from friends/family.

Liz,

My surgery date is May 2, with Dr. Illan in Tijuana, I have a friend getting hers done this week on Tues. March 26th. I'm anxious to hear how her surgery goes, so I know what to look forward to. When is your surgery date?

Pennjogs

I read all 16 pages of this thread on my phone and loved them all! I am 29 5'2 with a bmi 33-35 183-188 depending on the scale, time, day or month. I had been going back and forth on what dr to go with but while reading this thread I placed my deposit for dr Garcia on 5/31. My whole family has obese with diabetes, hbp, strokes, heart disease well you name it they got it. I am revising from the lapband to sleeve and started out well and but started having problem with pain and vomiting. With the lapband I told my parents and my sister and of course my husband but didn't get the support I intended especially from my sister. She is very critical and thinks she has all the answers. So none of them will be told about the surgery. My husband is starting to come around. I told him if he wasn't going to be supportive then I didn't want him to go with me and I would do it alone. He has some time to get use to it. I too am tired of being told " you're not that fat". The fact of the matter is that I am and that I am heading down the road of taking 20 pills a day like the rest of my family because they refuse to do anything about their weight. As for the stupid comments I would like to add mine. My husband is 6'1 and 165 pounds. A stick! Many years ago (we've been together since I was 15 and 117 pounds) after I have put on much "love" weight we saw someone we knew from high school and she said well I know who's been eating everything at your house! It took everything in me not to beat the crap out of her! Lol

Good luck to everyone and let's keep this one going!

Hi all! I am so glad I found a low bmi thread! I am scheduled with Dr. Garcia April 12th. 1 week!! Can't wait!! I'm going through the 16 pages of posts now. Thanks for sharing!!

Hi all! I am so glad I found a low bmi thread! I am scheduled with Dr. Garcia April 12th. 1 week!! Can't wait!! I'm going through the 16 pages of posts now. Thanks for sharing!!

I had surgery w/ Dr. Garcia 12/19/2012 and had a very positive experience. You are in good hands. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or I can be of support in any way.

I had surgery w/ Dr. Garcia 12/19/2012 and had a very positive experience. You are in good hands. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or I can be of support in any way.

Thx!! How do you message you? Sorry, I'm new on here. :)

Thx!! How do you message you? Sorry, I'm new on here. :)

Click on my name and then "send me a message."

I am my biggest critic. No one, but myself told me how fat and gross I am/was. Luckily,my high school friend is a therapist and weight struggler just like me. My attitude towards self image and acceptance has greatly improved.

We can only do this for ourselves and no one else. Whether we are combating or preventing health issues, it's for us

Welcome Annamac! I'm April 12th also!