Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise What Kind Do You Do?

Hey Everyone,

Please share with us what your form of exercise is. For me I knew working out in a gym was never going to work. I just hated the thought of “having” to go to a gym and working out. For many others this is just want they need. The have a personal trainer—great thing to do. I know me and that just didn’t appeal to me. confused.gif

For me walking was something that didn’t really require a lot of equipment and was something that most anyone can do. This is what I have learned about walking.cool2.gif

“Walk for 45 minutes a day. The reason we’re suggesting 45 minutes instead of the typical 30 is that a Duke University study found that while 30 minutes of daily walking is enough to prevent weight gain in most relatively sedentary people, exercise beyond 30 minutes results in weight and fat loss. Burning an additional 300 calories a day with three miles of brisk walking (45 minutes should do it) could help you lose 30 pounds in a year without even changing how much you’re eating.”callme.gif

I found this information on the Web about walking a long time ago. So I knew I was changing my lifestyle when it came to eating, which means that I could lose a lot more weight if I just walked. It really has worked for me and also relieved stress in my life too. In the winter time, I walk inside a mall. I also swim now and then too. heart.gif

I would love to hear what you do for exercise. Let’s share some ideas, it might just help others. bowdown.gif

Suzanne

Sleeved 10/21/2008

Lost 105 pounds.

I hike 6 miles a week. I play the Wii michael jackson the experience. it is a dancing game that is so much fun, and before I know it I am sweating and breathing hard. Its like Im not even exercising, but really I am kicking butt! :)

I got into a cardio kickboxing class at my gym. I went the first time never expecting to go back (a friend talked me into it) and now, less than 3 months later, I am doing my video taping to become a kick boxing instructor because I love it so much. It never feels like I "have" to go work out, but I always get in a great fun work out that flies by in 60 minutes. It has cardio and conditioning so I am not missing out by not walking/jogging or by not lifting weights. I cannot express how much I love it and I feel it really motivated me and kept me going in this weight loss process. I jog on the treadmill, and do a spin class and lift weights every now and again, but seriously, I do the carido kickboxing 3-5 times a week and am going to teach my own class starting in January. Far cry from the morbidly obese girl posting on here 9 months ago!!

I'm training for a triathlon, so I hike and jog about 12 miles a week (mon-fri) and then I do what's called a brick workout where I swim a half mile and immediately bike 6-10 miles after my swim. I'm only 6 weeks out and i feel amazing!!! Even though I belong to a gym, I don't care for it and only go there to swim....although I'll probably start doing some weight training after the first of the year.

I'm still working on building up my walking endurance. Still at 1.5 miles on the treadmill at 2.5 mph. I did some not so nice things to my knee by pushing a hair too hard, so I've been instructed to stay there until it's "easy" by my PCP. I also ride the exercise bike for 30 minutes a couple of times a week, and I'm doing VERY light weights, but high repetitions, hoping to build some definition in my arms.

I'm aiming to do the C25K in a few pounds and maybe add some other weights in once I'm used to what I'm doing now.

started walking, then walk jog...up to 3 mile jog now, try and do twice a week mixed in with elipitical for 40-45 min twice a week and bike on the weekend.

Went for a 36 mi ride last sunday...whew! my personal longest!!!

the best part is that it was after my wifes christmas party, which in the past, I prolly would have had a few too many drinks and appetizers and slept in all day. Now I was soooooo looking forward to the bike ride...funny how your life changes...

Always good to get a combination cardio/resistance training in. I do a good bit of walking, hoping to get more into jogging as I lose weight. I loved lifting weights before surgery and still enjoy doing it now as well. Don't underestimate the cardio effect of lifting weights. Always ease into it if you've not lifted in a while and then once you're into for several weeks, you can raise the lifting intensity and really get the heart rate up by lifting as well as cycling and running. Whole body lifts such as dead lifts, power cleans, etc really get that heart pumping! If you've never been in to lifting, that doesn't mean you can't do these lifts. Lighter weight and more reps are just fine, you don't have to pile on a bunch of weight. Kettle bells are good to use for these type lifts as well.

http://www.sparksportconditioning.com/why-olympic-lifting

http://weighttraining.about.com/od/techniquesandstrategies/a/weights_cardio.htm

http://www.livestrong.com/article/119187-cardio-weight-lifting-weight-loss/

weight.png

Right now I am just walking/power walking on my treadmill at home. I am doing about 25 miles a week. I plan on doing a lot more but right now I am still healing so I am taking it slow. When I break 200 in about 20 or so pounds, I will start lifting weights so I can try and rid myself of any flab in the future.

I hired a personal trainer who I see twice a week, the other 4 days I either walk on the treadmill or ride the stationary bike for 45 minutes. The weight training has made all the difference in the world in the way my body looks.

Walking is good exercise. I have knee problems so cant jog or do certain other things, but I can walk up and down hills which gives me a good heart pounding workout,. I haven't gotten back up to my preop levels, but i will....

I alternate between c25k and stationary bike in the mornings, plus yoga at lunch twice a week. The yoga has been really great for a bit of strength training, but especially for helping my mind keep up with the physical changes in my body. It's sort of like I spend an hour twice a week getting reacquainted with the new me.

I got into a cardio kickboxing class at my gym. I went the first time never expecting to go back (a friend talked me into it) and now, less than 3 months later, I am doing my video taping to become a kick boxing instructor because I love it so much. It never feels like I "have" to go work out, but I always get in a great fun work out that flies by in 60 minutes. It has cardio and conditioning so I am not missing out by not walking/jogging or by not lifting weights. I cannot express how much I love it and I feel it really motivated me and kept me going in this weight loss process. I jog on the treadmill, and do a spin class and lift weights every now and again, but seriously, I do the carido kickboxing 3-5 times a week and am going to teach my own class starting in January. Far cry from the morbidly obese girl posting on here 9 months ago!!

@forxgirl74 cardio kickboxing is something I have always wanted to do, but I will not be sleeved until March and at 260 lbs. I feel like I am totally out of shape and would not be able to handle the class, do you have any advice on any workouts I could do to get myself ready for a cardio kickboxing class and how much shoud I lose before I start a kickboxing class???

I am just about 4 weeks post, and I just started going to the gym on Saturday, but I have been steadily walking 2.5-4 miles at least 6 times a week for about 3 weeks now.

I am taking a wonderful Water cardio and weights class in the pool at my gym Mon, Wed, and Sat, and Ballet on Thurs. (I'm in musical theatre so I need to get my core back!!!) On Tues and Fri I am walking 3-5 miles, and giving myself Sunday off...but I eventually want to replace the walking with Zumba classes in a month or so!

I do the Elliptical for 30-45 min then do the treadmill for 20-30 min..I said once I get under 200 then I will start my weight training again.