Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Much Cheese Do You Eat In A Day?

Hi, everyone! As a vegetarian sleever, currently in India, I currently find myself strapped for Protein options. I mainly do Protein shakes, Protein Bars, lentils, yogurt, Peanut Butter, and cheeses (including paneer, which is sort of like cottage cheese).

On some days, I might have a maximum of one ounce of cheese. On other days, however, I catch myself eating maybe 3 ounces of paneer, 1 to 2 ounces of cheese, and 2 tbsp of peanut butter all on one day. This is partially my fault, because I see it happen on days where I don't drink my Protein shake, or on days where my fridge is not well stocked with protein options.

Today was one of those days! In my head, this all sounds like way too much fat. So, the question is, how much cheese is too much? While the paneer may be a smidgen lower in fat than cheddar or peanut butter, it's still fatty, I assume.

I try not to eat high fat foods, but I don't worry about the amount in cheese. I probably eat 2-3 ounces of cheese per day. I avoid fried foods, "cream of" Soups (unless it's clam chowder, yum) and I avoid milk because it doesn't like me right now.

I know nothing about vegetarian eating except that I'm not sure how I'd get complete Proteins in my body that way. Good luck!! I'm reading this section to see what other alternatives there are for Protein. :)

Thanks, Lissa! I get half my Protein in from my Protein shake. It's when I don't drink that, that I end up scrounging for Proteins and find it in bad places.

My nutritionist had told me to avoid Peanut Butter because of the fat, but it's so popular on here that I started eating it! It really helps with my calorie and protein intake!

Puja, you might investigate the PB2, which is a powdered peanut butter--they remove a good chunk of the fat. You mix it to Peanut Butter consistency with Water or add it to Protein shakes--all the benefits/flavor of Peanut Butter minus the fat!

I probably eat 2-3 ounces of cheese daily, and I eat nuts, too. I honestly don't worry too much about the fat in these, since I'm not eating a lot of fat these days in other foods. That being said, I don't go crazy with them (can't--sleeve's working!!), and if there's a low-fat option, like low-fat cottage cheese, I'll certainly take that. Mostly, though, I just eat regular stuff--regular cheese, regular milk, regular whatever--and so far it's been fine. I don't know what your calorie or nutritional goals are, though; I'm not in a hurry and have been pretty pleased with progress so far, so I don't feel the need to necessarily be as strict as others might be. :-)

It depends, on my mood. I find myself having these periods of craving something all the time, and that will be all that I will eat. I will eat it for Breakfast lunch and dinner. I know not the best thing from a nut point of view.

But then it's like a phase or something, because it will pass and it is on to the next thing. I don't know but I make sure to get all my fluids in.

MegInNola, is sounds like you've balanced things out really well, and your results show it! I did read about the PB2, but it's not available in India. I'll be sure to get it once I reach the US. Sounds like a lifesaver!

I'm allowed 800 to 1000 calories, and require 60-80 grams of Protein. I usually hover around the lower ends of each.

Thinoneday, string cheese is much lower in fat and calories, if I understand correctly. Good for you!

Anewme, I completely understand! When I first got onto soft foods, I started with Beans and cheese. I fell in love with it, and ate it all day long! Now, I can no longer stand it. It makes me want to gag, seriously.

I hope I don't get sick of cheeses, because they add so much variety!

I'm virtually veggie too.

cheese is my addiction. I find myself going for high quality high Protein cheese (low fat mozzarella, cottage cheese, home made paneer, home made ricotta) and adding it to almost every "meal".

I am still losing plenty of weight on it, in fact I'm down to 135 lbs!

Sirensiren, that's wonderful! 135 pounds! Do you know approximately how many ounces of cheese you are getting in per day?

I haven't been doing anything low carb, like Ravenjeh. I only measure calories and Proteins.

Is ricotta easy to make? Have you got a recipe that you might be willing to share?

Thanks! :) I'm quite thrilled with my progress!

I eat 8-12 oz of cheese a day. I love it. I probably should cut back.

I used this recipe a while ago, and now I remember it from memory: http://cheese.about.com/od/homecheesemaking/ss/making_ricotta.htm

Most cheese from the store is crap with xanthan gum, preservatives, thickeners etc. from my investigation. My family is from Europe so I'm a bit of a cheese snob ;) I figure with as little as we can eat, we might as well eat the best stuff possible.

I probably do need to watch my fat intake. I have been snacking on cashews and I saute my husbands veggies in butter each night, and have a small amount of those with my Protein.

Puja -- there is a lot of fat in Peanut Butter but it is really good, and I can see why it is popular in India. But the thing I'd worry about more than the fat is that PB is all Omega 6 fat and not Omega 3. If you like nut butters, almond butter is also yummy and is all omega-3. Much better for weight loss and most people don't get enough. Also if you're a veggie you'll be getting a lot of omega-6 in your cooking oil -- corn, soybean, canola, etc.

cheese is on my Drs list of things I can never eat again :( I love cheese and miss it.

TBH I do not always follow my surgeons advice and often check out what the concesus from other surgeons is in some cases, such as Water and eating: my surgeon says to not drink Water a full hour before eating, and to not drink water a full hour after eating.. I can't do it! I wait 30 minutes and 30 minutes, which seems to be what most surgeons recommend. I also find water makes me more full, not less, so I am not so strict about avoiding it.

I'm not suggesting you do that with cheese, but I doubt (unless there are special medical situations with you) that enjoying occasional cheese would be an issue?