Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Want To Cheat - 10 Days Post Gastric Sleeve Surgery

I am pretty much sucking my lower lip. On 10th day out from surgery and on Clear Liquids. I can't take it anymore. They don't even allow sf Jello. I hate sweets and find sf sweet sickening. I'm not pishing as much as I take in (3 to 4 17 oz bottles) plus a few cups of lowsalt no fat broth. Ice pops freeze my mouth. I'm going nuts and I'm ready to take a bite of cheese or other solid food without talking to the doc or nurse. I hate this.

Rosy, Are you allowed anything besides clear liquids? Applesauce, cottage cheese, etc? Try changing up and having some Soup. I ate the liquid from a bowl of egg drop Soup very early post op and it was divine! LOL

When are you allowed mushies? Probably in 4 days? Just hang tought and it will be worth it. Every surgeon is different, but the rules are in place to help keep us from damaging the sleeve. It's hard waiting for the next stage, but it's worth it to avoid a leak.

I have seen some posters say that they chewed on ice at this stage, just to have something to chew in their mouths. Would that be a solution for you?

Good luck!!

No nothing except clear liquid and if I could have egg drop Soup id eat I but it has to be LOW sodium not reduced sodum which tastes like sticking a rag in Water ad sucking that! U honestly think sugar free Jello is going to wreck a titanium sleeve? Or stretch the stomach? These post op diets are so blankety blank arbitarary, I'll bed u the rent that no doc actually know why they rx them as they do. Mine was made for rny but they say it doesn't matter what kinda surgery...no substitutions in great big cap letters. Wouldn't even allow chewing gum (sf).

I do suck ice...sf ice pops and my lips are frozen.

This isn't a joke and I don't believe stretching the sleeve or causing a leak is the issue. They are testing compliance.

Its a hunk of bull bleep. I hate it. I regret it. I d not recommend it. I want a refund. Its a big mistake. If u are reading this pre op don't do it. Change your mind. I'm not hungry but I want something in my mouth

You will change your mind when you can eat anything in moderation and you feel and look amazing. And trust me, you will!

Rosy, I'm sorry you're having a really rough day. At least it sounds like it. I wouldn't worry about the sodium in the egg drop Soup right this minute. I agree that the liquid diet right after surgery STINKS! The only good thing that comes out of it is that we usually drop a big chunk of weight.

I wish I could give you a hug and make you feel better. I know this is the worst time.

You probably have already done it, but a call to your doctor might be in order? Maybe he or she would agree to let you move to at least full liquids?

I'm not allowed gum, either. Only, I'm not allowed to have it EVER again, according to my doc and my nut. They tell me that it's because I might swallow the gum by accident and block my opening. I didn't realize that the opening had been tightened that much!

(((Rosy))) Good luck!! I do think the head part of this is the toughest for us all.

If you think it's just to test you, then why are you complying? If it's arbitrary then have something not clear. How will they know? My point is: Everything is arbitrary to a degree; this is the human body, not a machine. You have to make the best, educated decision for YOU.

And please, please don't tell others not to do it just because you're having a bad day. I don't think that's entirely fair. You're having an emotional reaction, not a rational one. Yeah, it sucks, but the idea was to limit the food intake. It's major surgery. You just had 85 percent of your stomach removed - clearly you're not going to be eating steak right after.

If you think it's just to test you, then why are you complying? If it's arbitrary then have something not clear. How will they know? My point is: Everything is arbitrary to a degree; this is the human body, not a machine. You have to make the best, educated decision for YOU.

And please, please don't tell others not to do it just because you're having a bad day. I don't think that's entirely fair. You're having an emotional reaction, not a rational one. Yeah, it sucks, but the idea was to limit the food intake. It's major surgery. You just had 85 percent of your stomach removed - clearly you're not going to be eating steak right after.

I agee with Ocean Ophelia. You are hitting a brick wall and you just need to take it one day at a time and break thru it. . I am 10 days out too, feel your pain, and DYING for real food. I am on full liquids that includes applesauce and strained Soups. I am having a really hard time not eating, but I am down 11 pounds and starting to get the hang of this new little tummy I have. I am guilty of chewing and spitting, just because I am so tired of sweets and want the flavor and texture of food in my mouth again!!! I am not recommending it, but DAMN it is gooood!

Just get thru the next 4 days, you really have no choice at this point. This journey will not be easy, but it will be worth it. This stage is only temporary. Short term scarifice, long term gain.

Jello tastes like hell post-op anyway. I tried various kind but I couldn't handle sweets at all, even one tbsp of sugar in my coffee was way too sweet for me.

Feeling like you want to cheat is okay. However keep in mind you're physically unable to cheat anyway. 3 weeks post op I had an insane craving for lasagna, bought a piece and realized that even one well-chewed bite was way too heavy for me to handle.

i was allowed full liquids from day 2 till day 10, then mushies for the next 2 weeks, then full diet after that. you doc sounds really strict.... sorry. you can do it. just a little longer.

Lisa, ocean and all,

You are all correct and so am I! I think we all paint too rosy/easy a picture to people just researching this procedure. Yes, my reaction is emotional....yes, I read @ that before and no, I'm not surprised that I'm feeling like this. What surprises me is that I'm not feeling or behaving worse than this.

The ketosis breath stopped yesterday. I don't know if that's common or not. Everyone talks about how much they run to void and I just have a major bout of voiding in the morning after my medication (I am allowed to swallow nexium, cardizem synthroid and pradaxa). It takes me 3 hours to get up and ready to leave the house. The rest of the day you wouldn't believe that I'm drinking 3 to 4 btles of plain Water or low sodium broth.

I remember asking the q about having regrets an almost every post vsg'er said "only regret is not doing it sooner". Well, how can I go wrong, if that's the case?

But truly all of u taking the time to respond: u don't know me from adam but you care enough to take the time to write an impassioned, mostly encouraging, reply. For that I am very grateful and thank you all for being here!

We're a motley crew and I feel a deep sense of belonging....

You sound like you are feeling a little better now Rosy. I agree the first month is HARD. I don't think you will find a single person on this board that will say they never at least thought "Why the H**L did I do this"? during the first month. My doc is like yours and is really strict. Heck I am almost 5 months out and I am not even allowed to swallow a pill, everything must be crushed and this is forever! But I have followed the rules, and I have to say I have not had one complication. Not even any nausea. Just hang in there and vent as much as you need to us. We are all in the same boat and at least one person here has exactly what you are experiencing at any time. Just take a deep breath and remind yourself how great you are going to look and feel in just a few months.

Ps Lissa

I did have a couple cups of reduced sodium chicken Soup that I thought was the answer to my prayers only to realize that reduced sodium is waaaaay different from LOW sodium : u wouldnt believe the guilt!

I'm also down 11 lbs exactly...I can tie my shoes without sitting down and raising my leg to bring my foot closer. So I am hitting some important strides...just drives me nutz some folks can do it with one week of clear and one week of full etc. I don't know what this program has in store for me after I see the doc on Tuesday. So I can't anticipate nothing. Maybe he'll opt for another 2 week clear. At this point, I may walk out of the office and not look back....

Wow viking fan! The pill situation is partly what makes me resistant to taking everything the surgeon says to the strictest letter of the law! I'm not any type of scientist but I knew that nexium couldn't be crushed and shouldn't be opened but the doc said I should open the capsul and swallow it that way (mixed in liquids). It wasn't until the visiting nurse called the doc's office for me to report that those little round pellets were showing up in the excreta that they allowed me to swallow that pill whole.

So tell me something: how come they didn't know what I knew by reading the package insert??? How come my report to the nurse in the doc's office telling the same thing didn't get a response? Why does what I say not carry the same weight as what the VN said for me? My friends are all "OH GROW UP AND LEARN TO BE COMPLIANT1. WHY DO YOU ALWAYS HAVE TO PUSH THE LIMITS?" But that ain't how I stopped them from giving me an IV shot of blood thinner after they said I would be swallowing my pradaxa that night. I'm self advocating. Doesn't anyone do that anymore?

I think people on this forum are really beginning to get mean. A few weeks ago someone put up a post about not attacking each other and I"m going to reiterate. I was just recently attacked several days ago and i just want to make a point. We are here to support each other, not knock each other down. This forum was a God send when I had my surgery and I am so thankful to have met so many supportive people cheering me on so now I'm going to cheer on Rosy.

Rosy this is a difficult journey and I have to say that your doctor has made it more difficult for you with the strict diet that he has you on. I'm not going to knock a doctor and I certainly don't know your condition or the reasons why you are on this strict diet but I can tell you that if I had to be on that strict a diet 10 days post op I would want to cheat too. I know that right now you are feeling like you made the worst decision of your life but really once you pass this hurdle you will look back on this and say to yourself "omg thank God that's over, but thank God I did it and the worst is behind me" keep holding on keep on trying keep on because I can tell you that it will be so worth it when your health has improved and you just feel better.

Keep your chin up and keep plugging away and don't cheat, but if you have to cheat cheat with something that's not so bad like low sodium broth....you should not feel guilt about that sweetie, you feel guild about a sundae:))

I think people on this forum are really beginning to get mean. A few weeks ago someone put up a post about not attacking each other and I"m going to reiterate. I was just recently attacked several days ago and i just want to make a point. We are here to support each other, not knock each other down. This forum was a God send when I had my surgery and I am so thankful to have met so many supportive people cheering me on so now I'm going to cheer on Rosy.

Rosy this is a difficult journey and I have to say that your doctor has made it more difficult for you with the strict diet that he has you on. I'm not going to knock a doctor and I certainly don't know your condition or the reasons why you are on this strict diet but I can tell you that if I had to be on that strict a diet 10 days post op I would want to cheat too. I know that right now you are feeling like you made the worst decision of your life but really once you pass this hurdle you will look back on this and say to yourself "omg thank God that's over, but thank God I did it and the worst is behind me" keep holding on keep on trying keep on because I can tell you that it will be so worth it when your health has improved and you just feel better.

Keep your chin up and keep plugging away and don't cheat, but if you have to cheat cheat with something that's not so bad like low sodium broth....you should not feel guilt about that sweetie, you feel guild about a sundae:))

You're funny. A sundae wouldn't even make me blink. A potatochip, maybe but not a sundae!

I don't feel attacked and I don't know where I wuld be without th forum. We all need to learn to seprate the chaff from the grain and blow it off. Not everyone has the ability to respond but all who respond do care at one level or another.

I can't believe I actually slept! Thanks.