Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cesarean Vs Gastric Sleeve Surgery ?

Hi all,

So, I'm trying to prepare myself for the post-op recovery and pain, etc. I just had a c-section in March, and that's pretty major. I know I wasn't knocked out, so I can't compare the general anesthesia issues, but overall, I wonder if the recovery is about the same amount of pain/work?

Has anyone on here had both a cesarean and a sleeve? Can you speak to which was better/worse or what the similarities were?

I'm just trying to gauge what to expect, and I guess I figure if I made it through the c-section ok, and handled the pain, recovery, incision, etc, that I'll be totally fine and prepared for sleeve recovery...

thanks for your insight!

Hi! I had my sleeve in Sept. I have had 2 csections and they were a longer recovery than the sleeve. I will say that I happen to be one of those people with a very high pain tolerance. With my first section I never took ANY pain meds, only Ibuprofen. My second was a little more difficult because I had some internal scarring that my dr had to repair. I will admit to taking meds that go round.

As for the sleeve, I only had oral pain meds in the hosp for 1 night then OTC after that. I did have an onQ pump but it came out that afternoon because it was just leaking and not doing any good anyway. I was able to walk, roll around in bed and was sleeping on my stomach the second night.

As for the incisions themselves, I had 3 (one in my belly button and then one one each side) steri strips over two of them and the nurse took them off 5 days after surgery and they were fine. They closed up nicely and never itched or bothered me.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

I had a c-section with my son and recovery wise that was WAY worse then having VSG surgery. The only difference, for me, was the major grogginess coming out of the anesthesia. That drove me crazy, especially since I was told to get up and walk as soon as possible, so I was mentally wanting to, but could barely keep my eyes open. Once that wore off I was literally good to go. Hardly any pain, just took the bare minimum pain meds for a little ease and was then up and walking, bending carefully and moving pretty good. The c-section had me needing help for weeks, I was self sufficient the next day with this surgery. Oh, and I had 5 incisions, with glue, no drains. I did have a small, travel size pillow, for getting in and out of bed, just so I would not pull the internal stitches and damage anything, but just use common sense and I'm sure you'll do great, best of luck!!

I agree with the comments above. I had my c section in 2009 December and I was in way more pain with the c section than with the sleeve. Remember that the c section incision is way bigger. The VSG incisions are 4-5 but smaller :) You will do fine and you will be able to walk the same surgery day. Good luck!

I had a csection this past march too!!

I haven't been sleeved yet but I've had my gallbladder removed and an appendectomy. Both were a breeze compared to the section!

Glad to hear it. I've been opened up twice (one c-section and 1 myomectomy). Pain wasn't really an issue, but the time to where I felt normal was quite a long time. As in those surgeries, walking is the key to faster recovery.

Interesting.. I had a cesarion with my son and I didn't think it was bad at all. They had me on pain meds in the hospital (I think that's what they were giving me!) but I think I only took one if the pills they prescribed after I left the hospital. I drove us back to my follow up appointment a week later (hour drive). I didn't think it was bad at all.

If having the sleeve is easier than my cesarion I'll be thrilled beyond belief! I've also had a major hip surgery that involved cutting and rearranging bones then screwing it all into place and this can't be as bad as that!

Thanks for all the great feedback everyone! I feel much better about what's on the horizon re: sleeve recovery =)

That was a great question. I had a csection in Aug 2010 and so now I have something to compare it to

I'm not post-op yet but will definitely try to remember to come bakc to this thread to share. I did ask my doc about this , as I've had three prior c-sections, and he said the recovery from this physically will be a walk in the park compared to the c-sections. So I'm hopeful I'll be able to handle it. I have been schooled in the importance of walking and moving and getting going quickly though because of the c-sections.

I had a c-section as well as my sleeve and I agree that the sleeve recovery was easier. I had less pain after my sleeve surgery. I did recover well from both, though, and I attribute my quick recovery to walking as quickly as possible in both cases.