Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Capt Derel's Gastric Sleeve Surgery Journey

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to first say Hi, I have been Lurking here for a month now gaining a little knowledge here and there. I was turned on to affordable wls by a miracle. I have been to some seminars and battled both blue cross blue sheild and cigna. Both businesses I have worked for put wls exempt. So I am paying out of pocket. Being so, I am willing to put my life on the line in the care of GOD.

I am a USCG captain. I run a big Crewboat in the gulf of Mexico. I weigh an average of 315 year round. I get hounded everytime I turn in a piece of paperwork on sleep apnea and my weight countering my physical ability to do my job. In the past 2 years I have spent over 3500 bucks on just sleep apnea tests not to account for all the travel time to get sign offs on agility tests. I do have thyroid issues which is controlled and has been for 4 years now. It was discovered by a dietician so I now on 175mcg of T4 synthroid ED.

So my PCP, Dietician, and my sleep Apnea doctor all approve of me getting wls.

Pros: I have great mobility for a fat guy. I dont smoke, drink, or do drugs. Bloodworks amazing. I am not a sickly person by anymeans. Plus I am only 32 years old so my body can heal faster. Plus I have a Higher healing rate due to HRT. My average heart Rate off HRT is 134/85, on HRT it rises to 140-160/80-96. I do have Lisinopril if it rises to high.

Well like I said I was pointed in the right direction by a mere miracle and I have decided to go against the grain and against logical reasonings and I have put my deposit down for Feb 16th wth Dr Almanza at Jerusalem hospital. May god guide his stapler.

I am to stay at Hotel Lucerna but I am upgrading my room to an executive suite because I am having my own private LPN (my wife) come with me. She will be taking vitals and watching over me. She is a certified phelebotomist also so thats a plus in my book.

I can live my life fat and be ok. But with my job in jeapordy and sleep apnea, I have to make a drastic life change. God have mercy on my soul.

Btw if your going to comment about this doc is better or of that sort please feel free to donate a few thousand dollars and I WILL schedule there, otherwise shush.

Best of luck on your journey. God Bless

LOL on the shush comment! It sounds like you have really done your research and are making good choices for you. I hope that everything goes well for you! It's nice that you have a sense of humor about things. That will help you through the recovery process, and having your wife be your "nurse" should be pleasant.

My first husband was pushed out of the Air Force because of weight. He stayed 5 pounds or so over the weight limit for his height and just couldn't seem to get that 5 pounds to come off. Not long after he got out, he was dx with diabetes and lost his weight once the diabetes was under control. Unfortunately, the AF docs "missed" the signs of diabetes. @@

Let us know how your journey goes. You're giving yourself and your wife a great present for Valentine's Day! :)

Good luck!!

Ok today is Feb 15th,2012. I have been on a liquid diet for 2.5 weeks now. I have went from 326.4 to 306.1 on my pre op diet. It would have been more but I messed up a couple times by eating to much carbs on accident plus i took in alot of OJ about 6 days ago because I got sick so I loaded up on Vitamins to aid in my recovery. It did take me out of Ketosis but I would rather go into this healthy rather than sick.

liquid diets suck. Mine consisted of Jello, pudding,chicken broth, Tomato n basil bisque and Protein shakes -EAS advantcarb Thats it besides the OJ and V8 I had to recover from being sick.

I personally feel I got sick from being way low on my caloric intake compared to where I used to be averaging around 3500 calories per day *mostly carbs.

Today I tried to do an enima. Well guess what. I am not gay at all. I threw it in the trash. I went out and bought Ducolax tablets- took 3 and Magnesium citrate lemon flavor- not to bad, and did this instead. It works. Hahaha all damn day.

Tomorrow we fly to San Diego. My wife is more nervous than me. I dont care as this has to be done.

I will keep yall posted step by step as I keep a journal

(null)

Good Luck with your surgery. Safe travels too! Update us when you can.

Go git em!!

Thank yall. Trust me I am ready. Dooter glad your ok. Just take your pain as shrinking pains. Lets get this done. I am going to take some before pics in the am. But I am going to hold on to them for my sexy reveal later on. Thanks again and pray for me cause god knows I need it

(null)

Good for you and good luck....

Best of luck to you on your journey! Life will be totally different in just one year, you wait. Heck, in six months you might not recognize yourself.

On another note, I really hate that he military is so hung up on weight standards. My husband is active duty Army and over the years he has lost a number of really great soldiers and coworkers due to weight. I understand if they want someone to lose weight because the weight causes health complications and interferes with their ability to perform. But in a lot of cases, a guy is only a little overweight and fully able to perform and the discharge is based more on discrimination or appearances than a serious concern about his/her ability to accomplish the mission. A lot of times these are guys/gals that would stay in for another ten years otherwise.

It's a shame.

In any case, I hope that you find your apnea resolves itself and you really will be in a totally new place in just a few months. The liquid diet really stinks. I didn't have one pre-op but three weeks on liquids post op was a nightmare for me. I wasn't hungry, don't get me wrong. I just felt completely bored with my food options, not hungry in the least and totally frustrated that I had to sip 16 ounces over two hours. As with all things, the rough stage passes. Get through the surgery, rest well and heal and in no time you'll be back at 'em, good as new. Better, in fact, as soon as you start dropping those extra pounds.

Oh, and black coffee works better than any enema at cleaning a person out. If that doesn't cut it, buy a bottle of Miralax and it will work, but not all day long like the Ducolax.

Best wishes,

~Cheri

Hey Capt Derel!

I hope everything goes good for you in TJ. I think you will be one tough son of a gun you know? You just strike me as that. You will probably rock the sleeve hardcore. I just know it! Please update when you get a chance.

How exciting! I'm so happy you're getting your sleeve and I can't wait to hear about your updates AND the sexy reveal of the pics lol. Good luck on an easy surgery and speedy recovery. Let us know how you're doing when you can.

:)

In San Diego at Hampton inn on greenwood. I ordered some chinese Soups and drank the broth. chicken n chili pepper Soup and chicken n vege Soup. Both were Clear liquids. Stuffed atm but about to hit the rack because those flights sucked. Tomorrows the big day. I wish I could have a video since I cant do the surgery myself.

(null)

My prayers are with you!!