Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Experience Night Sweats After Gastric Sleeve Surgery?

Sleeved on monday December 5.

Since coming home from the hospital I wake up 1 to 3 times a night covered in sweat. Very pleasant in the tropical air of Detroit Michigan right now.

Not taking pain meds, have been taking acid reducer and tylenol twice per day.

Any thoughts?

As an extra giftl my period started Wednesday - could it be from wild hormones?

Thanks everyone!

In my opinion, it could be related to the anasthesia getting out of your system, or it could be related to homonal flux.

I know when I had surgery, it takes two - three weeks for me to totally be over the effects of the anasthesia. You night sweats could be associated with that.

The other thing, as you start to rapidly lose weight, the estrogen stored in your fat cells is released, and you will have hormonal swings. I am a post-menopausal women, and I went through a couple of months of what I refer to as "puberty hell" with some added features of another trip through menopause. The night sweats could definately be part of that. This hormonal surge can present itself in many different ways - depending on what phase of life you are in. It can mess with your monthly cycle - timining, length, you name it. If you are still able to get pregnant, be careful - lots of extra hormones running around your system.

I agree that it could be hormonal. I had the worst night sweats after the birth of my son a couple years back. For about a week post delivery I was a raging mess. A lot of that is bloat getting out of your system and your hormonal levels adjusting. I haven't heard of this as a specific side effect, but it could very well be related to anasthesia.

I have been having hot flashed during the day for the past two months. I thought it was related to my thyroid meds but now that I am off of them...I'm still sweating a couple of times a day. I had totally forgotten about the estrogen release. It explains a lot! Thanks!

Hormones are a definite possibility, but I discovered it was being caused by another culprit: my Protein shakes.

On days that I ended up being low on Protein, I was drinking one shake just before bed, 8oz milk with 23g protein, and I was finishing it within a half hour. Within an hour later I started sweating profusely, getting shaky & nauseous (usually by the time I was in bed).

I googled this and it sounds like some of the other fitness/workout buffs were having this same problem (and were being told by their buddies and nuts that they were off their collective rockers). They suspected that the net thermodynamic somethingorothers was causing a reaction caused by digesting the protein too fast.

I checked the canister of protein in my cupboard and there was a lot of writing about how "easily digested" this protein was, so as an experiment I added a half cup of Fage 0% yogurt with my next shake, figuring it would slow down digestion. Didn't get the sweats.

Had one more yogurt-free shake to finalize my hypothesis and got the sweats again. So mystery solved, at least for me. HTH.

Thanks everyone for responding.

The Protein shake thing is intriguing because last night I had greek yogurt before bed and no night sweats. The other day I drank 2 ounces of bolthouse Protein Drink (which is delicious) and then an hour later drank 2 ounces more. It was like I was drunk. Terrible feeling. Only think I could figure out was too much sugar at a time when I am having to readjust to digest.

Also, I am sweating during the day. So, while I do think some of this is horomonal and might pass I am definitely going to watch on the Protein shakes and see if I can find a relationship.