Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting In My Daily Calories

This is my seventh day post surgery and I feel great. Started stage 2, light pureed foods to supplement my Protein Shakes and more choices in my fluids. The hardest thing so far is getting in enough calories. I'm averaging around 600 to 700 calories a day and everything I'm reading calls for 1500 to 2000. I'm not hungry, taking in 3 to 4 Protein shakes a day and am on Vitamin supplements. I saw my surgeon yesterday and she was encouraging, she told me that I was getting plenty of nutrition from the shakes and supplements and during the healing process just listen to my body.

I have been very fortunate in that I have not had a problem keeping things down or swallowing, I'm just not hungry. The challenge, and adventure, is finding protein rich foods allowed at this stage of the diet. Cottage cheese and Greek yogurt are the obvious but what else is out there waiting to be discovered. There are tons of foods high in carbs or sugars but they generally offer little or no protein. Malt-O-Meal Cereal is a possibility.

Anyone else in a similar place interested in sharing their Quest for the perfect protein source?

I'm almost 4 weeks post op and I have a least one Protein Drink a day and I also eat chicken, lean beef, tuna cause they give me a lot of Protein. I make sure I eat protein first, then veggies, fruit and am now starting carbs. So far no problem. Good Luck!

Many people cringe at this but Vienna sausages are soft meat and 6protein for 4 sticks. I really like the packets of albacore tuna and refried Beans. I'm in my third week post op so I haven't branched out much still.

This is my seventh day post surgery and I feel great. Started stage 2, light pureed foods to supplement my Protein shakes and more choices in my fluids. The hardest thing so far is getting in enough calories. I'm averaging around 600 to 700 calories a day and everything I'm reading calls for 1500 to 2000. I'm not hungry, taking in 3 to 4 Protein Shakes a day and am on Vitamin supplements.

My program called for 400 calories per day at that stage. I haven't seen a program that calls for that,any calories so early out. I did three Protein shakes per day, then cut down to two when I could eat al little more, then one, then none.

Does your program call for that many calories at 7 days?

Lynda

I'm not counting calories only Protein. My doctor said at least 40 grams of Protein a day. But my dietician said at least 60 grams of protein a day. I try for at least 60 grams a day. I'll have to check about the calories. I am 4 weeks post op.

Cindy

This is my seventh day post surgery and I feel great. Started stage 2, light pureed foods to supplement my Protein Shakes and more choices in my fluids. The hardest thing so far is getting in enough calories. I'm averaging around 600 to 700 calories a day and everything I'm reading calls for 1500 to 2000. I'm not hungry, taking in 3 to 4 Protein shakes a day and am on Vitamin supplements. I saw my surgeon yesterday and she was encouraging, she told me that I was getting plenty of nutrition from the shakes and supplements and during the healing process just listen to my body. I have been very fortunate in that I have not had a problem keeping things down or swallowing, I'm just not hungry. The challenge, and adventure, is finding protein rich foods allowed at this stage of the diet. Cottage cheese and Greek yogurt are the obvious but what else is out there waiting to be discovered. There are tons of foods high in carbs or sugars but they generally offer little or no protein. Malt-O-Meal cereal is a possibility. Anyone else in a similar place interested in sharing their Quest for the perfect protein source?

I was told by my doctor that if I wasn't hungry not to worry about eating – I needed to get my Water inside to become dehydrated but even if I had to drink a Protein Shake all through the day that it was okay.… I'm having my own questions about my nutrition stuff but they told me just to take and what I could and if I wasn't hungry then not to eat anymore and that's what I did… But, I'm not an expert and this is just what I was told to do by my doctor and nutritionist.

I was also wondering what is "everything you're reading"? Did that come for your surgeon/nutritionist? I think that is more calories than most people maintain on after they reach their goal.

I left my preop today and we were all told to aim between 600 and 800 calories with more than 60 grams of Protein.