Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chia Seeds Post Gastric Sleeve Surgery?

Just wondering if anyone has tried Chia seeds post op? I searched and dont see any mention of them, which is odd since they are the hot thing right now.

Here is the back story: Chia seeds are tiny little seeds that expand like 8 times their size when introduced to a liquid / ingested. I am wondering if we can use them post op (in small amounts of course) ?!?! I see people putting them in greek yogurt, in smoothies etc and so I bought some. They sit on my shelf as I am too afraid to test drive them yet. On a side note, there is nothing that I cannot eat / drink. Nothing really hurts anymore. Soda is fine. bread etc. So I am not too worried about the expanding part... mostly because I know I wont use enough seeds to fill me, but more so I worry about breaking my seam wide open. (I know, I know, dont stress that so far out.. but sigh... I do).

Anyway, if you have used Chia seeds, please let me know the amounts you use and how you used them. Thanks!

I love chia seeds, but I am only 3 weeks out so I cant try them now. I would try making the chia gel first to see if that is tolerated. To make chia gel, just add 1/3 cup chia seeds to 2 cups Water and let sit overnight in the fridge. The expansion takes place outside your tummy this way...to be on the safe side!! The gel is good for about a week.

Before surgery, i would pour some into a bowl, add cinnamon & microwave it for about a minute...then sprinkle granola on top!! YUMMA!!! Chia is decent source of Protein too!

I am so glad you asked this question because I have been wondering if I will ever get to enjoy my morning chia too!!

Good information!!! I will make it tonight!!

Thanks!

Yep...sure is the same! You can also eat the sprouts...I've grown them in an unglazed terra cotta pie plate and use a clear glass pie plate as the lid! Trim the roots and the greens taste kinda like broccoli to me.