Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

94 Lbs In 5 Months=not Good Enough Says Nurse..talk Me Off Ledge!

Let's see, my calculator says that you are losing about 19 pounds a month or nearly 5 pounds a week. That's pretty freaking incredible, IMO!!! I, too, started at a higher BMI and I've lost 61 pounds in 3 months, 1 week, or just about 5 pounds a week. My surgeon is THRILLED at my progress, and so am I.

That NP should be shot for telling you that you are not doing well. I think you're right on track and probably beating the average weight loss per week/month right across the board. Even adjusting for higher BMI (mine was 53/54 when I started), then you are rocking your sleeve!

Don't jump off that ledge, instead go in that office and toss her out the window! She has no clue. I cannot imagine how she figures that you are losing too slowly. I'll be THRILLED to death if I'm at 94 pounds at 5 months out!

My surgeon did say that the majority of our weight comes off in the first year, but that doesn't mean that we can't reach goal if we don'g reach it in some magical 12 month period. We CAN and WILL reach our goals, so long as we continue to do what is required, Protein, Water, exercise.

I plan on being the poster child for WLS once I reach my goal, and your picture is going to be right beside mine. I'd say you should tell that NP to bite you, but she might actually do it. Wait until you hit goal, then I think you should parade your tiny butt through her office and say "How do you like me now?" I'm betting she won't even know who you are!

BTW, this might actually be that NPs backwards way of thinking she's giving you motivation to stay on track, although I think that is pretty twisted. I think you're doing an amazing job and I hope to do as well as you are doing!!!

Good luck...and stay off the ledge!!!

My first stop after leaving the exam room would have been at the front desk demanding to speak with the surgeon. I would have let him know all and I mean ALL of the detrimental things this lowlife jealous piece of crap of a person said to me and tell him that I will not have her speak to me ever again!!!! You employ these people and as such, you do not have to take any of their idiocy! My mother is a nurse and she has fired subordinate nurses for this type of unprofessionalism. This is unacceptable.

Ok, done with the anger over what happened to you.

Now, you have lost 94 lbs in 5 months??? That is PHENOMINAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish I could come close to that average. Do you realize that that equates to 19 lbs per month, 4.4 lbs per week, and 0.6 lbs per day!!

Are you in San Antonio? If you are, so am I! We should meet sometime over water...lol. There are some mean people in the world and I have one right here at my work. She said to me that she was shocked that I had not passed her up in weightloss yet, seeing as I had surgery and she didnt. Keeps offering me her fat clothes. She is just downright evil. I was upset like you are about it at first, but then I thought... I have to consider the source...and remember that "he who angers you, controls you". I wont be controlled by my weight or some stupid Bit$# who for whatever reason they have that day, has no cooth or empathy. The nurse was clearly unproffessional and i think it deserves being reported to your surgeon. How many people is she going to insult and hurt with her callous ignorance? 94 pounds in 5 months is miraculous. Its a really good job and I am not just saying that. I think that is about average for someone with your same stats... We all loose at different rates but overall I think if you took a poll of people whos stats match yours, you would find that you are right in the range with everyone else. I started with a BMI of 40 and I have lost 49. I have had two plateaus and my dr told me that my honeymoon was about to be over But... he also said to keep doing what I am doing and although it may slow down some, it wont stop for a long time out. He has every faith that I will loose all the weight I want to. I have all the faith that you will too. You cant let someone in your head. You have to be stronger now and take charge of this situation. What the hell does she know anyway! Not much by the sound of it. Good luck on your journey and just keep doing what you are doing. Take your anger out on a treadmill! That is what I did with mine after being mistreated by my coworker.

Sorry, I could not take the time to read all the preceding posts, so I hope I am in line with what they are saying.

SHE IS NUTS! You are doing fine, perhaps a little slower than some but IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION NONE THE LESS. Keep at it and keep losing, it's not a race, it's a lifestyle.

Um... wow.

Some people actually, seriously have no business opening their mouths. Ever.

I don't even know what to say. What has not already been said that's left? I know this, I've been reading this board for 2 years now, and you are one of the top losers I've seen. 95 Lbs. in 5 months... that is INCREDIBLE. Then to have someone you entrust with their opinion tell you its not, is such a tragedy. I think this nurse needs to be reported. That is my honest opinion. She has no empathy, sympathy, whatever for the emotionally delicate situation bariatric patients are in. That IMO is doing a great disservice to everyone that walks through your surgeons doors.

Listen to me and everyone else here, this nurse has no clue what she's talking about. YOU my dear are really sincerely doing a most fantastic job with your weight loss. DO NOT ever... EVER.. let anyone tell you otherwise, because that simply is untrue.

Regarding the whole honeymoon phase argument - I can't tell you how much I really hate this. Yes it is true you will lose the most and the fastest in the very beginning. Yes, its because your sleeve is super small and you can only ingest so much. Yes, your sleeve will let up and you will begin to be able to eat more, meaning you will be able to up your calories. The only thing you have to do to remedy this is just keep ensuring you are burning much more calories than you are taking in.

I am 15 months out. My sleeve is still extremely restrictive. I'm not even really trying all that hard and I'm STILL losing weight!

THE SLEEVE DOES NOT COME WITH AN EXPIRATION DATE ATTACHED!! It is a PERMANENT restrictive procedure. You will have your banana tummy forever. How you use it is up to you... just don't allow others to control your actions. She does NOT deserve your attention to the point where you'd sabotage all your incredible efforts. She's just a miserable, mean lady who has zero compassion... Don't let her take this away from you, please.

That is just INSANE!!! You are doing an amazing job!!!!! I had my surgeon's assistant tell me that I may not get below 140 pounds, I did correct her and said, "says who ,do you have a crystal ball that gave you that information?" She just looked me and said, " I just do not want you to become disappointed if you quit loosing weight." I told her, you just let me woory about that. As I was leaving, I added this, I have lost 70% of my excess weight according to this office. So am I considered a failure? I guess she wasn't prepared for me that morning. Keep doing what you are doing. That is a wonderful job you have done!!! I have no doubt you will show them that they are wrong!!!!

Deb

Wow. I'm so sorry that happened to you.

Seriously, I'd consider lodging a formal complaint with your hospital's Patient Affairs office. I think she's giving out medically unsound information, and delivering it in a very insensitive way.

I would love to lose anywhere close to that much in that sort of time. Holy cow.

Nurse Clueless doesn't get it at all. You're doing great. Period. I'm not sure how she would be the expert on your body or your particular circumstances. And I'm at 8 months out and still losing--granted, it's slower now, but I'm really close to goal, so that's to be expected.

Breathe, trust yourself, and just keep doing what you're doing. You're 94 pounds lighter than before, have a longer life expectancy than before, and are only getting started with your new post-sleeve life. It will continue to get better as you go. HUGS to you.

Ignore that idiot. You're doing great! I lost over 140 pounds my first year st age 63 with mobility problems and I thought that was great for me. At my 12 month follow up the person doing my followups after perfunctorily saying hello and this is your 12 month follow up (no congratulations, how do you feel about that, etc.) looked at my weigh-in data and turned to me and said at 12 months we expect patients to be at a BMI of 30 and you are 41 (down from 66.1 btw). Not "wow you've done great". I was so happy I had lost that much weight and that felt like a slap in the face.

She was like that the entire year. I should have asked to switch to someone else after month two when she first did something like that as that type of communication (like the one you got, although I think yours was worse and more ridiculous) is not helpful and not motivating. In fact it is downright discouraging. Is there anyone else doing followups? I suggest you consider asking to switch to someone else if so

Yes, I'm not losing weight as fast as I did that first year, but there is no reason I cannot continue to lose to goal or close to it if I continue following the eating plan. My surgeon said that people could continue to lose indefinitely after those critical first months if you continue to follow the rules. It just won't come off as fast. I'm in it for the long haul.

You've done great! I did not lose that much weight in five months and I weighed close to your starting weight.

I really think you need to complain to the surgeon. That woman is doing him or her a great disservice. You are doing fantastic! If you start out at a higher weight, it might take a little longer to lose all that you want to lose. It' s not a race though!

Your sleeve will not fail you if you want to keep losing. I am 2 1/2 years post op, and no, my hunger has not come back. I do get somewhat hungry if I haven't eaten in awhile, but it doesn't take much food to satisfy me.

Yes, I can eat more food than I could when I was fist sleeved. I still can not eat anywhere close to what someone who has not had surgery can eat. If I got out to dinner, I still have to take the majority of it home.

Just keep doing what you're doing!

you are doing an EXCELLENT job!!

obviously this nurse thinks her 'scare tactics' are some sort of positive influence. she needs to take some communication classes on being supportive instead of trying put the fear into people about losing weight. she's wrong about your future. don't let her get to you.

I can't say more than what anyone else has already said. That nurse is an a*****e, and you need to immediately file a written complaint with your surgeon's office about her.

Way to go on your weight loss, don't get discouraged and keep up the good work!!

My doctor would fire this nurse if she was someone in his office. Sometimes a written letter will really get a doctor's attention. If you don't feel like writing a letter, just print out this page, put it in an envelope and mail it to your surgeon...I'll bet you will get an apology FAST!

My doctor would fire this nurse if she was someone in his office. Sometimes a written letter will really get a doctor's attention. If you don't feel like writing a letter, just print out this page, put it in an envelope and mail it to your surgeon...I'll bet you will get an apology FAST!

I think all of the people in these offices are trained to talk like that. Every follow up appointment I have been too, they always want more than what I acheived. I am 7 months out and have lost 87 since surgery for a total of 114 from my highest. Last appointment I was double teamed by the PA and the Doctor about how my window is closing and I need to get moving or else I am going to find myself in a very bad place. I had to schedule an appt with the nutritionist who I will be seeing in a week and a half.

Don't let them get you down, you have done amazing, just keep up the good work.