Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating Disorder Developing After Gastric Sleeve Surgery?

Hello guys

Just wondering if anyone has developed a touch of anorexia or food disorder after surgery. Im dealing with feeling sad and scared after I eat anything. I feel like any food I consume is counter productive and Im scared I will gain back weight with every meal. I know im not getting enough calories in each day but im so scared to eat and put the weight back on. Im scheduled to see my psych next week and I will be discussing the issue with him but Im wondering if any of you guys have experienced similar problems. I have waited so long to get this surgery and I would hate to do anything that would effect my weight loss but I edon't wanna develop a complex.

I think it's great that you are at least recognizing the warning signs and planning to go to psych.

I cannot speak from personal experience but I do have a friend from my WLS support group who had the RNY and now suffers from an eating disorder. The girl is 5'6-5'7 and 95 lbs now. She refused to acknowledge there was a problem until it had gone too far. She got to the point that even at 95 lbs she still sees herself as morbidly obese.

I have seen many struggle with the fear of regain. Also please realize there will come a point where you HAVE to increase your calories to continue to lose.

Again, I am very glad to hear that you have scheduled an appt and realize this could be the start of a problem. I'm sorry I don't have any better advice for you.

Thanks for the reply. Like you said catching it early is good. 95lbs and still feeling fat thats scary.

It is very scary, seeing her now is just heartbreaking.

CT Fats et al I have been seeing a therapist for the past 3 years over different issues We all have them. I think the stigma about seeing a therapist has improved.

i'm only pre-op, but i hope its ok i can join the discussion about being afraid to gain the weigh back so you don't eat that much. My DOS is one week from this thursday (12/15/11 is the date)

I am also afraid i won't eat much because i'll gain the weight back. I've also been heavy since after i got married and had my first child. So I consider having my daughter excess baby weight that i just can't take off - Of course I had my "baby" 35 yrs ago

likasulema your always welcome to jump in on any thread! It is something I think my psych should help me deal with. I guess as far as disorders go its not so bad to not wanna gain back weight

I am so glad you are seeking help!! I have a little fear about regain too, because I have already let my friends and family see me go up and down with my weight so many times it would just be horrible If I had my stomach chopped out and STILL gained it back.

Luckily I am feeling like I am in control right now, I eat more than your average sleever, (1500 cals a day) I worry about eating too few calories and ruining my metabolism, losing my hair, and losing all my healthy lean muscle mass.

so eating 1500 a day I am still losing weight and feeling AMAZING.

Good luck, I hope you take good care of yourself. Keep us posted.

I dealt with some anorexia and bulimia when I was younger, so I have to really watch out for this. I'm thinking I'm being much more healthy about my weight loss this time around rather than back then. My lean body mass weighs almost 118 Lbs according to the Bod Pod. I checked with the caliper tests and it says roughly the same results.

That said, being 5'7 back in High School I was weighing as little as 135 Lbs. Can you imagine? I was sickly thin and grossly malnourished. Once I'm completely healed from all my recent traumas I will probably be around the low 160's including the 6 Lbs of silicone in my chest. So, that would place me in the high 150's. For me and my frame, I feel that is quite thin enough. I do not plan to go out of my way to lose anymore weight at all.

I do have fleeting moments however where I'll look in the mirror and still see me as overweight. I'm serious, and it does scare me a little bit. It flashes my feelings from when I was younger and my desire to keep going. There's no way I should, for goodness sakes I fitted a zero last night. What I'm saying is, anorexic/bulimic me tries to stir the pot a little bit and I have to realize it's simply all untrue what she tries to tell me. I am seriously considering discussing this with a professional as well. I don't think there is anything wrong with realizing you may need to sort a few things out in the ole brain.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling - I jus thought I'd share my own personal experience with this.

I have often wondered this too... I saw someone with the band that got bulemic after thing started sliding through. I think also too this is why i am having such a hard time 2 weeks out- I cannot keep anything but soup/yogurt consistancy down for fear of getting sick- i have tried to increas but physically cannot- doc says it's normal and everyone heals differently- it is so wonderful to know that i'm not alone,

Great topic peeps!!!

Very good point! I am only 3 months out but already worry about this. Most of us have had the diet, gain, diet, lose, etc cycle and get used to it. I think when we have something that is successful it is human nature to worry about failure. However, regain isn't necessarily failure in this case. The fact that you realize these thoughts are there will keep you from developing a problem. You are on top of it! Good for you!! I'm glad you mentioned this. I worried about this in high school after losing weight and developed a problem. Hopefully being like you as realizing the signs Early will help.

(null)

CT, thanks for bringing this up...I too feel this way...I am scared to death I will fail...I WILL suffer set backs, I know I will, I just pray I can work through them and not completely fail like I have so many times in the past!!!

Thanks guys' its good to know im not alone in the feeling. I think with eachothers help we can get through this. Its just that cycle that most of us have probably gone through all of our lives lose 30 gain 50 deal. I feel confident that the sleeve is the tool I needed and I want to make sure its a success.

We ALL feel this way.

I am one year out today and it scares the living sh*t outta me that I will gain it back. I feel guilty eating most anything and really have to step back take a look and tell myself YOU'RE EATING HEALTHY, THE RIGHT PORTIONS AND YOUR WEIGHT IS STABLE, I look in the mirror and acknowledge that I am THIN and don't look at the little bit of sag and flap I have. It WORKED and I SUCCEEDED and I WILL stay this way.

I think the head issues are as important as the body weight issues. I also think that seeing a therapist is an awesome idea for many of us. It helps us learn to deal with food as food, rather than as a source of comfort or as a friend. It's an inanimate object, for goodness' sake.

I've seen the results of someone who had WLS and is terrified of gaining her weight back. I've posted about my friend's sister in law who lives on Protein shakes and is not compliant with anything regarding Protein, food or Water. She ends up in the hospital about every 3 months (just went back this weekend, as a matter of fact). She is malnourished, dehydrated...and all of this is AGAIN.

Yeah, we really have to watch what we think about our WLS journey and deal with the underlying issues or we'll end up like her.

rootman - you did such a great job - i'm only pre-op 12/15/11) but i posted also saying something like i will be afraid to eat cuz i don't want to regain any weight i will lose. little premature, but i'm always thiinking ahead.

continued good luck

you lost so much weiight - big congrats to you

kathy