Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gaining/losing Weight While Pregnant

Is there anyone that had not reached goal, got pregnant, had the baby, and then continued with weight loss until they reached their goal?

Okay, this is going to sound crazy but we are considering having another child now. I do understand that I should wait until the recommended time frame but there are many women who get pregnant early out from surgery and have a healthy pregnancy. I'm now almost 38 and it has been a little over 5 months since my surgery.

We'd been trying for the last 3 years and nothing at all happened. My goal with surgery was to lose 150 lbs. and so far I've lost 83 lbs.

Just a little background, when I was 28, we decided to try to get pregnant and I did...right away. I had no problem at all conceiving. At the time, I weighed around 220 lbs.

Well, over the years I gained and gained until I reached 280 lbs. My ob/gyn doctor thought that over the time frame we had been trying to conceive for the second time that my weight may have been playing a part in not ovulating. We then decided that I would take fertility pills to force my body to ovulate. Still nothing. So, I kind of just gave up and decided that I had to do something about my weight. About 5 months later, we decided that this surgery was the right thing for me...but not to get pregnant...to become emotionally well and to prevent problems with my health that were slowly creeping in. I made up my mind then that my physical and mental health were more important than anything else for me at the time. And I thought that I would be too old by the time I was set free to have another child.

Well, here I am....5 months out....wasn't even considering having another child.....THEN my husband starts talking about it and we both decide that maybe this is a good time EXCEPT that I'm not done losing weight. I'm so scared that I will never get to goal if I get pregnant now. I'm not really concerned about gaining a bunch with a pregnancy because I actually weighed less one week after my son was born than I did before I got pregnant. What I'm worried about is my body settling into the weight I'm at now and never dropping any lower.

Any advice? Am I being ridiculous? Should we wait until I've reached goal? Should we wait until I'm 18-24 months post op? Is it safe to conceive right now?

Hi Penpen,

If you are a stable weight right now, and not fluctuating up and down, then don't be worried about weight gain during pregnancy as long as you gain the recommended 25-35 pounds. This extra weight gain is normal and easily drops off after delivery.

Just be sure to plan a healthy pregnancy diet when you do get pregnant, and keep a pregnancy diet plan as well.

You should be fine.

Good luck...

http://www.signs-of-pregnancy-week-by-week.com/weight-gain-during-pregnancy.html