Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unexpected Response From Co-worker

Maybe we are so over-sensitive from our years of dealing with negativity surrounding our weight that it's difficult for us to see that people do mean things in a positive manner. We're just not used to assuming the best of those comments. That's my thought process anyway. :smile1:

That's my thought process as well. I don't think the coworker said anything wrong. I want people to be honest and tell me how they see things from their vantage point.

Can you believe I got the SAME infomercial from someone from THIS website? There is a woman that posted on the complications thread about problems her husband was having. Since I was in the researching stage I contacted her to ask how her husband was doing and to ask if the complications had been resolved. I talked to her and her husband a few times on the phone and by email. I couldn't believe I was getting an infomercial about products from the VSG patient!!!!!!! He actually offered to help me set up a business so I could sell them too and begged me not to have the surgery. They seemed like very nice people that had a bad experience with this surgery. Needless to say I was shocked. I don't regret contacting them and I don't regret having my surgery. It's all good.

Do what is best for you. There is no right or wrong here. Well .......actually, in my opinion, there is a wrong. Some people tell others they lost all their weight by simply exercising and upping their Protein and that is wrong.......in my opinion. Do what you feel comfortable doing and it will be alright. :-)

One guy who, to be fair, does not speak English very well came up to me and asked me if I was getting this surgery to be pretty.

He probably wanted to know if you were cutting your stomach for cosmetic reasons like liposuction and stuff...or health. :-)

I had a very similar experience. My appointment is in February 2012. When I made the decision to do this, I of course discussed it with my husband, and it was my mother's offer that started it all, so she is supportive. I still felt like I needed to say it out loud to someone not so close to me to see if it sounded sane. One close friend, who has weight issues as well, I thought for sure would be an understanding ear. I mentioned it to her, and she sounded interested and supportive. Well, at Thanksgiving she asked if we could be workout buddies and see how much weight we could lose together in 3 months, because she'd do ANYthing she could to stop me from having this surgery. Talk about taking the wind out of my sails. It really really bothered me and still does. I told her that yes, working out will be very important especially after I have the surgery! I don't understand the attitude, but they don't understand the skin we're in, and the life that is ahead to be spent in that skin. We know who we are and what is best for US. So....I guess mum's the word until someone asks why we're melting! coolgleamA.gif At least that's what I'm considering. Don't let the nay sayers get us down sister!

One of my best friends is a Dr. She told me she was against it, saw the very negative outcomes in the hospital, but would hold her tongue and support me whatever. The last time I saw her, she asked a lot more questions, even in the context of her getting surgery some day.

This "nutritional supplement", does he happen to be selling it? It sounds like one of those pyramid marketing schemes, honestly. Vitamins do not effect anyone's weight, you can find this info in official FAQ pages of any Vitamin companies. There are no nutritional supplements that cause weight loss either, science did not come up with any magic tricks just yet. The only "supplements" that affect people's weight are the ones that contain laxative-like ingredients, and they are more harmful than beneficial. They often cause dehydration, and most of the weight loss is achieved by losing fluids instead of fatty tissue.

I advise you and anyone else for that matter to take ANY "natural" supplement to a doctor before intake, he's likely to tell you to place it in the trash can.

I agree with Lissa: it's hard enough telling ppl abt WLS, because on some level you're "admitting" that you're seriously overweight and becoming very vulnerable in front of them in that moment...

Very true.. I tried telling my aunt and the first thing she said was "why don't you actually tryyyy for once." She even told me I should go to OA (over-eaters anonymous) and give them a try before having something this big. That's when I decided the only "family" support I really needed was my dad and my church family. Good luck to you!

Those reactions are the main reason I havent told anyone but my mom and daughter and my bff who has had the lap band. It took me too long to make up my mind about this surgery for me to listen to any nay sayers. Be strong!!

...then she launched into this 5 minute infomercial about some nutritional supplement that she'd given to another person who works in my office and how that person has lost 20 lbs. She told me all about it, and asked something like how soon was I planning the surgery and wouldn't I like to just try this Vitamin for 3 months and see what happens?

...Can you believe I got the SAME infomercial from someone from THIS website? There is a woman that posted on the complications thread about problems her husband was having. Since I was in the researching stage I contacted her to ask how her husband was doing and to ask if the complications had been resolved. I talked to her and her husband a few times on the phone and by email. I couldn't believe I was getting an infomercial about products from the VSG patient!!!!!!! He actually offered to help me set up a business so I could sell them too and begged me not to have the surgery. They seemed like very nice people that had a bad experience with this surgery. Needless to say I was shocked. I don't regret contacting them and I don't regret having my surgery. It's all good...

Hmph! These people selling supplements are just seeing dollar signs for their pockets and do not have your best interest in mind. I am so weary of people who are selling anything, especially MLM. I have to wonder if the person posting about the complications is even a WLS patient or relative, or if they are just trolling for potential suckers for their MLM supplement. Because I guarantee they were looking for their "downline" or whatever it is called in the MLM world, when they offered to help you set up a business. Again, just looking to line their own pockets with no regard for your well-being.

I've told a few people, almost everyone is completely supportive. Two people were quite vocal that I don't need the surgery because I am not that big, but the numbers don't lie - I qualify. Since they are not selling anything, I think they just care for me. I am actually surprised because while I haven't really told many people, I have had more support and no judgmental attitude at all.

Just do what you have decided is best for you and pay no mind to people with ulterior motives!