Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just Had gastric sleeve Surgery Two Days Ago

Half the time I drink liquids, I get sharp pain in chest when I swallow. So far I have only been able to drink about 10-15 ounces each day. any one have any advice?

Thank you

Drink slowly...sip,sip,sip. Also walk. You have lots of gas still and the walking will help. Try Luke warm broth slowly it helped me.

Good luck on your journey.

Get a "mug warmer", the electric kind that plugs in so you can put your broth in a coffee cup and keep it warm. I'm 3 weeks out and the warm broth sucks when it gets cold! You can't drink/sip it fast enough to get it down otherwise. I still struggle with getting enough liquids in. I'm averaging between 1 and 1 1/2 bottles of Water a day, plus my 1 cup of either Protein shakes or Soups that I have at mealtimes. So I get 1-1/2 bottles of Water plus 3 cups of liquid food (shakes and soups). I try to not depend soley on the Protein Shakes, but I know I'm not getting enough Protein yet, hopefully that will get better for me in the coming weeks when I can finally eat some real food. But until you get to that point, just sip SLOWLY, otherwise it does hurt and sip all day long, eventually you will get to where you can get more fluids down.

Hope this helps.

I am 3 days post op and I get the same pain in the chest too. I think it is because we do not sip and it is still so swollen. I am exhausted, went for a walk today and came home and slept all afternoon. I am here if you would like to chat we are at the same point in this journey. Where did you have your surgery?

i'm getting really concerned/worried about all these drinking problems, sipping etc. i'm pre-op and I'm scared that since we all will have this trouble drinking (even sipping) will we be able to get enough Water in. Only getting those few ounces the first few days kindof, well we might get dehydrated, and thats obviously no good. Does the stomach just totally HURT post WLS that you can't get things down. I've also heard some say that after they drink even slowly.....the water will come back maybe. What do you say to a newbie thats an oldy of 58 :lol: kathy

one more thing from above - i have a sample of powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Soup broth. I'm told i need to mix it with only warm Water, something to do with lumps/texture? After its mixed, can i then nuke it? I eat/drink stuff really hot/cold - one extreme to another maybe like my weight?

P.S. Lissa I noticed that you lost another 3 lbs or so - looking good :thumbs_up: kathy

I'm just over 3 days post-op and cannot bear any type of broth. I tried the unjury and it was way too salty tasting. Then I tried some Trader Joes chicken broth, then Beef Broth, and Better than Bullion....hated them all!!!!! So I'm sticking with Premier Protein shakes, Isopure and Water for now.

Interesting how our tastes change after surgery!!!!

I am two weeks today being sleeved. I felt your pain I thought I was not going to make it at first and then questioned my whole decision. It does get better. Drink warm liquids. I 20 lbs lighter have no regrets. Use gas x like it is ur best friend. Take ur pain meds that's what they are for. They ease some of that chest pain. Walk and walk more. I took naps too. These made me feel better. Until the pressure is gone from ur chest u won't feel real great. Good luck!