Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3rd Week Post Gastric Sleeve Op- Can I Have Coffee?

post surgery my Canadian friend and I were both allowed to have Decaf coffee with artificial sweetener (splenda is my choice) and herbal tea and neither of us had a problem. Our first coffee was 3 days post-op. We both had different surgeons but surgery same day and same hospital. I felt so good the day of discharge I spent 6 hrs walking around tiajuana shopping! Next day cup of coffee to start the day and another 7-8 hrs of shopping no problems. My surgeon was Dr Ramos Kelly ;-) and at discharge I got a large packet of info and dos and dont's and approve liquids list. Decaf coffee was approved and I have had several times since without any problem. Dr Kelly said caffeine acts as a diuretic and stimulates you urinate more which can lead to dehydration quickly if you are one that has a hard time getting all the fluids recommended.

I told my dietitian that having coffee with no (sugar- free) cream was a BIG problem for me at work. They asked me to try Protein vanilla scoops to -sub for the creamer- with my coffee. I hated it! I went back to work and drank caffeinated coffee with splenda and sugar- free Creamer. It was delicious, but I could even get a half cup down before I'd have to work on drinking my lunch protein shake! I started to worry about the fat calories and the whole thing just became a nuisance, so I switched to hot tea with splenda. I got my caffeine without the guilt and I didn't stall out on my weight-loss. I only drink about 1/2 cup on work mornings. Good Luck!!!

My doc's orders are no coffee at all, regardless of stage. Since I was used to drinking half-caf pre-op, I skipped over the caffeine withdrawal headache. I make coffee for the rest of the family, since I'm up first, but it's not one of my big craves. I found out, during the liquid pre-op diet, that I don't really like coffee, because, if I did, I would have been able to drink it black. What I liked was the coffee candy flavor (coffee, creamer, and sweetener). I have tea or a milk steamer when I want something hot.

I have been allowed coffee since day three post-op, they served it to me in hospital already. I've been drinking it every morning since then.

I think part of the concern is the caffeine is a stimulant and makes you hungry.

That's funny, because when I used to drink coffee before I had surgery, I was less hungry in the mornings. It made it easier to skip Breakfast (a bad habit I have almost managed to break) so it's still not a great thing to drink, but maybe not for the same reasons as other people.

When asked, my surgeon sort of shrugged and said caffeine in general is a diuretic but he's not going to say I can't have it again. I tried drinking some coffee in my morning shake at about 2 weeks and it make me uncomfortably jittery, so I have limited my coffee to 1/2 c. a day or less, always mixed with large amounts of milk.

When I go back to work my coffee habit my change, since I work for a very coffee-oriented department -- I'll have to see.

It's frustrating that there are so many different professional opinions coming to us from our doctors and/or nutritionists. Why can't there be some basic, general guidelines specific to sleeve patients? I ued to drink 6 cups of regular coffee throughout the day. No sugar, just powdered cream. Then at pre-op class nut tells us no more caffeine ever and Decaf only after like 3 months. Well, I go to my 3 week post op visit with surgeon and he tells me decaf is fine now and caffeine until 6 months out! Naturally, I'll be listening to him instead.

My doctor allows it, but no sugar, but I get terrified of it because the first time I had it, and the only time actually, it gave me baaad diarrhea

My surgeon again is on the ultra-conservative side. No coffee for 6 months says he. I'm not really a coffee drinker, but pre-op I made the best mocha Protein Shake. I like chocolate coffee flavor better than plain chocolate.

Most docs are concerned with the acidity and the possibility of it building up and eroding the wounds in your stomach. Generally, after your stomach is healed, it's okay to drink coffee or wine (my two vices) within "reason." I drink Decaf coffee during the day, but I drink a 1/2 caf coffee in the morning. My NUT said 1/2 caf is fine. A little caffeine is fine - just don't drink it all day. It will dehydrate you and the acid isn't great for your sleeve. My NUT gets pissed at me about the wine. Technically only supposed to drink 1 glass a month AFTER 6 months out. Well, that kinda got thrown out the window and I drink once a week. I have noticed it effects my losses, so don't drink wine much if you want to lose consistently. On the days I drink wine, I only drink decaf. My nurse had had numerous patients in the hospital for bleeding ulcers from alcohol/caffeine acid. So just in moderation. BUt it's one of those adjustments we all need to make when we chose the sleeve and a healthy lifestyle. It's not gone, but be thoughtful when you consume it.

my post diet instructions didn't restrict coffee but to watch out for too much caffeine cause it can cause problems going to the bathroom

I drink 3 cups a day, no restrictions from dr. But on the third cup I eat Breakfast as my stomach gets a sick feeling, then all good.

My NUT told me that coffee is a diuretic, that is the only reason they like you to wait. At my 2 week follow up I was averaging 80 oz of liquid a day so she said i could start with one cup a day until my 6 week visit. Depending on how you like your coffee which could be high in calories, they don't want people to get into the habit of drinking 5 DD's a day with sugar and cream.

one of the surgeons I spoke to when I was researching the surgery said that you could have coffee - but because of the diuretic effects, you had to replace each cup of coffee with 2 cups of Water in the early stages. He said that as you were 6 months to a year out and eating regular foods and consuming a normal amount of liquids easily, you could lower that to 1 cup of coffee to an extra cup of water - just to make sure you stay plenty hydrated.

Wow! coffee is apassionate topic - LOL I love coffee! I grew up on a coffee farm and roasted my own (Hawaii). I cant stand Decaf. My docs list says decaf coffee only. Well, some things I have chosen to research and make my own decisions on. Keep in mind I am 4 weeks out and have had absolutly no complications and had no co-morbidities prior to surgery. I never got heart-burn or acid reflux. However - I do know that coffee has quite a list of possible bad side effects (and good ones too). It can cause heartburn, it is acidic, it does suppress the apetite but it also causes an increased hunger when the suppression wears off - thus you get the rollercoaster effect. Caffeine causes dehydration, and is a diuretic, and can also cause loose bowels in some and others the exact opposite. Not to mention that the caffeine can cause malabsorption of Calcium.

I have not had side effects from coffee prior to surgery, and now post op - I am taking so many Vitamins and Calcium, and drinking far more Water than i ever did before, I have chosen to go ahead and enjoy my one (half) cup a day, but I make sure I have a full bottle of Water prior to or just after. I am a coffee purist - lol..... dont want my coffee meesed up with Protein powder or flavors.

So far my new tummy doesnt mind a 1/2 cup of coffee - I drink it very slowly tho.... make it last at least an hour :)