Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Felling Down After Gastric Sleeve Surgery, All This Emotional Rollercoaster And Pain Etc

I am feeling really down,today is my day 6 post op. I am getting tired of the gas pain,the nauseas ,the Vitamins and the post op liquid diet. Everyday I woke up with a bad burn sensation in my stomach,nauseas,stomach ache. I am getting depressed that I don't get better and time is going slowly. I know I am only 6 days post op and I still have a few weeks more to feel better. Is a terrible feeling. I haven't been able to take my Calcium because is the citracal petites and is hard to crush and swallow,they taste awful. Any recommendations to get a good calcium ( citracal chewable ) ? I am in pain still right now. My stomach hurts and I been trying to drink my Water and my Zero Powerade . I can't hardly have a few sips from chicken broth. I feel so ill,I don't know what I am doing wrong. I will go the bariatric clinic today and see if I can get an IV or something. This gas chest pain in too much for me. I need some encouragement here please :(

I'm so sorry you are feeling this way. Please hang in there it gets better. I had gas the 1st few days but I asked my doctor for protonix and I can say now I have no issue with gas. I was sleeved on 11/15/11

Hi Lilliana,

I felt the same way for the first week or so. I cried alot and had many regrets, wondering if I'd made a mistake. I will be three weeks post-op tomorrow and feel so much better. I've lost 28 lbs (counting the two week Protein diet before surgery). Please hang in there. It WILL get better. I got a lot of encouragement from the people on this site who are further along post-op, and I'm sure you will be hearing from some of them too. I hope you feel better soon.

Lilliana,

I'm so sorry you're having pain still! It will and does get better, and very quickly. Walk as much as you can, keep sipping your Water and concentrate on why you did this for yourself. Hopefully, your doctor's office will be able to help you feel better. Maybe you still need to be on the pain meds. Use them if you need them.

But, remember that you will feel better very soon...and that you have made the best decision for yourself. :)

Good luck on your journey!! :)

It really does get better. This is the weirdest surgery I have ever had (and I'm 2 years out) but trust me it does get better. Like the rest of them said Hang In There! The mental preparedness is the hardest, but be strong and keep posting. . . how did the dr appt go today?

The first couple weeks are pretty tough. Everyone experiences them differently. If you need an IV, go get one. You don't want to jeopardize your health. I could not drink much at all - Water, Soup, anything. The Protein made me gag and to this day I can't drink a Protein Drink. Here's how I got through the first few weeks:

- heating pad. I had that thing by my side at all times and I slept with it too. Even after the discomfort stopped, I slept with it as a security thing for a couple of weeks. Totally helped.

- Change up the liquids. I know we are not supposed to have sugar, but I was starving myself badly because I wasn't drinking anything at all. So, I switched to full sugar gatorade. I would dilute it because the flavor was too strong, but I got some electrolytes and some fluids and I felt better. I also started drinking milk. As soon as possible, I started drinking liquid yogurt and not the sugar-free kind. Your doctor may not recommend that for you, but that is what I did to maintain my health. I should say that something that tasted good one day would taste terrible the next, but I kept trying so that I could stay hydrated and nourished.

- My doc said no Vitamins for the first 2 weeks so I didn't worry about it.

- ACID REDUCER!!!! You must take one. I had dissolvable nexium from Mexico. Ask your doctor what you can have that blocks the acid production. I took this religiously for several months. In fact, in the second month I was taking 2 a day. These will save you!! The side affect for me: Water tasted terrible. I finally realized that was why I had such an aversion to drinking water in the beginning - my acid reducer changes my tongue somehow. However, you need to take the acid reducer so your stomach can heal and you don't damage your esophagus.

- Try to treat each day as a new experience. This part of the journey really sucks. I was dead-exhausted for 8 weeks because of the lack of Protein and calories I took in. It was horribly depressing and I thought I would never get through it. After this, you will feel better. You will have different hurdles as you go along (head hunger, anyone?). This is by far the hardest part. Do everything you can to stay hydrated, it will help.

You will make it!!!

Thanks you all,you ladies are amazing!!!

The first couple weeks are pretty tough. Everyone experiences them differently. If you need an IV, go get one. You don't want to jeopardize your health. I could not drink much at all - Water, Soup, anything. The Protein made me gag and to this day I can't drink a Protein Drink. Here's how I got through the first few weeks:

- heating pad. I had that thing by my side at all times and I slept with it too. Even after the discomfort stopped, I slept with it as a security thing for a couple of weeks. Totally helped.

- Change up the liquids. I know we are not supposed to have sugar, but I was starving myself badly because I wasn't drinking anything at all. So, I switched to full sugar gatorade. I would dilute it because the flavor was too strong, but I got some electrolytes and some fluids and I felt better. I also started drinking milk. As soon as possible, I started drinking liquid yogurt and not the sugar-free kind. Your doctor may not recommend that for you, but that is what I did to maintain my health. I should say that something that tasted good one day would taste terrible the next, but I kept trying so that I could stay hydrated and nourished.

- My doc said no Vitamins for the first 2 weeks so I didn't worry about it.

- ACID REDUCER!!!! You must take one. I had dissolvable nexium from Mexico. Ask your doctor what you can have that blocks the acid production. I took this religiously for several months. In fact, in the second month I was taking 2 a day. These will save you!! The side affect for me: Water tasted terrible. I finally realized that was why I had such an aversion to drinking water in the beginning - my acid reducer changes my tongue somehow. However, you need to take the acid reducer so your stomach can heal and you don't damage your esophagus.

- Try to treat each day as a new experience. This part of the journey really sucks. I was dead-exhausted for 8 weeks because of the lack of Protein and calories I took in. It was horribly depressing and I thought I would never get through it. After this, you will feel better. You will have different hurdles as you go along (head hunger, anyone?). This is by far the hardest part. Do everything you can to stay hydrated, it will help.

You will make it!!!

Thanks you so much :) Is getting slightly better and I am on Nexium dissolve packages too,is working now somehow :)

I experienced a lot more emotional issues than I did physical issues. I am very familiar with the roller coaster!!!! I actually developed panic attacks after the surgery and not only need and anti-anxiety but because of the severe ups and downs they had to increase my anti-depressant as well. I am almost 5 weeks out now and things are slowly getting better. When I start to feel regret, depressed, or have "buyer's remorse" I can do a better job of snapping myself out of it. Physically I have little to no pain unless I eat too fast, take too big a bite, or don't chew. It is vital that you get your liquid and Protein in each day. I know the first couple of weeks are hard, but as your stomach heals, it will get easier. I have kept a food & drug log since 4 days after my surgery and at first I couldn't get more than 50-55 oz of liquid and 65-75 g protein. Yesterday I was able to get down 96 oz liquid and 100g protein. You need the liquid to help stay hydrated and to help your body process the protein and keep your kidneys healthy. Take it slow and always keep the goal in mind.