Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where Are All The East Coasters?

Hi newbie,

I live in NS an hour from Halifax and was sleeved in Mexico with Dr. Aceves in March 2010. I've had a wonderful experience in every way including my surgery, recovery and the weight loss was pretty easy as well. I ended up losing 98 pounds going from 238 to 140.

I'd be happy to talk to you and answer any questions you might have.

Best of luck to you!

MJ smile.png

Hey there! I live in New Glasgow! Where are you located? I was sleeved Sept. 27 in Halifax by Dr. Elsmere

Sent from my SM-G903W using the BariatricPal App

Hi

I am in Halifax. I am being operated here by Dr. Elsmere. I have my pre-surgery clinic appointment today. I am so excited and nervous.

Hey there! I too was operated on by Dr. Elsmere. Message me anytime if you would like to chat!

I'm in Halifax! Definitely looking for connections and support. Local would be great, but it's comforting just knowing there are other East-Coasters out there too! (Sometimes don't you feel like you're the only one???)

Drop me a line if you want to! :)

Hi there! I'm in New Glasgow and was sleeved 5 weeks ago by Dr. Ellsmere. I'd love to chat!

losinforlife - Good luck on your surgery :)

I have been doing great since mine. I have lost 150lbs and have dropped 3 sizes in bottoms and 2 sizes on top (I am self-conscious about my loose flesh so I keep my tops loose).

That is a huge loss! Congratulations!!

Hey there!

From Halifax ????

A complete newbie- info session is Oct 28th

Feeling kinda alone- wish I knew more people who went thru or are going through the Halifax process ????

Love to chat!

Sonya

Hey there! I was sleevedo in Halifax 5 weeks ago... Care to chat?

I'm in Miramichi, NB. I had my referral in April of 2010 and just had the first visit with clinic in Bathurst last week. I'm waiting on a call back to go and meet the surgeon.

They tell me that it's typically a 4 to 6 month wait from the time you first get called until surgery, notwithstanding any complications that arise from blood work.

I'm hoping to get in before the end of the year.

I'm very nervous and very excited simultaneously. Looking forward to the process, looking forward to getting my second chance.

Hi Dan! I hope your surgery went well! I'm from NS. Do you care to chat?

Hi all! I'm in Houston, Tx and getting sleeved April 4!! Sooo excited!! But my sister lives in NS and is feeling frustrated and hopeless because the waiting list is 2 years in NS. I was telling her about people from Canada and US going to Mexico. When you go to Mexico, do you still do preop consults like here? Psych/cardio/nutrition/endo? If you did do it, where did you do it? Mexico or home? If at home, how difficult was it to do your preops there with timing and getting referrals? I really appreciate any info you can give me. I know she is feeling very down and depressed. Thank you!!

Hey there,

I live in Nova Scotia, and I was actually just coming on here to post about my issues with the system here. I was at my doctor this morning in hopes to be referred to the Obesity Network to get my surgery. I was on the wait list in Newfoundland but moved here before I could get it done.

My doctor said that the Obesity Network in NS is basically "in name only" now as the surgeon is unable to get any OR time. So I think your sister is not very informed on the actual wait times in NS. I also work in the medical field here, and the last quoted wait time I heard was 10+ years, and I was told that last fall.

So, needless to say, I am frustrated because my physician basically told me that she would not advocate for me through MSI in order to get the surgery done in another province. MSI emailed me and did indicate if I have a medical reason to get it done out of province they will cover it... Does anybody in NS have any suggestions on who I may be able to talk to in order to get this going?

I am attempting to save money for it to be done in Mexico, but I obviously would rather have it done in Canada.

I was sleeved 5 weeks ago in Halifax. Sadly I waited over 10 years to get this wonderful, lifesaving gift

Hi all! I'm in Houston, Tx and getting sleeved April 4!! Sooo excited!! But my sister lives in NS and is feeling frustrated and hopeless because the waiting list is 2 years in NS. I was telling her about people from Canada and US going to Mexico. When you go to Mexico, do you still do preop consults like here? Psych/cardio/nutrition/endo? If you did do it, where did you do it? Mexico or home? If at home, how difficult was it to do your preops there with timing and getting referrals? I really appreciate any info you can give me. I know she is feeling very down and depressed. Thank you!!

Hey there,

I live in Nova Scotia, and I was actually just coming on here to post about my issues with the system here. I was at my doctor this morning in hopes to be referred to the Obesity Network to get my surgery. I was on the wait list in Newfoundland but moved here before I could get it done.

My doctor said that the Obesity Network in NS is basically "in name only" now as the surgeon is unable to get any OR time. So I think your sister is not very informed on the actual wait times in NS. I also work in the medical field here, and the last quoted wait time I heard was 10+ years, and I was told that last fall.

So, needless to say, I am frustrated because my physician basically told me that she would not advocate for me through MSI in order to get the surgery done in another province. MSI emailed me and did indicate if I have a medical reason to get it done out of province they will cover it... Does anybody in NS have any suggestions on who I may be able to talk to in order to get this going?

I am attempting to save money for it to be done in Mexico, but I obviously would rather have it done in Canada.

I was sleeved 5 weeks ago in Halifax. Sadly I waited over 10 years to get this wonderful, lifesaving gift

Hey Amanda,

Just wondering if you can give me some information regarding your personal case. I am currently in a battle with MSI, so I'm hoping to gain some insight on how it works in Halifax. When did your first referral go in, when did you hear from the Obesity Network for your consult, and how long between consult to surgery? Do/did you have any co-morbidities?

Thanks for any help you can give. And sorry if those question are too personal!

Hello All ,

Im in Fredericton, i went to Toronto and had the gastric sleeve on July 19th ... Just surfing online looking at support groups. :)

8 hours ago, Tinky_Winky said:

Hello All ,

Im in Fredericton, i went to Toronto and had the gastric sleeve on July 19th ... Just surfing online looking at support groups. :)

hey Tinky Winky, how did you get NB to cover your surgery in ON? I'm currently fighting with NS to do the same, sine our wait list is 7 years just to the first appointment. :/

Hi! I got my surgery July 4, 2017. In Toronto now and looking for some pals

Hey i am from NL 63 years old schedueled for surgery november 15 2017 in montreal........very hopeful and nervous.

Hi all
I’m from NB and got my surgery on October 18, 2017 by Dr Rousell in Bathurst NB. ( my referral was made in May 2013)
I’m in my 2nd week post op with pain on left side which is preventing me from being able to do much of anything (no reaching , bending, minimal walking) I’m hoping it just goes away soon .