Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Could This Be Reflux Or Something More?

I'm going to call my dr as soon as his office opens but wanted to see if anyone here might have some input. BTW, I'm 3 weeks postop today. I woke up around 2:00 am this morning feeling like I was choking and what I first thought were the "slimes" that I've read about from others. I was gagging and then finally started vomiting, but it was only bile. After I got through that, I slept the rest of the night in the recliner.

My stomach was empty, as I hadn't had anything to eat since around 9pm, and didn't go to bed until after 11. My gallbladder was removed several years ago, so that's not an issue. My dr didn't prescribe a PPI after surgery, but I did mention to his nurse a couple weeks ago that i was having some burning sensations and coughing at night so she said I could try an over the counter solution. I bought Prilosec and it did seem to help as the night time coughing has stopped. Would reflux cause you to vomit bile? My stomach muscles are very sore from all the vomiting last night. I'm afraid to try eating this morning. Anyone else have trouble like this?

YES...my acid reflux always feels like choking! I take nexium 2xs a day now...and dont see that changing any time soon. The prilosec didnt work for me.

The nurse just called me back and said she thinks it's probably a virus because I still feel nauseous today. I'm supposed to try some sugar free Gatorade and call her back if it won't stay down.

I had this issue as well. I take Nexium daily and although it helped a little I still found that I needed to take tums to help calm down the acids in my tummy. I was always nauseous and always coughing but I also wasn't eating so the acids in my stomach didn't have anything to neutralize them so I began to eat more frequently throughout the day. It's been about 4 days since been increasing my food intake and four days since I've taken my Nexium and I haven't had any acid problems.

i hope you feel better soon. Ask your Dr/Nurse about the PPI again. The "virus" statement sounds "loose" to me. She can't determine that you had a virus over the phone. smh

I agree. I don't think it's a virus either. I've never had a virus that caused a burning sensation. I have a follow up appointment with my dr next Thursday, so I'll just ask him about this then, and do the best I can in the meantime to control the acid. My instinct is really leaning more toward that rather than a bug anyway. The Gatorade stayed down fine and I was even able to eat a bit. I'm going to try your suggestion of eating more frequently. Thanks!

I had the same thing last night. I was up for about 3 hrs and every time I laid down I had to run back to the bathroom. It started with the slimes again, then vomiting. I feel ok today, but I've been having some major heartburn/acid issues since the surgery. I take zantac in the morning and at night and it's been working... Although I feel like I haven't been eating as much as I should and I know that most days I don't drink as much as I should. I find I often forget to eat because I'm pretty busy at work or with the kids. Hopefully this was just a one time thing because I had to call into work today...I lost my voice from throwing up all night :( I making an effort today to get in lots of fluids.

Well, I ended up at ER early this morning after another awful night of waking up with choking/vomiting. After some IV fluids and some medicine for nausea, I got to come home and slept for several hours with no problems.

Talked with my surgeon's nurse again and she still feels sure it's a virus (I definitely don't but not going to argue with her). She said she asked the dr and he said just in case it is reflux to be sure and take the Prilosec right before I go to bed. I have an appointment on the 8th, so in the meantime I'm going to document every little detail and talk to my dr about all this then. I just feel sure this is an acid issue. I also asked my husband to pick up some tums and I will try those when I eat to see if that helps too.

I do find it odd that I didn't have these issues before surgery. They did repair a hiatal hernia that was discovered during surgery, but other than my last pregnancy over 15 years ago, I've never had heartburn or other acid type issues. Hopefully this is a temporary thing.

I never had heartburn/reflux issues pre-op - in fact, I always bragged about my "stomach of steel" (I could eat anything from spicy buffalo wing sauce, jalapenos, hot salsa, etc.) but I've had reflux since my surgery. I was originally on omeprazole twice daily and I've just been switched to Dexilant in the morning and OTC Zantac at night. My surgeon and nutritionist said that most people may only need the PPI for 6-12 months so I am hoping that is the case for me!