Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody Else Feel Guilty?

The past few days I have eaten really crappy. Nowhere what I ate pre sleeve. But definitely over my 800 calories. I worked out yesterday and mall walked today. Bit I'm still feeling like a failure and am scared I will have gained 5 pounds:(

Guilt and fear are good emotions to feel. They are indicatiors that we are not doing what we know we should be doing. Imagine how destructive it would be if you felt no shame for transgressions.

You know what you did wrong, you know that it was not in your best interest to move you toward success and you what you need to do in the future to avoid feeling this way again. Now pick yourself up, stop feeling bad and everytime you have a decision to make view it as an opportunity to be succesful. Many small, correct decisions will lead to very rewarding outcomes.

I doubt that you gained 5 pounds. We all have slips, even with the sleeve. It doesn't make our choices for us. But don't beat yourself up. As Paul said above, new day, new start. Just regroup and move on. You will do great. For me, dweling on the negative feelings tends to drag me down and keeps me from seeing the bright side of things - like what I did right or keeping perspective (things weren't that bad). So accept you are only human and back to rocking that sleeve! Congrats on the progress you made so far!!!

Didn't we do this crap enough when we where fatter? Didn't we beat ourselves up enough? Why should we feel so guilty over everything we do? We have this wonderful tool and helps with restriction. We will never again eat like we used too. Never again will we be 100 lbs, 150 lbs, 200lbs, overweight. . . aren't we allowed to live our lives finally? I can tell you something. . I love me, I am a success, and I will never again feel guilty because I ate something I truly enjoyed. . . good luck ! And enjoy YOU!

You may be surprised that you may not have gained at all. But if you did, there is good news! Today is a NEW day, NEW beginning (thank GOD) and just get back on your program, you will be fine...hugs!

i have problems eating enough to be quite honest. going on close to 3 months post op, can eat pretty much what i want, just im never hungry, just had 30 grams of Protein via shake form, there some leftover turkey around here tho...hehe..

I have eaten carb carbs carbs for three days straight- I loved every bit and I am firmly back on plan today. Recently I got to a new place mentally- I know I will get to goal, I feel good about myself, I work out a LOT, and I also accept I am a human being in a human body, living the human condition and holidays are a time of food traditions and I will happily participate. This is new for me- the other few times I carbed it up since surgery I felt very gulty and beat myself up emotionally. I have never had any problem going right back to my plan though and I shifted only recently to forgiveness and moving forward. One great thing- I just can't eat that way day after day- it feels BAD. That is also new! I was worried the carbs would lead to carb craving but it's the reverse- I feel low energy after and am happy to return to my low carb high Protein ways.

We have our new tummies for life- we need to live in harmony with our bodies and our lives and oru wonderful tools can help us do that.

I cheated on Thanksgiving (and the day after) too. My mom made this divine pumpkin roll, and I had to have a slice--with whipped cream! With my family, Thanksgiving is a day long even with a buffet of subs, dips, chips, and Desserts before the actual Thanksgiving feast! I can't physically eat as much as I used to be able to (like everyone else here!), but I definitely "ate around my sleeve" by grazing.

I feel guilty because I know better. I know that it's easy to gain back the weight if I don't watch myself. I just completely let go. And, it showed on the scale. I stalled- didn't gain any weight (luckily), but I didn't lose either.

The important thing is to stop and get back on track. It's all too easy to slip back into old habits (which is why I cheated the day after on leftovers). We indulged on a holiday, but we learned from our mistakes. We can do this :smile1:

I felt a bit guilty too because I love meat. I ate ham at least 5 times a day for three days straight and then had some dark meat turkey. Not a big sweets person so I did have a pre-surgery sized "bite" of pumpkin pie. Each time I had the ham, I also had my Mom's cornbread dressing. OMG soooooo delicious. I thought for sure I had put on 10 lbs but I weighed myself this morning and I LOST 3 more lbs!! No more guilt!

Even if I had stalled or gained, I would have been ok with it because it is ok to indulge once in a while as long as we do it infrequently.

Shae

Here's my view on these surgeries. I did this for the restriction of how much I can eat, not for what I could eat. I eat whatever I feel like without guilt. I have candy, ice cream, Cookies, etc that are specifically mine. I have self control and can go a month without touching them, but if the craving comes I eat it. I refuse to deny myself treats. The key now is that I can have a bite and be satisfied instead of downing half a gallon of ice cream or half a loaf of french bread. I didn't do this surgery so I would have to be on a life long diet. I REFUSE to eat like I am on a diet.

Yes I go for Protein first, but it's not for a matter of dieting, it's a preference now because I got used to eating that way.

I also refuse to count calories, have never once counted them, nor Protein, nor carbs or anything else. If I have a week where the scale goes up, so what. We all fluctuate. If the scale bothers me, I just reevaluate my choices and go from there.

Don't beat yourself up for enjoying life.