Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Gastric Sleeve Surgery Story

Hello All,

My name is Kim and I am a 36 yr old female from Boston. Like so many people I have tried soooo many diets and fads and of course they don't last. Right now I weigh 270 and I'm 5'7. I hope to have VSG in February!! But I need major help. I cannot stop eating right now, even though I feel full I cannot stop putting something in my mouth it is sooooooo gross!! Am I going to fail once I have VSG? I need to talk to someone!! I have no motivation to exercise either!! Any advice out there??

-Kim

I think that if you have the motivation to do the surgery then whether you fail or succeed will all depend on your mind set. It is very very difficult to fail when you do vsg. You WILL not be able to overeat without vomiting, however if you eat constantly all day long and do not follow the guidlines your doctor sets up for you then you may indeed fail. However if you make up your mind that you will do well and you will not fail and tell yourself that you will do it you will do it you will do it then you will do it. You already have the strongest tool, your mind now get that additional tool, the sleeve, to help you along the way.....

Kimma,

It sounds like you are having a food funeral. You just need to let yourself know that you WILL be able to eat after surgery. You will be able to eat all of the foods you love, just in smaller portions. The food funeral almost seems to be a natural part of the process leading up to surgery, though.

As for motivation to exercise, try this: The more you exercise now, the easier your recovery from surgery will be. You'll be stronger, fitter, and may even lose a few pounds if you begin a program now. Also, you'll have an easier time developing and maintaining an exercise program if you start now. Lastly, I can walk 2 miles on the treadmill at 2.4 mph...and I started at 352. Can you out-walk me? A little challenge is always a good thing, right? ;)

If you are so eager to make it happen to you, you wont got a day without fighting against failure. So YES I think the sleeve will be the answer u need to all ur past trails, but you need to put ur heart into this journey.

The sleeve is gonna always be there for you more than the support you have ever received before in you life, so now it is ur turn to work with your sleeve and let the magic begin.

If you dont, it will still help you but you will come to a point where you are just taking 100% advantage of this surgery, so why pay and go through a life threatening ( surgery like any other minor surgeries) and waste time and effort after that. Once you are on the loser bench you will have a new perspective on weightloss and all the pessimism will go away . Best of luck:)

Hi Kim :smile1:

Well our stats are (were) very similar. I was 36 when I was sleeved, I weighed 272 Lbs on surgery day and I'm 5'7. I did my very best to NOT have those last meals because I knew that #1, any weight I gained I'd have to eventually work toward getting them back off again and #2, I would be able to eat all of those things again someday... within moderation.

What you are feeling is COMPLETELY normal. Don't beat yourself up over this. IMO, these feelings of defeat are the number one reason (at least in my case) why I got fat in the first place. That vicious cycle of self mental abuse. I won't do that to myself anymore! If I make a mistake, which I do - I just move on and tell myself I'll do better next time. This has worked miracles for me. It has gotten me to where I am today, which is now working on my Post, post, post goal... LOL :smile1:

No worries, you will be a success - but only if you believe you will.

I ate like crazy right before my sleeve surgery. I thought that I wasn't going to be able to eat anymore. It is totally normal. The sleeve surgery changed my life! (And I had a band,which did not help me much at all, except to make me feel like more of a failure). With the sleeve, the ghrelin is reduced way down. I believe that is what took away my obsession with food. Then your stomach is so small, that you are forced to change your eating habits. You don't have a choice. You are going to do great. I know February seems like far off, but it will be here before you know it. I am so happy you are making this life changing decision. We will be here to support you!

I ate like crazy right before my sleeve surgery. I thought that I wasn't going to be able to eat anymore. It is totally normal. The sleeve surgery changed my life! (And I had a band,which did not help me much at all, except to make me feel like more of a failure).With the sleeve, the ghrelin is reduced way down. I believe that is what took away my obsession with food. Then your stomach is so small, that you are forced to change your eating habits. You don't have a choice. You are going to do great. I know February seems like far off, but it will be here before you know it. I am so happy you are making this life changing decision. We will be here to support you!

Thanks Becca, sometimes I forget this little fact. :smile1: It's just amazing what this sleeve does for us!