Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Primal Or Paleo

Has anyone heard of the Primal or Paleo diet? Thinking about giving it a try. Going to pick up the cookbook.

Deb

I did a google search on it and from what I have read, it sounds unhealthy. I am not a nutritionist or a biologist but I personally would not knowingly eat raw meat nor would I feed it to my family. There are just too many diseases that can kill you that live in raw meats, especially poultry.

I think that this was a good diet for our ancestors as it was the only thing available at the time, before they learned how to use fire to cook and kill bacteria. Our ancestors didn't have a very long life expectancy either.

If I were you, I would get with a NUT and your surgeon before trying this diet because your main goal should be to be healthy.

Shae

Wow... first I've heard of this one. No comment. :blink: Just be safe.

Paleo is not a raw meat diet. I have done this diet many times in the past with great results, but the permanent lifestyle change is hard to maintain. You need to be VERY hardcore! It is a diet consisting of: all meats (keep away as much as you can from deep fried), veggies, berries, seedsand nuts. Fruits are allowed in moderation. Dairy is outlawed as are all grains and legumes. It is basically eating the way our ancestors would have before processed foods were introduced. Heres a great outline: http://www.squidoo.com/naturalhumandiet

Thanks Ateam for the support :smile1: The receipes I found online sound so yummy!!! I can't wait to try them.

Deb.

I've been hearing a lot about paleo too, and just thought it sounded like a more extreme form of low carb, primarily. Interesting. Keep us posted on your results if you start!

Just discussing this with my daughter the other day-How since surgery my diet has almost become Paleo just on it's own. Except for the dairy. Since most of my meals meals consist solely of a Protein and some veggies.

But never will become completely Paleo until they figure out how to do a Paleo pizza!!

Just FYI, raw meat is fine to eat. I'm not saying the Paleo diet is a raw meat diet, but I just wanted to chime in.

The *only* reason we need to cook our meat now is due to the disgusting mechanized way super markets slaughter their cows. The process ends up with a ton of germs and bacteria on the outside of the meat, so store bought meat needs the OUTSIDE of it cooked well enough to kill those germs.

That's why you can eat a rare steak. As long as the surface is cooked enough to kill the germs from processing, you're fine.

Note: you should NEVER eat raw hamburger from a store for this reason, the germs are all mixed up in the meat... and this is why it's a bad idea to ever order a rare hamburger.. in fact, most restaurants won't serve them to you less than medium.

TheMoreYouKnow.jpg

I had amazing results Pre sleeve with paleo. I'm talking like 20 lbs. month. I'll let you know how it goes in a few weeks when I can start up again!

I had amazing results Pre sleeve with paleo. I'm talking like 20 lbs. a month. I'll let you know how it goes in a few weeks when I can start up again!

I do paleo every so often because it goes right along with low carb, and there are some FABULOUS recipes. I don't think I could completely give up dairy though, same problem with veganism for me when I was a vegetarian.

I haven't been sleeves yet but I've done the primal blueprint and I love it! He says as long as your following it 80% of the time your being successful. I lost the most and felt the best while I was on the primal diet. It was hard to stick with but once you over come the changes its so worth it

People who know nothing about Paleo seem to jump right to "It's unhealthy, you only eat raw meat." I've been eating Paleo for the last month (Sleeved in July 2011) and I have not eaten raw meat once... ick!

The Paleo lifestyle in a nutshell is meat, veggies, fruit and nuts (portions in that order). No refined sugars, no grains, no legumes and nothing processed. Hardcore Paleo people say no dairy as well. *Note there is no mention about raw meat and nothing unhealthy about it. It's essentially how sleevers should be eating.

I feel *fabulous*. I have so much more energy. In fact, I think anyone who has the sleeve or is considering getting the sleeve should eat completely Paleo for at least 30 days so they can see how great they feel. I did 30 days by the book and now I plan on adding back in some dairy. My husband and I eat mostly meat and veggies with some fruit and nuts added in. I love that it's not just some crash diet, it's a lifestyle. It is extremely healthy and I would highly encourage everyone to do some research, look up some recipes and try it for at least 30 days. It goes right along with the guidelines for the sleeve and how we SHOULD be eating post-op. (After recovery of course).

If anyone has any questions or wants some great Paleo recipes, let me know. :)

Has anyone heard of the Primal or Paleo diet? Thinking about giving it a try. Going to pick up the cookbook.

Deb

If you go to Pinterest.com and search "Paleo", TONS of great recipes will pop up :)