Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating Out -- What Do You Eat?

I am dining Chinese on Saturday with hubbys whole family....I have been looking at chinese menu's for two days trying to figure out what to order so I don't get tongue tied infront of everyone. We have never been to this place so I don't know the menu. If all else fails I will go with soup...:) Wish me luck!

I eat whatever looks good' date=' just much less-- as you plan to do. This works for me cause I have a SLEEVE OF STEEL and can eat anything. Some others are not as lucky. Hopefully you will be lucky like me![/quote']

Does anyone remember what you were eating 1-2 weeks out? Where u still eating broth or were you on soft food, mashed pot , green Beans etc... I'm having a hard time knowing what I can eat. Seems like the drs. list ar all if different. Help. I don't wantbo eat something I'm not supposed to and not loose wight.

For me, I always order the normal size meal, but I only eat a fraction of it. If it is anything with bread, I typically eat 1/4th of it and then I get to take left overs home... :)

I am almost 2 years out and the one thing that I still can't do is mix fluids with solids...

Left overs are always awesome though! :)

I eat off my three year olds plate. I am way too cheap to pay for a meal that I can only eat a few bites of. I have actually saved so much money. Before surgery I would eat out almost daily on average ($7.00) a meal... so that's about $50 a week and almost $200 a month back in my pocket. :-) Extra money for those new clothes I'm going to be buying soon and also helps out with Christmas right around the corner.

Does anyone remember what you were eating 1-2 weeks out? Where u still eating broth or were you on soft food, mashed pot , green Beans etc... I'm having a hard time knowing what I can eat. Seems like the drs. list ar all if different. Help. I don't wantbo eat something I'm not supposed to and not loose wight.

I was still on liquids, chicken broth, apple sauce, Jello o, pudding ALL sugar free of course. At two weeks I was able to go back to regular foods. Just introduce things slowly.

I dont eat out too much, but when I do I must admit I feel bad and think that the waitress/waiter think I didnt like the food or something.

Does anyone remember what you were eating 1-2 weeks out? Where u still eating broth or were you on soft food' date=' mashed pot , green Beans etc... I'm having a hard time knowing what I can eat. Seems like the drs. list ar all if different. Help. I don't wantbo eat something I'm not supposed to and not loose wight.[/quote']

I'm a week out so I'm on mushies. In a day I will eat 1 egg scrambled, 1 Protein shake, 1 Greek yogurt and if I can a piece of smoked salmon. At this stage I'm really concentrating on Water, Protein and Vitamins. Me and the wife tried a restaurant last night and I ate half a bowl of potato leek Soup and for a moment I felt less masculine because she had a plate of penne Alfredo but then I thought why should I feel this way eating does not make me a man and its not a hobby or sport its merely for nourishment.

Well...I did it. My dining out experience went very well. We went out for Thia food and I had a Bangkok Boat. It had shrimp, Scallops and white curry sauce. It was AMAZING!!! I ate two shrimp and two scallops. I ate slow and enjoyed the company and gave the rest to everyone to try for a new dish next time they come in..:) It was a great experience for my first time out in almost 5 weeks!!

These are one great ideas! I have to travel for work around my 6th week post op. My job loves to feed us. There will be at least 3 days of eating out with a group for Breakfast, lunch and possibly dinner. I'm not sure how it will go as none of them know that I had surgery. Also this groups meets at least bi-annually. So this is our 6th meeting in the past few years. This will be interesting!

I eat whatever looks good, just much less-- as you plan to do. This works for me cause I have a SLEEVE OF STEEL and can eat anything. Some others are not as lucky. Hopefully you will be lucky like me!

I am the same way, nothing bothers me. When we go out to eat I order whatever I want, eat 4 bites of the protien first, then a bite of veggie and a bite of starch. That does it for me and the rest comes home. I can usually get 3 to 4 meals out of one restaurant meal. Sometimes if I like what hubby has ordered I just ask for an extra plate and take a few bites off of his. We eat out often and I have had zero issues. Just like eating anything anywhere, protien first and you can't go wrong.

ROFL that post that someone wrote they have a sleeve of steel, had me cracking up. I feel the same way, my sleeve is amazing, I just had my first steak today, ordered 9oz, ate about 4-6oz, few bites of asparagus. Feel great.

These are one great ideas! I have to travel for work around my 6th week post op. My job loves to feed us. There will be at least 3 days of eating out with a group for breakfast' date=' lunch and possibly dinner. I'm not sure how it will go as none of them know that I had surgery. Also this groups meets at least bi-annually. So this is our 6th meeting in the past few years. This will be interesting![/quote']

You should be on soft foods at least by then. Fish will be your friend. chicken, very moist and well chewed is good also. Soup will almost always be ok. cheese if they have apps.

I'm planning our company retreat now. We eat at pretty high end places (it's a reward for the team). I was sure to incorporate things I could eat in the menu's which are sitting right here in front of me (I'll be at week 9 from the first surgery and 3 from the second...I started pureed/well chewed foods this week). So I have things like Alaskan Halibut, King Salmon, Stewed chicken (it's called something fancier), Potato's, Panna Cotta, Soft cheeses, Scallops, tuna tartare, Lobster and Crab Cakes, (not deep fried) steak tartare, roasted Tomato Soup with parmesan....does that give you any ideas?

My surgeon does not require I watch carbs so that makes it easier. I think for a conference I'd not worry about that and be sure to have some back up food just in case. I am taking yogurt and some Protein powder if I need a boost during the day. I drink iced tea mostly, but will sip a bit of wine during the event. Unlike you, everyone knows I had the surgery (not intentional but it was hard to hide 22 days in hospital) so I have a bit easier time than you. Talk a lot, nibble and enjoy it. Six weeks out should be an easier time than my 3/9 LOL

I was just telling hubby that now I can order all those 'fancy' dishes that only give you a tiny bit. I would never have considered that before, worrying it wouldn't be enough to satisfy me!

I was just telling hubby that now I can order all those 'fancy' dishes that only give you a tiny bit. I would never have considered that before' date=' worrying it wouldn't be enough to satisfy me![/quote']

Caviar, lobster and crab are among the top Protein foods per gram that a person can eat :) (Parmesan cheese is the highest) lean cut steaks, salmon....all the good stuff :)

Tell hubby caviar is a requirement on the diet :P Sure that appetizer was 90 bucks...but it's for your health! lol