Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thanksgiving Post Gastric Sleeve Surgery

While I realize we will not be eating the same this Thanksgiving, I was wondering what the group has in mind. Good to hear from our experts to share with all of us newly sleeved what to hey do, have done or plan to do this Thanksgiving. food ideas very much appreciated.

I know for me, my son loves Turkey. My husband it is ham so i am looking to cook both but much smaller quantities. We already have a plan to go for a long walk near a local waterway following lunch. In the past, we would watch movies. Not this year!

Smiles.

I am going to my mothers for thanksgiving dinner. There will be all the normal foods, however i will be just shy of 1 month post op so i think for me i will be tryinh very lilttle turkey, mash tato's and maybe a spoon full of pumpkin pie. I am not sure i will be up for the turkey but i will try.

I'm pretty much eating normal foods now. Just teenie tiny amounts. We are having T'giving with friends and they don't know about the surgery so I'm bracing for all the comments for not eating a lot. :)

well you could always use the old "i'm not feeling 100% today" if they ask.

I will be almost 4 months out by then and I will be eating a little bit of everything. We are having a gang of people over so I will be making tukey and all the fixings! Yummy! I will pass on the hors d'ouervres so I have room for the traditional dinner! That is the joy of having this procedure!

I will be 10 weeks out on Thanksgiving. My goal is to stay away from all bread products. I will start with turkey and cranberry sauce. I will allow myself a tiny amount of potatoes.

My sister is making a banana pudding that I will try. Of the massive amounts of Desserts, I feel that is the least harmful.

Any good suggestions for someone that 1) will be in the soft/mushy post op stage at Thanksgiving and 2) has no idea how to cook?

Thanksgiving will be my 21st day post op. I'm really nervous but excited to eat normal food. My belly is use to mushy/ Clear liquids for days now and I'm not sure how turkey will sit in my belly. I guess I will just have to take it slow and pay attention to what my stomach is saying to me.

can we have mashed potato? My surgeon told me no starches till I was 4mnths out but that's one thing that I'm craving.

Thanksgiving will be my 21st day post op. I'm really nervous but excited to eat normal food. My belly is use to mushy/ Clear Liquids for days now and I'm not sure how turkey will sit in my belly. I guess I will just have to take it slow and pay attention to what my stomach is saying to me.

can we have mashed potato? My surgeon told me no starches till I was 4mnths out but that's one thing that I'm craving.

i have tried potatos and it doesnt go down well for me. makes me feel like i will be sick. i hope i can one day eat a potato again!

I will be 7 days post op on Turkey day- I did get a ham for my hubby and will be cooking some sides for him- I will be having broth/soup and enjoying his company- He told me to chew the ham in my mouth and just spit it out- sounds yummy AND gross but I dont think i'm going to risk it. Too much of a tease.... I am however hoping that my doc will let me eat some cranberry sauce (from a can) that is sort of like Jello constiancy-- that would be ok with me :)

Last year I was just over four months post op. We rented a cabin and invited family from all over the country to visit with us - I had 16 in for Thanksgiving dinner. I made a HUGE spread. I worked really hard and it was very good...but I could only eat a few bites here and there!

I chose Protein first and had some soft white meat with gravy, then I opted for some of my very favorite foods - but I only had one bite of each thing. I will not lie - I made a point to eat "softer" foods so I could eat a few more bites than if I opted for more meat or salad. Hey, it's a holiday! I think I skipped the stuffing and rolls altogether to save room for the good stuff. And instead of indulging in way too much overly sweet dessert, I just nabbed a small bite of each item from a family member's plate! I didn't feel deprived in any way despite avoiding some dishes entirely.

This year we're overseas and away from family, so we're joining friends at their table. The best part? I only have to bring dinner rolls and won't have to cook for an entire week to feed everyone! I'll go after the turkey for sure, with lots of gravy and maybe do the same as last year and have a tiny bite of each of my "can't feel like it was Thanksgiving without this" foods.

In the mushy stage it's WAY easy to do Thanksgiving! Puree some turkey and gravy, eat a few bites of sweet potatoes, eat some super soft dressing with gravy, enjoy delicious homemade cranberry sauce. YUM! You can even eat a bite of pumpkin pie if you leave room.

The only advice I have to offer is to remember that this is no longer the stuff yourself until you pass out holiday it used to be for many of us. If you accept that going in, you'll find that you can enjoy your small portions so much more. I think I actually tasted my food more post op than I ever did when I was inhaling it by the plateful in years past!

~Cheri

im almost 5 months out there is only 4 of us and my poor mother has been worrying herself over what i will eat. i can really have anything just tiny amounts. i skip rolls bread potatoes and any dessert though and instead will have a Decaf latte for dessert with skim milk :)