Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long were you out of work?

I know everyone has different recovery time, but how long were you out of work?

I work on the computer, sitting at a desk, in an office. I can pretty much get up, walk around, take breaks when needed... I am trying to realistically plan on how much time I will need to be out?

thanks so much for sharing!!!

sabrina.

My work is a lot of the same as yours. I was out a week and a 1/2. First week back took it easy and left each day about 3-4. Then I was all good. Be mindful of the energy level because of the lack of calories. That and if you are on BP meds, may cause some serious dizzyness!

I had surgery on a Tuesday, went home Wednesday afternoon. I was off work until my 3 week checkup (which was a Tuesday). Wednesday - Friday after the check-up I worked from home (I, too work on a computer). The next week I went to the office and stayed half days. I have a two hour commute, which was my doc's major concern. He didn't want me in a car for over an hour without taking a 5 minute break to walk around. So I would drive towards my office for an hour, stop at a quick-trip store, walk around, buy a bottle of Water, use the facilities and get back in my car for the rest of the drive. I staid at a hotel the first week back at the office rather than make the drive every day. The second week back I worked 6 hour days and stayed at the hotel again. The third week back I stayed full days. I just didn't have the energy for 8-12 hours days for a few weeks.

I have a desk job, too. I was sleeved on Wednesday, October 19th, released from the hospital on Friday afternoon and was back to work Tuesday, October 24th with no issues. I could have gone back on Monday but I really didn't like my boss at the time so I took a "Me" day and went shopping.

I work as a 911 emergency dispatcher and I am hoping for 4-6 weeks off. My job is highly stressful, although it is a sit-down desk type job. I figure this is the time to take care of me, so i'm going to aim for as much time as i can.

My doctor gave me 1 month off, because of the little amount of food your energy level becomes zapped. I would take a month to be safe, especially if you have fmla.

Chanel

I only felt the need to take two weeks off. My job is only a little bit physical. I work in a medical center but am very rarely required to do any lifting or anything like that. There are only two other people on my shift and they were really great and supportive about helping me get patients and making sure that I didn't push any wheelchairs or anything for the first week or so back. I have been back for a month and I occasionally still have people ask me if I should be doing something, but physically I feel better than I did before surgery. I also only work four hours a day, usually, but by my second week back at work I was covering 12 hour shifts and not breaking too much of a sweat.

I felt really great after surgery, but I do think it is important to listen to what your body tells you. Your surgeon will take their cues from you as to what you can handle with regard to going back.

I took 2 months off. actually more really. i return dec 5th, but i am a merchant mariner who works and lives on a ship, overseas away from normal life, so i needed the time to heal, 2 months or so out, 50 pounds lost! :Banane55:

I work from home, 4 days 10 hours shifts. I was eligibile for FMLA after 7 consective days but at a reduced salary which I could not afford. I had surgery on a wednesday, came home Thursday morning and went back to work the following Wednesday. I wish that I had worked a normal 8 hour shift the first week after but I took a cat nap during my lunch hour since I work from home. i did get up and walk around the apartment every hour since I was still taking blood thinner shots for 14 days after surgery. Everybody is different on how the handle the pain and if you have any complications after surgery. Mine was uneventful. Good Luck.

I was sleeved on a Thursday and went back to a week after the following Monday, about 10 days off. I had to keep reminding myself that I had been to Mexico and had my stomach cut out because I never had any problems, very little discomfort and I hardly even remember now what it was like to be on liquids. This is one of the best decisions I ever made, and I have made a bunch of bad ones along the way. :) Kathe

I was sleeved on Nov. 2 and went back to work on Nov. 7. I only worked 1/2 day, but could have made it the whole day. I worked 1/2 day for 2 days then stared back full time. I am a high school secretary and sit on my butt at a computer all day. so it was fairly easy!

Rhonda

PS__I have no idea why this is underlined... I can't take it off!