Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Freezing after about 3.5 months post vertical sleeve

I am 3.5 months post surgery and overall I am doing well. I have lost 53 pounds so far. I am FREEZING most of the time. When I get cold, I feel cold from the inside of my body out. I go to bed shivering but as I sleep I become very warm. Do other people have this? When does it go away? It seemed to get really bad about a month ago when my hair started falling out. What do you do to stay warm? A warm shower is usually the only thing that will warm me up. Any thoughts?

Yes I have this too. I go to bed with a heating pad on my feet. Hair loss for me is still bad. Why does the hair on my head fall out but the hair on my legs and armpits seems just fine :cuss:

Khy

Agreed. I'm cold during the day. Especially here in the northeast. And right now I'm in bed and HOT. My hair is still falling out too. Hopefully in the next few months this will all change.

I am cold too...almost all the time. I am 6 months out. Hair loss seems to be slowing down. I go to bed hugging a heating pad. Sometimes I put it under the covers and then go brush my teeth to warm it up in there!. If hubby goes to bed before me, he will lay on my side to warm it up! Sweet man! I just wear cuddle duds long underwear every day and that helps. I also have had that cold from the inside out feeling. Also my nose gets cold and when that happens...I am COLD for a long time. I also use those little hotties hand warmer things when I will be outside for a long time like at a sporting event. I will hold them against my nose , drop them in my bra and keep them in my pockets! They are wonderful!!!

I just attribute it to the fact that I have lost my polar layer....I would rather be cold!

Living the dream!!

Laura

Why the Hair loss?

hair loss is a common side effect from WLS surgery. There are several theories: lack of Protein, lack of Vitamins, shock to the body from rapid weight loss. There are also lots of suggestions to stop the loss: Biotin (my option), changing Shampoo (Pantene seems to be considered bad), making sure you get your Protein daily, extra Vitamins.< /p>

If you find something that works, or if you don't experience the loss, count your blessings...and share the info! :)

I'm not losing hair yet, but mine is pretty thick, so I may not notice for longer than most. :)

i have been complaining of being cold for weeks now. i think it is funny because i used to be hot all the time. i would sweat all the time. especially on my upper lip, and as soon as i would put makeup on or do my hair. i havent been sweating at all anymore...just shivering. i have to take a hot bath to warm me up. i have to be wearing multiple layers all the time.

i have been losing my hair a little. i have always lost lots of hair daily though. i have super thick hair....tons of it. so i think the Hair loss isnt bad at all. except for it being all over my clothes. and i do mean all over. i do think that it is funny too that the pits, legs and bikini area dont seem to have hair loss at all. :P

I used to be the warmest person ever! My wife always cuddled up to me because I was so warm. Up in the mountains in the snow, we would rotate gloves because mine would be so warm. I am now 4 months out and freezing all the time, but as the previous poster said, I would rather be cold than obese.

But, we do have one method to get us both warmed up together, wink, wink. :kiss2:

Hate to be the bearer of bad new...but I have been on maintenance for almost 8 months (surgery was 9/17/10 - goal in early Feb 11) and I still am cold most of the time.

Even living in sunny CA suffer from chills all the time. Now I carry a jacket in my trunk for those times when a restaurant is too cold or I am stuck. Suggestion - socks and fleece.

Face it, better thin and cold than sweaty and obese. No regrets, I love my sleeve.

I bought a heated a mattress pad...it's awesome. I freeze all day and then it's like slipping into a warm tub of Water. :)

I'm 8 months out and struggling with the cold too! And I live in Dallas.... getting weird looks wearing a winter coat when its 70 degrees outside! I think it really takes a while for the body to get used to not having as much insulation... not to mention it takes alot less energy to move around after such signifigant weight loss. We just aren't burning as much.

The hair loss is really about hormones... we store a ton of hormones in fat... and as it burns away those hormones are re-released into our systems. The Hair loss is about the same as you see after having a baby and occurs for the same reason. At 8 months my hair is now growing back in. Lots of funny little tufts of hair .... most folks don't notice but of course I'm hyper aware of them! But they are growing quick.

And as someone else said.... all of this is totally worth it.

Thanks! I am glad to know it isn't just me. Thanks for the advice on the Iron pills. I haven't taken them yet. I will get them because I need them anyway. I knew my hair would fall out, I am just sad it is falling out. I didn't have much to start with. I just noticed the cold feeling and hair falling out happened at the same time. Thanks guys!