Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

As alot of you know I have been talking about getting PS done in the future.

This summer I went to fla and was talking to my Grand mother about the raised keloids from the band surgery. She told me that keloids ran in our family :)

Then when I got back to TX and went back to work I was talking to this lady at lunch break about PS, she said she had a Breast red. and regrets it..Her nipples and uneven and she has bad keloids all the way around her nipple and down and around where they cut you.

So now I am really scared about getting cut! Knowing it CAN happen is one thing to deal with, but knowing that keloids run in your family is even more scarry!

AHHHHHH~

Has anyone eles talked to their families to find out if this or something like this happens in their family?

Yes I worried too about keloiding - I've seen it in my extended family but not in my immediate family.

My LapBand scars are thicker than I'd like (but they were used twice) but I want PS no matter what - I want a drop-dead body after being obese for so long...

It's too early to tell with my TT scar. So far I've seen no keloiding, but I'm crossing my fingers bccause although it's very, very thin (almost no width at all) it is definitely hip-to-hip across. I'm hoping it will fade well, so I better start working on it.

When I had my open heart surgery Ihad staples for both the chest scar and both legs. To this day I have huge keloids. With my lapbanding I told my dr. about it and he used absorbable sutures and steri-strips and I've had no problem. Talk to your doc about your concerns and good luck to you.

Thats a very good point, now that you said that I had just normal stitches in w/ my band and the stitches toward the end didnt want to disolve and made lil puss bumps until they were pulled out way after being healed up.

I think this had alot to do w/ my keloids.

Back when I got my tubes tied, the Dr used glue stuff and you cant even find those scars!

It has been 6 years since my tubal, and only almost 2 years since banding so I'm hoping that the scars will get better.

But like you I am tired of being a timid fat gal, I wanna be a sizzlin' Hot mama!

But I dont want my hubby to see me looking like Mrs. Frankinstien either...I guess I'm afraid If I dont like the way I look after PS I may never have sex again! or atleast it would be in the dark! and I would worry about stupid to some people but what If hubby started looking at pretty unaltered women?

I guess I'm just really really scared about it.

I keloided bad with my band scars. The TT and BL scars are really good. Nice and fine so far...hopefully they will stay that way.

My son has massive scars (not keloids) on his leg from multiple surgeries. Someone gave me a tube of "Keloid gel" made by Weleda in their Wala line. They're an anthroposophic company in Europe that makes homeopathic and organic products. Anyway, it seems to be diminishing his scars, however it's hard to really tell since I've covered them all and haven't done a comparison.

Keloiding runs in my family, and I have a huge problem with it. I had breast reduction surgery 20 years ago, and like the lady you know, I have horrible scars from it. Especially on the sides of my breasts. Fortunately, my band doctor used glue instead of stitches on me. I have keloiding from it, but not nearly as bad as on my breasts or other scars I have on my body.

My gallbladder scar is nasty. I was to have it laparoscopic but they had to do an emergent open so I have a huge scar all the way across my abdomen and that puppy is something. It is getting not as thick as it was (it was done about 15 years ago) but it is something that will always be very noticible. (I was even sewed back a bit crooked!) so my lapband scars were much, much better than that one. My port scar looks thicker and pretty darn red still (15 mos out) but this time I was put back together correctly so that is a plus. I dont think PS will be in the cards for me tho.

Just the other day! I was at work and he was up to his ears in a chart, so I went over (I don't know him well, but well enough to interrupt his work!) and asked him about a terrible new scar on my leg. It was a totally innocuous bump on the leg and healed into this terrible purple scar! he told me what to do for it, then I asked him about my lap band scar--he recommended Silicone scar Patches. The directions are on the box and he said you have to be religious about wearing them. A box lasts for 12 weeks and cost me $27.00 at Walmart. I am giving it the old college try!

i've been using the silicone scar strips for about a month and i notice the scars getting a bit flatter. i definitely have keloiding in my family. i also want a breast lift in the next 18 months, so i'm using my band scars as a test run.

...It's too early to tell with my TT scar. So far I've seen no keloiding, but I'm crossing my fingers bccause although it's very, very thin (almost no width at all) it is definitely hip-to-hip across. I'm hoping it will fade well, so I better start working on it.

Well, it looks like the TT scar (part of which was reused for my fibroid surgery) is apparently starting to thicken.

:) UPDATE AGAIN 10 DAYS LATER - This darn scar is changing like the weather, LOL. It's actually lighter than the rest of my skin. So it's not really darker like the older parts of the incision, but lighter (I wonder if this reflects the blistering I had from the Steri-Strips tape. I'm definitely allergic to that stuff.)

Hopefully this won't be the beginning of keloiding. What's so sad is, the rest of my TT scar was nice and flat.

I know Silicone Sheets have worked on flattening new scars but I hadn't heard about it's results on keloiding or pre-keloiding scars. I do worry about what's going to happen when I have the Boob Lift. But if I have to have revision of the TT scar, I'll do it. Maybe when I get the Boob Lift or Lipo on whatever other procedures I need.

Let me know how those strips work for ya!

Heya For those of you who had PS already, Did you use a body garment?

If so did your Dr give it to you or can I buy one somewhere?

I'm wanting to test out wearing one to see if it help my skin while I lose weight... I know Dr said I'd use one after my Lipo to tighten skin..

Nana~

Nana:

Unfortunately no garment can Tighten skin that hasn't been surgically removed.

The reason you sometimes get a garment afterward is to 'give support' to the area that has had surgery - it gives the patient some strength in an area that is weakened. Plus it helps keep post-surgical swelling (which is inevitable) to a more manageable minimum.

In fact, after surgery almost all patients are given a medical/surgical garment in the hospital then their individual surgeons may recommend particular garments (Design Veronique garments are often recommended after plastic surgery - they are very pricey but you wear them long enough to get your money's worth. There is also Lipo In A Box which is NOT a substitute for Lipo unfortunately, but can be helpful for PreOps who want to temporarily disguise our flab and for PostOps who are dealing with swelling & circulatory isses after surgery. On the budget end - the Flexees all-in-one under garments (sold in stores, online, at Amazon, etc) are popular with Post Ops.

Can any of these mimic the effect of surgery? No.

Can any of them help tighten skin? No.

But can they be effective as Post Op tools? Yes.

This is quite a journey, indeed. Good Luck!

Try Mederma...it is a very good cream to help reduce the look of scars.... I have a problem with scarring also....but not with Mederma!

www.mederma.com/