Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you do it? How did you get to Goal?

Hey Guys,

I have a question for everyone that has met their goal, how did you do it? I understand that the sleeve is only a tool and that is a huge part of our loss. I see lots of my sleeve brothers and sisters that have reached their goal in what I would consider record time. How are they doing it? Is this a calorie thing? Is it a workout that is working better than others. Sometimes I feel like this is a closely guarded secret. I know that my sleeve buddies are always happy to offer tips and suggestions on helping me get over this massive hump. I know that stalls come and go but I can not help but wonder if I am going to get over the hump. My doctor says that I only have a certain amount of time to get the weight off, so now I feel under the gun and I find myself feeling defeated. I don't want to be the one that is "flagged" as a failure here. I monitor my calories to 800 I eat my Protein first. I just started working out with a trainer. I have lost 70lbs in the last 7 months. I just wonder if this is it. Am I going to go any further? My friends tell me that it is just my body adjusting to the loss that I have already. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Great question... I am defo going to keep my eye on this thread. At 16mths out I am sooo close to goal I can almost taste it - pun intended...lol - but it 'feels' sooo far away...

I hit goal 3 days ago, 1 day before my 4 month surgiversary. I'm guessing most would say (and I would agree) this was really fast. Faster than I expected for sure. I'm sure you all have read these things, but to re-iterate:

1. You will have stalls. This is normal. Some folk really get down during this time and the old stinkin' thinkin' comes back. "Oh, why should I even try anymore. I'm a failure ... where is that tub of ice cream?" You actually want stalls. This is a signal your body is progressing and adjusting to your intake. Don't stop doing what you are supposed to be doing. Moreso now than ever.
  2. Excercise. Walk. Lift weights. Do something ... anything. Most of us led a sedentary lifestyle, so this may be new. Try to go for a walk everyday. And don't try to justify it. "I went to the mall and walked around, so that qualifies as my walk today." No. Get the stretchy pants on and that cool sweat wicking shirt and go for a walk around the neighborhood. That way, when the neighbors notice how skinny your are getting, they know you've been working hard!
  3. Get your Protein and liquids in. I loved my Protein shakes during my pre-op. Tasty-tasty. Then, post-op, I couldn't stomach them at all. I spent over $100 searching and testing different drinks until I found one that worked for me. (costco Premier chocolate & vanilla) $100 investment in finding what worked for me; I didn't give up. Keep searching until you find what works for you. Your body needs Protein to do this right.
  4. Don't weigh yourself everyday, especially you female types out there. (Y'all are more prone to Water retention and other whatnots) You will only drive yourself crazy and for what?
  5. Talk to your dietician about what is going on. After 1 month, I had no energy. Slept 9 hours a day and was dragging my hiney around by 2:00. It was terrible. Couldn't think and was not a nice person to be around. Called my NUT and she said I needed more carbs. I had been focused sooo much on protein, I wasn't eating hardly any carbs. I mixed more cooked carrots, Beans and a little potato in my diet and voila! Energy came back. Weight loss did slow, but as long as my calories burned was more than my intake, I knew I would lose.

The bottom line is calories in vs calories burned. If you are honestly eating 800 calories a day, and burning 2000 calories a day, you will lose weight. (I bought a BodyBugg and I was burning around 3200/day) It is not going to show up on a daily basis, though, and you are silly to believe it will. I want to reflect back on a word in the previous sentence: Honestly. I could easily convice myself I was not eating more than I was. I tracked everything in an app on my iPhone. My workouts and my eating. I saw everything.

This is how I do it. No great secret. I did what was suggested to me and was honest with myself. It isn't easy, but nothing about the sleeve has been what I would call "easy". I struggled with protein and still struggle with my liquids, but I keep trying. Getting on solid foods was a chore, but I keep on trying. It is raining here in the Northwest and it is difficult to motivate myself to go workout, but I keep on trying. I praise myself for my success and when I fail, I don't get down on myself ... I JUST KEEP TRYING!!

I am in the same rut. 6 months out and 70 lbs down, haven't lost anything in almost 2 months. However, 70 pounds is a big deal!!! My only advice is to stay focused and keep following your doctor's advice.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I know most of us track our calories on MyFitness pal. I am honestly on that more than my Facebook at this point. I guess today is just the day to question everything...lol Keep up the good work girls..Keep the info coming....this is awesome

For me, I followed my surgeons guidelines. I exercise daily and that is it.

No magic here. Just did what I was told and was persistant about my exercise.

Good luck to you!

Kelly

PdxMan, thank you for that! I love the whole "just keep trying" thing, it sort of puts a positive spin on this whole thing. It is about the journey and like you I'm going to JUST KEEP TRYING!

Thanks for my motivation today! :smile1:

I am not a goal yet, but I am almost at a normal BMI. I agree exercise and tracking helps. I work out 5-6 days per week unless I'm travelling. I'm not good at exercising while on the road. I track my Protein, calorie, and Fluid intake every day. I also measure my food with a scale or measuring cups and spoons. Otherwise,it's too easy for extra ounces to creep in portions and then my tracking can be off. And I have not returned to drinking alcohol yet. I've heard that slows down loss.

Lynda

I have opted to not use alchohol. I recently had a different procedure where I had pain meds and on that "high", my head was making some very poor food decisions. Plus, there are many documented cases of folks changing one addiction for another. Going from food to gambling ... shopping ... liquor ... It is a slippery slope I don't want to slide on.

I'm not quite at goal but I've been doing pretty well - at almost six months out. One thing I'm really excited about that I discovered recently was a way for me to get the weight moving again! Weight was still coming off, just slower the further out I am. I was reading an article on the 17 Day Diet and decieded to try Phase II (since Phase I is pretty much what I've already been doing, low calorie, low carb lean protein). I've lost 9 pounds since I started it on the 1st of November! Basically all I've been doing is alternating low calorie low carb days and then increasing the calories and carbs the next day, back and forth. Supposed to re-set your motabolism or something. But anyways I'm excited - I'm hoping to make it to goal by month 9 from my surgery date. = ) Sometimes shaking it up a little gets things moving again! = )