Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December sleevers!

I was sleeved 12/13/11 with my highest weight (before the preop liquid diet) being 312. I am pleased to say I have lost 118 pounds since then and am down to 194. The weight loss has definitely slowed but is coming off better the more Water I get in. I must say that I am also on the water distaste bandwagon. One thing that has helped is buying an infusion pitcher so I can flavor it with fruit or whatever so it doesn't taste so blah. I find that it sits easier in my stomach and I can drink more with it flavored than plain.....could be a head game but it works lol.

It is great to see all the progress everyone is making! Congrats to all!

Hello all!! My name is Jessica and I was sleeved on December 8, 2011 and I have lost a little over 100lbs. My a1c is almost normal and my PCOS is getting better. I'm so glad I found this forum so I learn about everyone else's experience. I started my journey at 412 and today I am 304!!

Hello All. Just an update from me. I'm down 87 pounds since 12/12/11.

So I finally realized that I wasn't really stalling the last couple months, I was gaining tons of muscle. Wish I knew how many true pounds of fat I've lost since I've been replacing those with muscle pounds.

I've been working out 5 days a week. 1 hour sessions or longer. Mainly elliptical or treadmill or a toning DVD I have.

I'm really proud of how my legs are looking. I'm wearing shorts all the time now, which I had been too embarrassed to do before. I'll try to post some pics shortly.

Hey all. I was sleeved 12/5/11. I've lost a 114 pounds so far. Things have slowed down for me a lot lately too, but I know it'll happen! I've gone from size 22 jeans to my 12s getting to be a bit bigger. I too have a hard time with regular Water, but I love Propel. I still struggle with getting in enough fluids too. And I find myself wanting to snack a bit here and there. I've given into it too much lately and the fact that I started dating a chef doesn't help much either. At least what he makes is fresh ingredients and usually healthier options.

So glad you are all doing well!

Keep it up!

I was sleeved on 12/28/11 and am down 76lbs since surgery and down 107lbs from my heaviest point.

I have just returned from my check up. Hard to believe I am only 4 months away from my one year anniversary. The doc is very pleased with my progress and so am I. At my one year mark he has agreed to give me a referral to see the plastic surgeon for body contouring. I have a lot of excess skin around my butt and thighs. So I am very excited about that. He is pretty sure the insurance will cover it so double bonus. My goal is to be 140 by 12/28/13 which is my one year mark.

This journey has been so life changing. This summer I wore tank tops, summer dresses, went down a Water slide with my kids and even wore a bathing suit almost all summer! I even wore my first little black dress while in Vegas as you can see from my profile pic.

My food cravings come and go but I find myself craving "refreshing" foods like fruit or fish. Strangest thing. Some of my old habits started to creep back in but I am aware of them so I try to control myself. If I eat sweets, I get a case of dumping syndrome. I start to sweat and feel nauseous so I just stay away from those foods now. I do not drink soda or beer. On occasion I have a piece of toast. I am able to eat a bit more than before. But according to my doctor I need to make sure my portions stay small, eat a little more often if need be as long as I am eating the right foods, but small portions. Otherwise, you can run the risk of stretching your sleeve. I did not come this far to have that kind of a problem. There was a point around 5 months post op when I was dealing with heartburn but I got that under control. I am dealing with Hair loss which is very sad. So even though I am getting my Protein in I am suffering through my loss of hair. :( I am trying a couple of products to see if I can grow it back. I will keep you posted on that. My stomach gurgles a lot. I am so used to it now though. When I am getting full I start to burp a little. I call that my full meter :lol: I still have a tendency to be an emotional eater so I try to stay aware of that. Guess that is just life at this point! :rolleyes:

My activity level is through the roof! I have so much energy, I sleep better, I have more patience and am a lot calmer. This procedure not only saved my life, it gave me a life. :wub:

Only a few people know that I have had the surgery and I personally like to keep it that way. I was given a tool but like any tool it will not work if I don't use it! So I don't want to hear people say I took the "easy way out". I may have to punch them. So I just don't say anything.

I love this board and have missed seeing what the December sleevers are up to.

Take care!

Great seeing the results from us December sleevers. Great job and hope it continues until we reach goal. I was sleeved on 12/27 I had some major complications but Im happy to say that Im 100% over them and Ive losted 80 pounds. I started this journey at 262 pounds and Im now 180 + or - 2 pounds....lol It has been a total life changer for me. My only regret is not having VSG surgery sooner.

Donnie

lost a little over 100lbs. My a1c is almost normal

MsBoo79

congrats :)

great weight loss

are you off diabetes med yet? if not, sure you will be soon - i have been off mine for a bit - great feeling

Hello my fellow December Sleevers!! I was sleeved on 12/19/11 and I have lost 122lbs!!! I feel great about myself now and about life. I have competed in two triathlons and I have another one in September to Celebrate my 36th year birthday. I also have two 5Ks coming up soon. I went from being 296.8lbs to 175 and a tight size 22 to a size 6 or 8. I am hoping to lose another 25lbs and get a Tummy Tuck and a boob reduction. Sorry boys if that is tmi.

This surgery has changed my life is so many different ways. But the most important is the knowledge that the surgery is just a tool. When people ask me how I've lost so much weight, I tell them I exercise a lot, eat well, and oh yeah I had surgery. I am also living a dream I've wanted to do since high school. I always wanted to be in the color guard of the marching band but I was always too self conscious because who wanted to be the fat girl in the tight uniform?? So now I am the instructor of the color guard!! I love it.

Keep up the good work everyone!!!

Hello December Sleevers! (12/5/11)

Wow, it has been a while since I have been on. I am sorry and glad to see the struggles. I am sorry that we are having them...but glad to know it is NOT just ME! LOL! My weight loss has slowed WAYYY down. Last month I lost...drum roll please...2 pounds!! YEP. 2 pounds. I am now bouncing between 164 and 166. A little frustrating seeing as how I planned to be at goal by my surgiversary.

Total weight loss is 85 pounds...really want to break that 100 mile stone. I have also noticed that my restriction in not what it was before (I'm comparing to ..2-3 months po). I can easily eat about 3/4 to 1 cup of food. Now I know that is minimal compared to what I was eating pre-op, but it scares me that I can eat that much...funny head game, huh?

I am also having a tough time catching up to my weight loss. I tried on a small skirt in Target, it fit, but I really didn't register that it was a SMALL...HELLOOOO! I still see my flaws and fat. SMH. This time last year I was squeezing into a 20 and now I am looking at a small like it is not good enough. Am I the only one?

I was sleeved on Dec 28, 2011. Have lost 57 lbs and am about 12 lbs from goal. I have had a successful, but slow weight loss. I had read about all the pros and cons prior to having this surgery, but somehow thought if I did everything "right" I would be the exception to the rule for Hair loss. WRONG!

I have been taking Biotin for for a long time, I started 7 months prior to surgery and have always taken my Vitamins , Calcium supplements and even added Black Currant (suggested by Dr Oz) for the purpose of avoiding hair loss.

I started losing hair around the 5th month post op, it has been three months of constant hair loss and I have since added Biotin Shampoo. I am fortunate that I have a LOT of hair, although fine, so I'm not looking bald, but worry that if this doesn't stop soon I may be.

I have had all my blood work done and I am NOT deficient in anything except thyroid so that is in the process of being remedied too.

My questions are: Will this thinning ever stop? If it does stop, will the hair come back as thick? Will it change the hair type, like which happens to some people after cancer treatments. I am a little worried it will remain thin and if it does, do I cut it short and layered so it looks fuller? When should I expect regrowth? I sincerely get my Protein, vitamins and exercise regularly. I am very thankful for the healthier new me, the compliments are good for my self esteem, but I want to keep my hair too. Am I being selfish?

I would like to know how all the other Dec sleevers are doing.

It is great when somebody revives this thread I too love to hear how everybody is doing! I know you say your weight loss as been slow, but i don't think so - you started out with less to lose so the raw #of pounds loss will be less, but you are very close to goal! Congrats, isn't it just an amazing new life we have???

I have had massive Hair loss too. I was told that Protein is actually the main thing to avoid hair loss. I have been pretty good about protein, and Vitamins too and I have lost at least 1/3 maybe more of my hair volume. My labs have been excellent, absolutly looks on paper like I have ideal levels. Now, in my case all this hair loss has been a good thing, everybody loves my new thinner hair because I had too much hair before.

I am thinking mine started at about 4 months post op (though I don't remember exactly). It slowed way down over the last month or so. I think it is nearly back to the rate of loss I had preop (I shed alot even preop, i had ALOT of hair)

The nutritionalist told me that hair loss is probably unavoidable if you are one of the people that have that reaction to the surgery - if it happens in during the 1st year postop, it is most likely related to the trauma of the surgery. If it continues significantly beyond the one year mark, it is probably nutrient deficiency.

So, I would expect that the rate of loss should be significantly slowing for you soon.

Thought I would share a progress photo - I attached a "before" picture and a current one taken last weekend. Who looks happier?

It is great when somebody revives this thread I too love to hear how everybody is doing! I know you say your weight loss as been slow, but i don't think so - you started out with less to lose so the raw #of pounds loss will be less, but you are very close to goal! Congrats, isn't it just an amazing new life we have???

I have had massive Hair loss too. I was told that Protein is actually the main thing to avoid hair loss. I have been pretty good about protein, and Vitamins too and I have lost at least 1/3 maybe more of my hair volume. My labs have been excellent, absolutly looks on paper like I have ideal levels. Now, in my case all this hair loss has been a good thing, everybody loves my new thinner hair because I had too much hair before.

I am thinking mine started at about 4 months post op (though I don't remember exactly). It slowed way down over the last month or so. I think it is nearly back to the rate of loss I had preop (I shed alot even preop, i had ALOT of hair)

The nutritionalist told me that hair loss is probably unavoidable if you are one of the people that have that reaction to the surgery - if it happens in during the 1st year postop, it is most likely related to the trauma of the surgery. If it continues significantly beyond the one year mark, it is probably nutrient deficiency.

So, I would expect that the rate of loss should be significantly slowing for you soon.

Thought I would share a progress photo - I attached a "before" picture and a current one taken last weekend. Who looks happier?

post-12388-13813659741565_thumb.jpg

post-12388-1381365974273_thumb.jpg

To Happy1957: We were sleeved on the same day! WHOOHOO!

:) I too was suffering from MAJOR Hair loss. I used to take Biotin as well and also tried Nioxin Shampoo. But I was still losing hair in clumps.

I recently started a regimen and the clumps have stopped coming out and it's only been a week. I started eating more Protein, closer to 100 per day. Also, I bought Keranique and Andrew Lessmans Healthy Hair Skin and Nails. This seems to be my winning combination. At the rate I was losing hair I was considering buying a wig. It was pretty frightening!

I am happy to report that this seems to be working for me. Good luck!

Good afternoon: I am almost 9 months out and wanted to post before and after pics. Not sure if I have a goal weight just yet , but would be okay with losing another 30lbs.

post-17993-13813670491898_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using VST

post-11653-13813659892338_thumb.jpg

You look awesome! I am still 40 pounds from goal, but here is my "before" and "current" photos.

Before:

post-55753-13813670492739_thumb.jpg

Current:

post-17584-13813670493804_thumb.jpg

post-12388-13813659892995_thumb.jpg

post-12388-13813659894488_thumb.jpg