Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Experiment with different temperatures. Some people like things really cold. for me, it always has to be room temp- not hot- not cold.

Take a shot glass and drink from that. Try Crystal light or poweraide zero ( you can dilute it if you need to) if you're not drinking much Water. chicken broth seems to soothe the stomach. If you have a blender, you can make an icee by blending ice up with a little juice . You need to experiment, and definitely walk as much as you can. It helps with healing.

If you are nauseous, call your doctor for a prescription.

You won't regret this after you get over these hurdles and you're buying smaller sizes all the time!

Keep checking in here for support and we will all help you through this.

It's still really early since you've had surgery and your body is still going through all kinds of changes and adjustments. Sugarfree popsicles are a great way to get in some liquid. Also, the little measuring cup that comes with some meds like Nyquil, I believe they are an ounce. Try putting a little Water in that - even if you don't fill it up - and every 10-15 minutes sip some water down. Temperature plays a part in the amount of liquid you consume, at least it does for me. Please don't be discouraged. It really does get better.

So many good tips- i'm so glad for this post! I am having surg next week and will make sure I have all of the above on stand by... Nyquil cup, (perhaps some nyquil.. lol) sf popsicles, tea and a shot glass @ my desk for when I go back to work.

I love the ice chip idea.

I appreciate this post too. I'm really struggling and know I'm no where near getting enough Protein in (I'm 5 days out from surgery). It's good to know that even though I can't get it all down now, that doesn't mean I won't eventually be able to.

Hang in there! It will get much better (especially when you start dropping pounds like crazy)! I like different things at different times of day...in the morning I sip room temp Water, but the rest of the day (some say its too sweet but not for me) I drink fruit2o all varieties. I've never been one to be able to drink just plain water...boring, boring, boring...but fruit20 helps me so much. Crystal Light is too sweet but I find the flavor of fruit2o just the right amount of flavor.

Good Morning!

I am 4 days post-op and feel your pain! Some things that have worked for me include sf Popsicles, cozy shack sf rice pudding and eating Protein shakes with a spoon. I still feel sore, and my stomach is so gurgling! I just keep thinking it has to get better. Last night before bed I had a hard time because it took a lot of energy out of me to shower and I hate looking at my incisions!

Hang in there!

I'm hanging with you!!! I'm 3 days post op and just got home last night. Temperature really makes a difference for me as well. I can't drink as much when things are cold and broth seems to be easiest for me. I just now ate a SF Popsicle and didn't seem to have a problem with it. I am worried about dehydration too so I'm trying whatever I can.

I think any one of us on this board could have made this post. Everybody feels pretty crummy the first couple of weeks. It seems like sometime in the third week it hits you,"Oh wow, I feel better, my energy is coming back" This truly is major surgery, it takes time for your body to recover from the anesthesia and from the trauma to your body. Just take everything slow and in little pieces. At first my goal was 4 ounces in an hour. I filled up a 4 ounce glass with room temperature Water and just sipped and sipped and sipped. It was really an effort to finish that tiny glass, that I used to finish in one gulp. I had trouble with anything hot or cold, it had to be room temperature or just a tiny bit warm. sugar-free Jello was a good thing too. I cold only eat about 2 teaspoons full but it wasn't hard to get down. If you aren't on an acid-reducer I would ask your doctor for one. It really seems to help with the queasyness and once the swelling goes down in the stomach it helps with the hungry feeling. Hang in there, it is going to get better day by day. Take a nice slow walk and sip your water and before long you will forget how miserable you were in the beginnng. My wife said to tell you it is like when you have a baby. Once you hold the baby you hardly remember how awful labor was!