Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dumping Syndrome w/ VSG?

Is it possible to get dumping syndrome with the sleeve? I'm 3 weeks in and I had mashed potatos and Cream of Wheat several times over the first couple weeks, and I felt incredibly dizzy, weak, sick and shaky afterward, sort of like a really bad hypoglycemic attack.

Obviously I'll avoid these foods for now, but what gives? Is it from all the carbs?

Yes, it's possible to get dumping without ANY WLS at all. Most everyone has had it at one time or another, it's just not as pronounced without WLS. Most often it happens when gorging yourself on food, a full size stomach will be less apt to force you to vomit but sometimes it does.

My understanding is that raw improperly mixed food / acid is getting dumped into the small intestine and causes the effects you describe, along with sweating, heart palpitations and an unsettled feeling followed by possible vomiting.

I've had it 2 or 3 times, always precipitated by eating too much - and eating too much with a sleeve is like 2 bites too much, not a whole extra turkey leg like before.

It happens, so unless it happens regularly without eating too much I'd just ignore it. When it does happen take a long hard look at what you ate before this and try to avoid those foods or that quantity of foods.

thank you for your reply. how interesting, i thought dumping only happened after the bypass. with the mashed potatoes i'd say it was half a cup or so, cream of wheat about a serving, eaten over half an hour or more...probably too many carbohydrates too early on.

I actually have had issues with dumping pre-op, usually as Rootman explained by over eating. Since then, I've been OK, unless I eat too fast. I seem to get a huge wave of sleepiness as opposed to the chills/sweats/and stomach issues. Just uncontrollable tiredness.

I would also add to check with your surgeon regarding quantities and types of soft foods. For example, I was not allowed any mushies till after week 4! and then it was only foods like yogurt, cottage cheese or a srambled egg. In terms of quantities, only about a tablespoon. I eventually worked my way up to 1 oz of food. It took me a few weeks from there to get to 3 oz or so. Now 5 months out I can eat about 4 to 6 oz, 8 max depending on the food I am eating. So be sure you are not overfilling your pouch on this first phase of mushie foods. Hope you feel better soon and you're able to figure this out!

Is it possible to get dumping syndrome with the sleeve? I'm 3 weeks in and I had mashed potatos and Cream of Wheat several times over the first couple weeks, and I felt incredibly dizzy, weak, sick and shaky afterward, sort of like a really bad hypoglycemic attack.

Obviously I'll avoid these foods for now, but what gives? Is it from all the carbs?

Yes, there are some of us who this does happen to. It could be argued for days whether or not this is actual dumping... but something isn't right when we eat carbs or high sugar foods.

I can eat carbs though if I eat too much I do feel a little bit nauseated. However when I have too much sugar I get really really sick. I really can't eat more than 15g per sitting. That's around one cookie or 1" square of cake... stuff like that. I'm love it! I became extremely addicted to sugar with my Lap-Band so I'm glad this happens to me. It keeps me in check.

Use this to your advantage. All the best to you and your journey!

I would also add to check with your surgeon regarding quantities and types of soft foods. For example, I was not allowed any mushies till after week 4! and then it was only foods like yogurt, cottage cheese or a srambled egg. In terms of quantities, only about a tablespoon. I eventually worked my way up to 1 oz of food. It took me a few weeks from there to get to 3 oz or so. Now 5 months out I can eat about 4 to 6 oz, 8 max depending on the food I am eating. So be sure you are not overfilling your pouch on this first phase of mushie foods. Hope you feel better soon and you're able to figure this out!

They were giving me Cream of Wheat in the hospital and telling me to eat scrambled eggs a week and a half out. I guess every surgeon is different.

I get it--I tried to "lube" some Peanut Butter up because I was having trouble getting it down--so I lubed it with Syrup (one of my fav combinations pre-op) I thought I was dying!!! I have tried syrup a few other times and find I just can't do it!!! I don 't get it with carbs at all--but also had it when I tried to eat a BITE of cake--guess I needed it like miss diva!!!

I was told it is physically impossible to "officially" dump with the sleeve. We can have a bad reaction to certain foods (which I have definitely had) but to dump is impossible (according to Kaiser educators and surgeons).

I have had more than one surgeon tell me yes, you can dump with VSG. If too much of something ( sugar or fat) goes into our blood stream, we dump. Things are not in our stomachs as long because it's so tiny.

I used to have that problem . Again, like lactose intolerance, it seems to be going away. Darn!

huuummmm - very interesting - i also thought it was not possible to dump with a sleeve - maybe, if you have this happening to you - you could try the combo trick that alot of ppl that have touble with sugar use to ward off sugar imbalances - they say they eat sugar things or really carbie things with some Protein so it balances its uptake - i dont know the particulars of it but it seems to help some people -

just a random thought - if anyone with dumping trouble tries this and it helps - pls post it so others can learn from your experience too! :hurray:

Well, I guess it officially depends on what you define "dumping" as. I think like the term "flu" it covers a lot of miladies when used colloquially from gastroenteritis to the actual pulmonary illness of influenza.

I was under the impression that "dumping" is when whole food that has not been rolled and processed in stomach acid exits the stomach too early via the pyloric valve into the small intestines and causes the immediate reaction with the symptoms previously listed. Now I guess this MAY be paired with a reaction to sugars or carbs but not always. And being that all it is is the valve opening and dumping fairly raw food too soon ANYONE can get it. WLS patients are more prone to it, especially bypass patients because of the small size and limited acid in the stomach. Sleevers can have it - especially early on - because of the trauma done to the stomach. Whereas something that might pass as a bit of "tummy upset" with someone with a full stomach we get a case of full blown dumping.

Maybe someone from a doctors office or a bona fide NUT can fill us in.

My surgeon says we can have dumping, but it is not nearly as common as it is with bypass patients. I found out the hard way tonight that sugar triggered my first trouble with this. Carbs doesn't do it to me at all. Sugar won't look so great from now on - I love LilMissDiva's attitude!

Yeah, I wish it still happened to me. I stay away from sugar because it makes me gain weight immediately, but it doesn't make me sick anymore if I do let myself have it.