Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The slimes.... can anyone explain them?

I have heard a couple people say that after certain foods they get the slimes. What exactly are the slimes?

I think I got them today when eating an egg and just wanted to know for sure. For me what happened after the egg was I kept having to clear my throat and spit, and it was as if I was getting over a cold, like mucusy spit.

Yep, welcome to slimehood. This reply might be a bit graphic, so if you are easily nauseated, proceed with caution!

When you eat something that requires a little extra work to digest, your body produces extra secretions that, pre-sleeve, you swallowed without even knowing it--extra saliva, extra mucus to help the food slide down, extra "stuff" that your body uses to digest the food. Now, the volume of your stomach is much smaller and can't always hold both food and secretions--and sometimes that causes a very, very unpleasant situation of either feeling painfully full for half an hour or so to being ill with bubbles of mucus being the first thing to appear. The first time that happened to me I was really surprised! And it was after eating eggs, which I still cannot tolerate in any form (and I have tried, because I LOVE them and used to eat them almost daily). Your body may adjust over time with small exposures; mine hasn't, and I've just sort of given up on eating eggs--small trade-off for the rest of my life, I will say, but I do miss them.

Hope you don't have too many more experiences with the slimes. They are not fun--no permanent problem, of course, but at the time, it's not very pleasant!

I get the "slimes" when I eat hamburger meat. My sleeve just does not like it and it usually comes back up. Sometimes I can eat it, but I do get lots of slimy stuff that kind of sits in my throat. If it comes back up, it is not the same as throwing up. It is literally the food covered in a clear slime. Gross, but true. I will take it though for this great life I now have being healthy!

Thanks! I have definately had the slimes a few times, and I just didn't quite grasp them. I had the exact same slimes things with hamburger meat. It was wierd though because on the 1st night I had no problem, 2nd night eating the leftovers I got the slimes.

It is soooo odd throwing up a big slime ball! Sometimes I sneeze or get a runny nose instead or as well. I have only had the slimes about 5 times and I HATE it and avoid it at all costs. Oddly enough the flat bread from Subway has been the culprit 3 times so I don't eat that anymore. Other than that I can handle anything!

Oh I'm so glad I found this! This is my first week of solids and yesterday I had water-packed tuna and just couldn't eat any more than a few bites because it tasted so awful! I've been spoiled eating really good canned tuna packed in olive oil too long. So today, I tried the oil packed tuna with lemon and after maybe 1/4 cup or even less I started to get this bubbling up feeling. I finally went to the bathroom and knew I needed to throw up but when I did it was just this sort of thick foam - none of the actual food! EEEEWWWWW! This is a first - and hopefully a last!

Given that I ate water-packed tuna yesterday with no problem and the oil-packed foamed up, it's probably the oil, right? I drained most of the oil off and put quite a bit of lemon juice in it!

Oh I'm so glad I found this! This is my first week of solids and yesterday I had water-packed tuna and just couldn't eat any more than a few bites because it tasted so awful! I've been spoiled eating really good canned tuna packed in olive oil too long. So today, I tried the oil packed tuna with lemon and after maybe 1/4 cup or even less I started to get this bubbling up feeling. I finally went to the bathroom and knew I needed to throw up but when I did it was just this sort of thick foam - none of the actual food! EEEEWWWWW! This is a first - and hopefully a last!

Given that I ate water-packed tuna yesterday with no problem and the oil-packed foamed up, it's probably the oil, right? I drained most of the oil off and put quite a bit of lemon juice in it!

for me it is usually the quanity of what I eat, but everyone is different. I only got the slimes once from chicken breast and I eat it all the time and it was no different so I think is just depends on what kind of mood your sleeve is in! I have gotten the slimes 6-7 times total since Aug. so it gets less and less

Thanks for the reply! I really think I only had a tiny bit and less than yesterday. There's no way I even got to 1/4 cup either time. I might have needed to chew a little more but it was pretty soft... I'll just stick to lunch meat! It's hard to get good fresh fish where I live unless you buy a huge slab at Costco...

had this happen to me tonight - it was gross....I couldn't clear my mouth because it was so damn sticky and it was hard to spit it out....I eventually threw up

now its been about a 1/2 hour and I still feel gross!

So is it acidly or just foamy?

it is sticky, clear and very slimy.....very gross

I've had a few episodes of this if I've eaten too much or too fast. It starts with nausea.... you feel like you're going to throw up, but no food comes up, just copious amounts of thick, clear slime. It's very weird.

I had too much stomach acid and had the slimes for 5 days post surgery. Acid lessened=slime gone.

Mine is never slimy or sticky, but just very foamy and frothy. I only get it when I eat too much or when I vomit. I will get an entire mouth full of foam, its more annoying than gross. A friend of mine that has the Lap-Band tells me it is the same thing that happens to her when she eats to much. There doesn't seem to be any foods that trigger mine, just the amount.