Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Life after gallbladder removal

For everyone with their gallbladder removed, either before or after VSG surgery, how is your diet different now? They told me low fat, not more than 5g a fat per serving, but that is VERY hard! They also said no eggs. Thats going to be hard for me. I am eating very low fat for the next 2 weeks, but then want to add in some of the foods I was eating. My surgeon just said to go back to my normal diet after 2 weeks.

I went in to the hospital on Sunday 10/23, in a lot of pain. It started at midnight, and I just tried to ignore it. I couldn't sleep all night. I tried to eat something around 11am, and couldn't, I couldn't even drink, I had extreme nausea. I was so close to throwing up, but never did. It was horrible. I went to the ER around 4pm Sunday and they admitted me. My pain was in the center of my upper abdomen, right under my sternum. I wasn't sure if it was gallbladder since this isn't the typical spot to feel it. They ran blood work and my liver values were very high. My AST and ALT were 500 and 600. I forget the other values, but they said I wasn't going home. My pain was probably coming from my liver. They admitted me that night and did an ultrasound in the morning. Tuesday morning I had my gallbladder removed and I went home that day. I am still somewhat sore, but feel SOOO much better without that gallbladder! I went to the bank Thursday and even out to lunch Friday (had chicken noodle soup). Ive been doing laundry and cleaning, but I am trying to take it easy. I go back to work Monday.

I had been feeling some pains on and off for about 4 months. I wasn't sure if it was my gallbladder because it wasn't typical. I kept asking my VSG BFF, Jes, about her pains, and mine weren't the same. So, its not only important to not compare your weight loss to others, but also when you are having pain or other problems! I think I was in denial too, and I didnt want to have another surgery. The pains would only last about 30 mins and then would be gone. I just blew it off as gas pains.

So, now its back to losing weight! It was just so sureal being back in the OR, a little over a year out. The surgeon that did my VSG, did this surgery as well. I told him this is the last organ he gets! LOL!

For those of you without your gallbladder, please share your experiences! Thanks!!

I had my gallbladder out April of last year... My diet has changed ALOT for the longest time I couldnt eat meat... Id get so sick. now the things Ive learned to avoid are: fatty foods, greasy items, things that are too rich, sugary etc. The things that post op you wont eat anyway :) Im hoping after I have my sleeve done on tuesday the dumping syndrome I have from the gallbladder removal will lessen! I admit though it does feel so much better not having it anymore!

I had mine out at 8 months post-VSG. I had to cut full fat foods too for about 3-5 months, no avocados, no Peanut Butter, no full fat salad dressings, Italian dressing nearly killed me with pain after GB removal. I also had to completely eliminate red Pasta sauce/ketchup/barbque sauce.

I didn't get any GI upset, but I would get the referred shoulder pain after eating those foods that it was unbearable. The shoulder/collarbone pain was my #1 symptom, and it lasted for several months after GB removal.

I had the same exact symptoms you had right down to the pain with eating and drinking. I really thought something was wrong with my sleeve because I didn't have the typical GB symptoms at all. I actually ignored it for over 2 months because I was getting into maintenance, adding more foods, more calories, more fat, and just thought it was food issues. I had some vomiting/diarrhea with some super fatty, heavy creamy foods, like super rich lobster bisque over scallops one night, and then a heavy, heavy alfredo sauce, and goat cheese. So, I really thought it was just new food upsetting my body. Then, when the pain got so severe where I couldn't drink more than about 14oz over a 24 hour period, my husband took me to the ER. It was misdiagnosed as a UTI, and the stupid ER doc refused to do an abdominal U/S, stuck me on antibiotics, gave me fluids and sent me home. I went to my surgeon the next day, GB u/s showed 3/4 full of stones and full of sludge, and I had to wait 4 days to get surgery. I was a bland soup/cracker/yogurt diet with the antibiotics for those days to allow the inflammation to decrease, and the infection to go to before surgery.

I did not cut fat that low because I just couldn't, but finding trigger foods wasn't difficult after GB removal. I'd take a few bites, and the pain would start so I eliminated that food for a couple of months, and then tried again.

I haven't had any issues going back to eating full fat, and all the stuff that bothered me initially after surgery.

Wow, Sarah!!! Sorry you had to endure the GB pain so long. I had mine out about 13 years ago and the pain while passing a stone is the WORST pain ever. Nothing helps. I was so happy to see my GB go! At the time I had lost close to 80lbs doing a liquid diet called Medifast...and then lost my GB after I had been in maintenance for about 6 months. For me I didn't have to change much of what I ate, but back then I still had the 'normal' stomach anatomy.

I can honestly say for me life before losing my GB and after were the same, I didn't have any food intolerances at all.

Hugs, rest up and heal...hopefully the kiddos will be good to you come Mon!

Hi. Interesting question and answers. I had mine out several years ago before weight loss. I had my first attack after eating some high fat spicy food but didmt connect the two. Thought I had food poisoning and went to nurse practitioner at work and got antinausea med. Ate bland food for a week and then at something high in fat and had another attack. This time I thought omg do I have stomach cancer? Went to doctor and the upshot was thst I had a few gallstones. Surgeon wanted to operate right away (Bad time as only 3 weeks of school left) and since one of the stones right at entrance ready to move into duct decided to go ahead with it. I had a great surgeon. I don't remember any restrictions except roght after the surgery low fact and nonspicy but o couldn't hsve eaten otherwise anyway. Today I can theoretically EST anything although I eat low fat of course. Sometimes spicy food bothers me But usually ok. One exception cabbage which I love. Have to go easy on that.

I had mine out a little over a week ago at almost 3 months out from VSG! I am struggling! I feel great. Went back to work on postoperative day 3, but I can't eat anything without hurting! I am all of the sudden having a hard time getting Protein and liquids! Needless to say my stall is broken but my hair was falling out slowly and just yesterday clumps started falling out! I haven't found anything I can eat without hurting! Ugh!!!!!

I had mine out over 20 years ago. They didn't give me any dietary guidelines at all and I've always been able to eat anything I wanted.

I remember my (then) Father-in-Law talking about how I wouldn't be able to eat this and that, but my very first meal home from the hospital was a big polish sausage with saurkraut, onions and spicy brown mustard.

I had my gallbladder out 5 years before having hte sleeve done. I had no dietary guidelines to follow post op and was able to eat anything and everything that I couldn't eat with that awful gallbladder in.

I had emergency GB removal 24 years ago, so I have a very nasty 8 inch scar on my stomach. I was worried that it would prohibit me from getting sleeved but when I met with the surgeon this month she said no problem. After my GB surgery I could eat anything and everything which is how I got here today. The only problem I had for the first few years was that if my stomach became really empty for any length of time I would get queezy and then end up with dumping as soon as I ate something. Thank goodness that passed after a while. I don't miss that GB at all.

I had my gallbladder out in August of '09. more than a year before my VSG. For the first 6 months or so, I was extremely lactose intolerant. That issue had mostly resolved itself now, though I still have to go light on dairy and never any more than low-fat (non-fat is best). The worst issue that I've had is that I developed some food allergies since the removal. I'm allergic to bananas, oats, eggs, chicken (who has ever heard of that?? lol), chocolate, corn...just to name a few. None of these allergies existed pre-op, and even though my surgeon says they aren't related, I have my doubts. Just do what feels right for you

OH NO!! im having my gallbladder removed this Friday! Hope i don't have any post op problems. Ive had a really good post op VSG experience, with no food problems what so ever, so i will be very bummed if i become sick with eggs, and chicken ( stuff i LOVE right now ) :(