Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May be losing my band....kinked tube maybe?

Greetings from Ireland again - Well, I guess I'm about due for band issues - I will be three years banded in October - I have a 11cc Inamed band, with a 9cc fill capability - it was filled with 3cc during surgery, and I had one (my first!) fill last year - february 2005 - I had my surgery in Paris, France - and now see a surgeon in England for my post-op care, adjustments etc as the language difference was getting to be a problem.... Anyway, I got my first fill - up to 6cc in Feb 2005 - and everything was going sort of ok - I have lost 92lbs, and then started to put weight back on a little - I have gone up ten pounds as I have been suffering from depression - I got over that crappy 8 months, and decided to go for another fill to re-motivate me and get me back losing - I had purposly left my restriction low for this reason.

I went for a fill yesterday to my surgeon in the UK - he also does gastric bypass, and thinks this is a vastly superior surgery for weight loss - his first question to me was "Do you really think the band works? BE HONEST!" :). He does the fills blind, so I lay on the couch thingy and he tried to aspirate my band to see how much of the 6cc he can get out - well, he got out NOTHING :P - I was thinking - "oh no, I have a leak" - then he had the idea of putting in 1cc and then trying to remove that - he put it in, but again could get nothing out...

So basically he thinks, I coud have a leak ( a big one ) or my tubing is kinked, where saline can go in, but not be removed - we couldn't stay any longer with him as we had flights booked to go home - I am to go get a barium swallow/fluoroscopy deal done and email him the images - how this will show us what the problem with the tubes beats me but that's what he wants. I asked what does he really feel is the issue? He answered (he's Belgian, so add an accent!) "deep in my heart I feel the band is trouble - get it out"

:faint:

Anyone have any ideas? I'd be so grateful :success1:

PS - I have been on liquids since I had the "maybe" fill yesterday - In case it is a kinked tube, and not a leak, I may have increased restriction after the 1cc he put in to test the tube - I have only been drinking water/tea and yogurt but I'm pretty sure I have increased restriction - so doesn't that mean I haven't slipped or eroded? and does it mean I don't need to have my band removed immediately????? (please say yes!)

Hi Bright! Nice to hear from you!

First of all, there is no reason to think you have anything wrong with your band, right? You have no symptoms, reflux, vomiting, anything beyond the usual restriction? Even if you did have a kink or leak in the tubing, which is not a certainty at all, that is by no means an emergent situation. Don't panic!! My goodness, girl, what gave you the idea the band might have to come out just because there may be a kink in the tube?

Relax. Wait and see how this fill worked for you. All may be just fine! It seems common that two and three years out people discover that they can eat more, more easily, and a few pounds might come back on even if there has been no change in fill level. I attribute that to the nerves adjusting over time and some resulting loss of sensation in the stomach/esophagus. In other words, it's nothing to worry about unless you're having symptoms that concern you.

Just because this doctor has a bias doesn't mean anything has changed inside you. Wait and see how you feel. Good luck and please come back and let us know how you're doing!!

Before making ANY decisions, I would take your x-rays to the original surgeon who put the band in and discuss your status with him. It sounds like the MD you saw wants to take your band out so he can talk you into bypass.

I second elizabeth! you need to find a new doc. This one sounds like he just wants to get your band out!

I agree with everyone so far! And I'm the leak QUEEN!

I don't like this dr. Sorry, but I don't.

When I went in for my fill the Dr couldn't get anything out. He thought it might be a port leak but said the only way to tell was under fluro. So 3 weeks later I went for fluro. It was there that he could see the leak not only in my port but also in the band. Be sure you have a tech do the fluro that know the band and exactly what to look for.

I was afraid that for some reason my band would have to come out. My dr told me that there was no reason for concern for that. Band leaks are VERY uncommon I tink there are only 2 other people on here that have had the band leak. Port leaks are more common, but still not very common.

Try not to worry to much. Just be sure you have an experienced fluro tech like I said, and I agree with who ever said it, that you should send results and talk to the Dr who put the band in.

I was only 5 months out when I had my second surgery. I still wasn't totally healed from the first, so it was no picnic for me. But you are a lot further out so you should do great.

If I had to have the whole band replaced for a 2nd time, I would do it in a heart beat.

Hang in there and please let me know how your doing.

Bright, I am so sorry for your latest "adventure" with the band. What a bummer! Not knowing what is wrong....I agree with the others. Have your original surgeon check you out, if you can muddle through the language problems. Or get another second opinion, from a surgeon that has no problem with lapbands. I'd imagine a scope should tell you the position of the band and tubing!

I wish you well. Shawn

Hi Bright!

I dont see an *EMERGENCY* situation here... - one that requires immediate action. How many times have you visited this Dr.?

Im wondering WHY he's telling you to get the band out due to a possible kinked tube??? thats odd.

Im with Elizabeth in contacting your original surgeon and getting feedback from him.

Id be just as scared... ((hugs))

btw: we missed you!

Many tubes/ports have been replaced EVEN if you did have a kinked tubing. There is no reason to remove your band if you don't have a severe prolapse or erosion. Go in caution..

Always good to hear from you, Bright. I hope you're feeling better regarding your depression. :)

Bright,

The attitude of the surgeon you're seeing in England is THE reason why I continued my search for a different surgeon. I'm not banded yet. I'm in the process of getting letters, tests, etc. The first surgeon I talked with told me, without hesitation, that he felt I'd be happier with the RNY. He believed I would be disappointed in the lap band and that he had a patient who lost 180 lbs. (!) with the lapband, but regretted not getting the bypass.

Needless to say, I was really questioning my decision. After hearing back from some of the people on this forum, and doing further research, I decided to stick with my original decision to get the lapband. This is a big decision, and I want the doctor I choose to support my efforts 100%, not cause me to second guess myself. Do yourself a favor and talk to another surgeon, one who is not biased against the band. You want an objective opinion, not a biased one.

Regards,

Debi

hi

After having had all the issues I've had with the band I still wouldnt let anyone touch it unless I am very certain it cannot stay in any longer....

Please go see another surgeon.....get on the WLSInfo Forum and find someone near you......

If you feel more restriction, you have more restriction.....

Good luck.....(There might be nothing wrong at all,try not to worry to much...)

thanks so much for the replies...

I know the surgeon's comments are controversial, and while his attitude pisses me off when I'm in a vulnerable state (- i.e. lying on my back with a 6 inch needle sticking out of my port), he doesn't bother me too much as I researched long and hard before making my decision to have a lapband - I had given up the gastric bypass route long before I even knew about the band. Also, he is very european, very candid, and will always tell me the truth, - I am 36 years old - i rely on my husband for emotional support and my brain for complex decision not my doctor! So he can just bleep off with his opinions - I really just deal in actual facts!

Which are: he (doc) put the aspiration issue down to (a) a leak (:) a kinked tube (of which he has only seen one before!) © tube and port are disconnected. He wants me to have a barium swallow thingy done her and send him the films for analysis....in case of erosion/slip (which as Alex pointed out, I don't have any symptoms of).

I read all of Vera's old posts about her kinky port and she eventually had to have her band replaced - most tube/leak issues seem to be eventually resolved with rebanding so this is why I am worried I will lose my band - maybe not this week but eventually. I am really concerned about leaks which equals opening which equals often infection - I am pretty worried about any emergency care this may lead to as there are NO BAND DOCTORS in Ireland at all -

Also the cost of all of this is an issue - I was self-pay originally - the fills cost about $185 plus plane fare/car hire etc - band surgery in the UK costs about $15,000-$18,000 so I can't afford to do it again right now!

Going back to my original surgeon isn't really an option - I don't know how he can help more - he has hardly any english, and my french is'nt fantastic - I found it pretty difficult to go through surgery over there where none of the nurses understood me etc - I would hate to have to go through any procedure there again...

I am really wondering if I can just pretend none of this happened, and go on as I was with a kinked tube....? How do they even find out if I have a kinked tube by the way? Does the tube need to be injected with a liquid that will show up on the x-ray? The doc didn't suggest doing that....???

Thanks again to everyone who replied

Hugs to old buddies Alex, Leatha & Paula - so good to talk again!

Leatha: think the depression thing is ok for now - am waiting to see a counciller person - building up the courage!!! thanks xx

Sorry this is so long by the way :)

I am really wondering if I can just pretend none of this happened, and go on as I was with a kinked tube....? How do they even find out if I have a kinked tube by the way? Does the tube need to be injected with a liquid that will show up on the x-ray? The doc didn't suggest doing that....???

Bright, it is INDEED possible to go on pretending none of this has happened. Nothing actually did happen, after all! You're fine, your band is fine, and kink or not you can definitely keep it in as long as you're feeling good.

As always, just be alert for any unusual symptoms. Some doctor's bias against banding shouldn't make you worry about something that's not there. Pretend you never had the conversation with him! A kinked tube would only make itself felt in that it would make fills difficult. If you aren't overly concerned about that right now, just move along! :biggrin1:

And hugs right back atcha, cutie. I hope things continue to look up for you. :hug:

Hi Bright! It's so good to see you! It sure doesn't sound like that big a deal to me but I'm no doctor. What I think I would do in your place? Get the flouroscopy and if everything looks ok? Then you can pretend nothing happened and move on with your life. And, ahem...but what the hell kind of question is "do you really think the band works?" from your doctor- haven't you lost 92 pounds? Of course it doesn't work like the bypass...but YES it does work just fine, thank you very much doc.

Just my 2 cents!

Megan

Thanks Megan - so good to "see" you! You look gorgeous in your avatar! Wow!

I feel now like I have been over-dramatic about my "band issue" but it felt pretty scary when the doc was fiddling around with the needles and stuff, and pretty alarming when he couldn't get any Fluid out - it means to me that there is something wrong with my band. Something that will need surgery to fix - to make the band "work" completely normally. This means surgery in another country for me. And it means a lot of money. Again. All because I ate too much and got really fat. I know there's all more to it than that but I guess, that's the deep-down-truth for me. I didn't realise it until yesterday.

I'm a depressive neurotic anti-social freak at the end of the day!

thanks guys - I'll see how it all figures out.