Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had VSG 8 days ago and am REALLY TIRED! I was going to take one week off from work, but extended it to two. I'm worried about having the energy to teach high school science again starting next Monday.

I seem to alternate days when I can go out and do something, like grocery shopping for my family, and then collapsing the next day. Today was a collapse day. I don't seem to have a lot of tolerance for extra stress, either. The Assistant Principle from my son's school called to tell me that my son had been "zapped" for not doing his homework the night that he came to visit me in the hospital. I had a meltdown. Had to pass the phone to a neighbor who was visiting because I was sobbing.

I'm on track losing weight and really happy about it. I just wish that I had some energy!

I'm drinking three Protein shakes/day and will start Vitamins next week.

With rapid weight loss comes potential rapid problems. Are you walking for at least 30 minutes to get some exercise and energy in? Don't just drink Protein Shakes, you should only have one. Get in some broth, apple sauce whatever else doctor allows you to have. Start your Vitamins, you may not be getting enough Iron and minerals that are needed which may be partial cause of you being tired.

My doctor said this surgery was like hitting the "control, alt, delete" button on your body. When I read posts that people went back to work after a week, I can't believe it. There is NO WAY I could have done that. I took 4 weeks off. I could have gone back after 3 but I had the time taken off already.

Take the time if you can and let your body heal and get used to your new, small stomach. Be sure to get your liquids and Protein in.

Finally, congrats on the start of your journey.

My nutrionist told me without the Protein and Vitamins, that I would feel exhausted. I went without my vitamins 1 days and the next day, I thought I would pass out. It took me a couple days to get myself together and feeling good again. Start your vitamins!!

I can relate to being tired the first few weeks; I am at 4.5 weeks out right now and have just stopped taking naps once or twice per day. The huge decrease in calories for most of us is a big deal in loss of energy, especially as we have burned through our glycogen stores in the first week post surgery. Get your 60 grams of Protein in and make time for the exercise, even if it is just a walk.

By the way, my surgeon put me off of work for eight weeks. He says that the time necessary to retrain your body/mind to adapt to the way you need to eat after weight loss surgery is a must. I thought about asking to go back at 6 weeks, but I think that for once I am going to listen to my doctor and my body and take the time off. Thank goodness for California having disability insurance is all I can say.

Don't worry, your energy will return. Your procedure was less than 2 weeks ago and your body is probably still in "what in the world just happened" mode. I promise...it'll get better.

Each doctor gives a separate set of instruction. My surgeon tol dme to take Vitamins as soon as I got home - which was 1 day after surgery. Also, when I am my most tired I seems to give up a pound or two. It's a little too early for you to seek Protein from other sources. Definitely stay hydrated and drink all 3 of your shakes each day.

All the best,

Niki

First of all remember you had major surgery, just because it was done laparoscopic does not take that fact away. Also anesthesia takes it's toll. I am a surgery nurse and I always tell my post op friends to be careful, because you will be taking naps for about 2-3 weeks and all of a sudden you feel great and then do too much. Yes, take you Vitamins, yest get your Protein. Once the protein is in have some warm broth, that feels great. Try to be up as much as possible..but in the long run you just have to give this a little time.

Don't worry about the fatigue. I too had a horrible, bone deep fatigue that hounded me for almost 6 weeks. I only took 12 days off work, and I DRUG myself to work for weeks before I felt good. I am a Labor and Delivery nurse, and work 12 hour shifts, and thought I would die before I started to feel better. But the fatigue DOES go away eventually. Hang in there, drink your Water, get your Protein and take your Vitamins. It helps, and the fatigue WILL go away! Thinking good thought for you!

Kathy D 49