Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

100lbs lost & now pregnant!

Well, I finally got to my 100lb weight loss with 35lbs left to go and now I just found out that I am pregnant! I guess the sleeve really DOES help with PCOS! WOw! While I am VERY happy, I'm just not sure how to deal with it nutritionally . How many calories should I be eating now? Will the baby get enough nutrition? (I'm sure it will take what it needs from me of course but still)

I am not a new mother, I have an 18yr old son,18yr old step daughter, and 11 year old daughter.But I am somewhat rusty since it's been so long! And of course I didn't have a sleeve with all the other kids.

I am 7 months out from sleeve surgery..lost 95lbs the first 5.5 months,then gave my body sort of a "break" for a couple months. Now pregnant. I still have 35lbs to lose to get to my goal weight of 130lbs, but obviously will have to give up on that now.

Has anyone else gone through this? Will I still lose the weight after the baby? (Even though I will more than likely now GAIN 30LBS). Was it

devastating to watch to scale go UP instead of down? Did you get enough nutrition? Did you need extra Vitamins of any sort? Was the baby weight harder to lose than normal? easier?Of course I will look on the pregnancy forum but just wanted to share some good news and ask for advice. So many questions! In know! haha But I am stoked and thrilled that losing this weight gave me the chance to be a mom one more time in my life. :-) Thanks Dr.Kelly (and God of course!)

Well, I finally got to my 100lb weight loss with 35lbs left to go and now I just found out that I am pregnant! I guess the sleeve really DOES help with PCOS! WOw! While I am VERY happy, I'm just not sure how to deal with it nutritionally . How many calories should I be eating now? Will the baby get enough nutrition? (I'm sure it will take what it needs from me of course but still)

I am not a new mother, I have an 18yr old son,18yr old step daughter, and 11 year old daughter.But I am somewhat rusty since it's been so long! And of course I didn't have a sleeve with all the other kids.

I am 7 months out from sleeve surgery..lost 95lbs the first 5.5 months,then gave my body sort of a "break" for a couple months. Now pregnant. I still have 35lbs to lose to get to my goal weight of 130lbs, but obviously will have to give up on that now.

Has anyone else gone through this? Will I still lose the weight after the baby? (Even though I will more than likely now GAIN 30LBS). Was it

devastating to watch to scale go UP instead of down? Did you get enough nutrition? Did you need extra Vitamins of any sort? Was the baby weight harder to lose than normal? easier?Of course I will look on the pregnancy forum but just wanted to share some good news and ask for advice. So many questions! In know! haha But I am stoked and thrilled that losing this weight gave me the chance to be a mom one more time in my life. :-) Thanks Dr.Kelly (and God of course!)

By the way, I am only about 3 weeks pregnant and probably due around beginning of july 2012.

Wow, congrats!!! It sounds like you are happy but maybe in shock? lol I know you have a lot of questions, and I am sure your questions will be answered by those experienced with pregnancy and the Sleeve. I just wanted to congratulate you and wish you well.

:)

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I'm only 2 months out and not preggers so I can't answer any questions. I'm hoping to be in your current situation next year so ... I'll take notes from you. lol

Congratulations!!! The baby will get what it needs from you. You have to worry that you are getting enough nutrition. I think you need to start getting a min amount of calories and make sure you are OUT of ketosis. Check Tiffykins posted info. She has given information along the way with her pregnancy that could give you nutritional ideas.

Congratulations! All that hard work paid off and now you get to enjoy all that energy with a newborn. Way to go! Have a healthy and happy pregnancy.

Congratulations!

Congrats x 2!

Hi there, and congrats.

The key to nutrition post any weight loss surgery is taking care of your body. The baby will take from your body what it needs.

Your doctor will give you a calorie range with carbs and Protein numbers that you need to shoot for each day. If you have 35lbs to lose, you might not gain much at all until the end. Most WLS patients who get pregnant before goal typically do not gain weight, and continue to lose for the first couple of trimesters. So, don't be alarmed, and Celebrate not gaining weight in pregnancy.

I'm 6 days away from delivery of our daughter. My starting pregnancy weight was 130lbs, with a normal BMI, and I've gained 35lbs which is perfectly in the normal weight gain range for my pre-pregnancy body weight.

No extra Vitamins are needed. You'll just to make sure you continue with a good pre-natal, keep you B12 and folate numbers good, and do not slack on vitamins.You'll need a sublingual B12 since our bodies do not absorb b12 properly. I was prescribed to take in 1700-1800 calories per day, a minimum of 100gr of Protein and a minimum of 100gr of carbs. You can not get into ketosis so no low carbing it. Ketotsis causes fetal brain damage. The recommendation for most pregnancy caloric intake is a simple addition of 200-400 calories over the normal daily intake. Water intake is vital, and I've had to really work on that one.

I struggled immensely with weight gain for the first 2 trimester even though the bulk of my gain has occurred in the last trimester. It's a mind twist losing all of my weight and growing out of my clothing. I don't care what anyone says, pregnancy weight or not, it's a real fear, and it's very difficult to manage. I don't care if people say it's "baby weight, it's normal, you'll lose it" I lost 145lbs and regain is scary. I've let go of the weight gain issues because I'm just so done being pregnant at this point. VSG has not complicated my pregnancy in any form. I did not have morning sickness or any nausea. If you have lost your hunger, do not be alarmed by the insane, and absurd cravings. I had them and I gave in. Also, if you have worked out, continue to do so at a decreased level as it will help with the fatigue and other pregnancy issues. I am not an exercise person nor did I work out, so I never did it in pregnancy.

And, yes you can lose weight after the baby is born. I plan on going right back to low carb as soon as I deliver to drop the weight as fast as possible. I lose exceptionally fast when I low carb so that's the plan. I have gained mostly in my abdomen, and my hips are a bit bigger. I still wear a size 6/8 in maternity pants, small and medium tops, and wore my own tank tops through the entire pregnancy. I really am all belly.

I've updated throughout my entire pregnancy in the pregnancy after VSG and in the success stories forums if you'd like to peruse those topics where I have shared the good, bad and ugly.

Best wishes!