Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Prior to my sleeve surgery one wk ago (10/17) I used a CPAP every night successfully for about six weeks. Prior to surgery, the CPAP allowed me to get great sleep again. However, since the surgery, it feels like the machine is forcing tons of air into me which causes very painful gas sensation in my chest / gut. So, I have stopped using the machine. Hubby tells me I am snoring again without the machine so I wonder if I should bother with having the machine recalibrated to blow less air or just blow it off (no pun intended) since with major weight loss, most people can stop using the machine anyway. Thoughts or experiences with this? Thanks.

I was having a great deal of problems with mine after I started losing weight. I was swallowing tons of air and having very uncomfortable air in my stomach as well. I looked up how to turn down the pressure online and adjusted it myself. I finally got to a point where I couldn't use it anymore and the pressure was pretty low. I intend to have another sleep study done to confirm but I don't feel like I need the machine anymore and am not snoring and sleeping pretty well.

You probably should have it adjusted down some but I would encourage using it once it is adjusted until you cannot use it any more.

I felt like I was being blown up like a bullfrog by my machine after surgery. It was set to 14.5 and I knew that was too high. Since I have central sleep apnea as well as obstructive, I can't ever say goodbye to my machine. My prescription was still good so I self paid for an APAP machine. I have no idea what the pressures are going to at night but I breathe so much better. Can't say I sleep better, since my insomnia has gotten worse after surgery, but I don't have to belch like a sailor once I sit up in bed. It was cheaper than another sleep study since I haven't had insurance for five years. (It cost me over $1,000 WITH insurance to have one done!) My new machine was about $700 but I got a bunch of bells and whistles with it since I knew I would be keeping it long term.

Linda

I work for a DME company that deals exclusively with CPAP/BIPAPs. You should contact your prescribing physician and update him on your case. He/she are the only people truly qualified to determine if your settings should be changed or not. Does your machine have a ramp feature? This may help you fall asleep before the pressure builds up all the way. In most cases of weight loss the machine does need adjustment and in most cases is eventually no longer necessary. But it is imperative that you keep your doctor informed with what is going on.

But it is imperative that you keep your doctor informed with what is going on.

Yep. My "Cpap doc", (that is also a pulmonologist), told me the same thing today. Since you are still snoring, I would not stop using it. Call your doc and see what he/she recommends. Mine might not even be cured after weight loss, so I will have another sleep study done.

Yes, get checked and possibly have a new sleep study. I did and the CPAP is getting returned, the sleep apnea is gone. Just because you snore doesn't mean you still have sleep apnea requiring the machine. Are you waking up with the tell tale soaked pillow?

Right after the surgery I could not take the machine it was so high pressured it hurt so I quit using it and got a new study.

I was just going to post a question regarding sleep apnea... maybe you all might know... I had my surgery 7/5 and couldn't use my cpap for quite a while, but seemed to be doing fine without it, but recently, about the last two weeks, I've been waking up with severe headaches and my hubby said I was snoring... louder than he's ever heard me, so I was wondering how common it was to have a relaps with sleep apnea? My pressure is pretty low, only 9. I started using my cpap again a couple nights ago and I have stopped snoring again, but I'm bummed to have to use the cpap again.

Anybody know about this?

Thanks.

I was just going to post a question regarding sleep apnea... maybe you all might know... I had my surgery 7/5 and couldn't use my cpap for quite a while, but seemed to be doing fine without it, but recently, about the last two weeks, I've been waking up with severe headaches and my hubby said I was snoring... louder than he's ever heard me, so I was wondering how common it was to have a relaps with sleep apnea? My pressure is pretty low, only 9. I started using my cpap again a couple nights ago and I have stopped snoring again, but I'm bummed to have to use the cpap again.

Anybody know about this?

Thanks.

I had the same situation. I stopped using it after surgery and did not start again until my husband began complaining that I was snoring. Most people, about 90%, per my surgeon and pulmonologist, will lose their sleep apnea all together, some pretty quickly after surgery, some not til goal. That other 10%, like me, will continue to have it even after the excess weight is gone. snoring again doesnt mean you will end up like me but I would suggest continuing to use your CPAP until another sleep study is preformed.