Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Have A Leak In My Gastric Sleeve!

I had left shoulder pain that was terrible, I also had the left side pain off and on. No temp for me at all until I ended up with pneumonia.

Sorry to hear all this stories, but I need to know where did you have the pain?

I'm NPO and I've been on my feeding tube (J-tube, in my intestine) since November 7th so just over a month. I hope it heals in the next few weeks!! Can I put that on my Christmas list?!

From the date of my surgery to having my picc line removed it was 8 weeks. I was on clear liquids for 2wks after that MeMeMeee

I had left shoulder pain that was terrible, I also had the left side pain off and on. No temp for me at all until I ended up with pneumonia.

I'm NPO and I've been on my feeding tube (J-tube, in my intestine) since November 7th so just over a month. I hope it heals in the next few weeks!! Can I put that on my Christmas list?!

Sure you can put it on your list. I would. I will put it on mine too. I will be thinking of you.

Yikes lady! You have really been through it! Hope this is the last problem you EVER have. You will still think it is so worth it after you feel better and get back to a normal life. Have you read Tiffikins early posts? She had may problems like you, and ended up having a ton of success and has been an inspiration to many!

Yes Tiffany has been very helpful to me through this. I can say at this point it is hard to think it will be worth it - I was never sick before this, now I will have a higher risk of pneumonia and lung problems for the rest of my life - that is so not cool and that would be the biggest "what have I done to myself" as of now. If I did this with Weight Watchers I wouldn't have had these problems. It's hard to see the bright side right now. Maybe some day I can come back to this thread and say different.

Yikes lady! You have really been through it! Hope this is the last problem you EVER have. You will still think it is so worth it after you feel better and get back to a normal life. Have you read Tiffikins early posts? She had may problems like you, and ended up having a ton of success and has been an inspiration to many!

Yes Tiffany has been very helpful to me through this. I can say at this point it is hard to think it will be worth it - I was never sick before this, now I will have a higher risk of pneumonia and lung problems for the rest of my life - that is so not cool and that would be the biggest "what have I done to myself" as of now. If I did this with Weight Watchers I wouldn't have had these problems. It's hard to see the bright side right now. Maybe some day I can come back to this thread and say different.

thanks for sharing your story.

get well! hope you get everything you dream of. you surely deserve it. smile.png

MeMeMEEEE: I feel your pain. I am SEVEN months out and am still fighting a lingering leak. Was on TPN's with antibiotics and nourishment early on. Then they let me have food to boost my nutrition. (Doctors think it's taking so long because my infections were so severe -- I was septic when I was admitted to hospital.) Have been admitted four times, longest stay was two weeks. Have stents that tend to migrate. What happens is they do a CT or other type of scan -- it shows no leaks, then they take out the stents and do another study -- and there's a leak that's hidden by the stents in the earlier images.

Am now on feeding tube -- Osmosolite just like you. But it's not enough calories -- Dr. working on changing type I use. And they say that we need the calories to

I was able to eat a little with it early on -- now they have me on nothing by mouth. Impossible! I'm not about to get dehydrated or pass out because I have too little nutrition. (Not that I am really eating -- following Dr.'s orders as best I can.)

There's no way around it -- leaks suck. I have a feeding tube, ostomy bags for drains because JP drains kept coming out and a PICC line. I'm just praying this last round of stents and feeds will do the trick.

Finally had good news from my "exterminator" (hysterical) Friday -- my blood counts are close enough to normal that I'll only have one more week of anti-biotics through the PICC line.

This has truly been the biggest challenge of my life and I pray some good will come of it.

Best of luck to you in your recovery.

So sorry about what you ladies have been thru, I pray that you get better!!!! I should not have come to this post, due to Monday being my surgery date...ugh

Oh my gosh! How long have you been dealing with the leak? My feeding tube is up to 85-100 ml an hour which I am able to do 5-6 cans a day which gets me the calories I need - Osmolite 1.0. I have to bolus Water 20-30 ounces a day also. I am afraid my leak will heal slow too since I have been so sick with the pneumonia and Fluid on my lungs. Apparently I was septic when I went in with the pneumonia also but very early in it. One of these days I am going to get copies of my admit and discharge reports so I can know what was going on. Seems like you have to pull teeth while in the hospital to find out what the DX is. My sister in law heard the septic thing so I asked and they said yes. When I had Fluid around my lungs I thought it was my pneumonia until someone said pleural effusion. I have had a picc line 2 times in the hospital but they take it out when I leave - seriously wish they would leave it in because I can't deal with IVs. To the point of crying.

MeMeMEEEE: I feel your pain. I am SEVEN months out and am still fighting a lingering leak. Was on TPN's with antibiotics and nourishment early on. Then they let me have food to boost my nutrition. (Doctors think it's taking so long because my infections were so severe -- I was septic when I was admitted to hospital.) Have been admitted four times, longest stay was two weeks. Have stents that tend to migrate. What happens is they do a CT or other type of scan -- it shows no leaks, then they take out the stents and do another study -- and there's a leak that's hidden by the stents in the earlier images.

Am now on feeding tube -- Osmosolite just like you. But it's not enough calories -- Dr. working on changing type I use. And they say that we need the calories to

I was able to eat a little with it early on -- now they have me on nothing by mouth. Impossible! I'm not about to get dehydrated or pass out because I have too little nutrition. (Not that I am really eating -- following Dr.'s orders as best I can.)

There's no way around it -- leaks suck. I have a feeding tube, ostomy bags for drains because JP drains kept coming out and a PICC line. I'm just praying this last round of stents and feeds will do the trick.

Finally had good news from my "exterminator" (hysterical) Friday -- my blood counts are close enough to normal that I'll only have one more week of anti-biotics through the PICC line.

This has truly been the biggest challenge of my life and I pray some good will come of it.

Best of luck to you in your recovery.

Wow! Three people in this thread have a leak?!

I am so sorry all of you are going through this. I wish this was not a complication anyone had to go through.

I hope you are feeling better and completely healed very soon!

Whoa! I don't usually read this subforum. What a time you three have had! So sorry for your struggles and hope you progress quickly at this point with no more problems. Yes Tiffykins had a time of it, too, and has done so well, so hopefully you all will follow in her footsteps. It is probably hard to see past this moment right now though. Best wishes.

As more and more folks get the sleeve, and discover this website, I'm sure more people with complications will show up too. Thank you all for sharing, its statistically part of this surgery option. Thankfully, not many have this problem, and of the few who do, things get better with time and treatment. Hopefully you all are over the worst part of this surgery.

I've always been astounded that even those who had complications all say they would still have gone through with the surgery. That speaks volumes to me about the effectiveness of this surgery. I do hope those who have leaks will heal quickly and enjoy the rest of their journeys to thin!

I've always been astounded that even those who had complications all say they would still have gone through with the surgery. That speaks volumes to me about the effectiveness of this surgery. I do hope those who have leaks will heal quickly and enjoy the rest of their journeys to thin!

If I had it to do over again..... NO, I would not do the surgery over. I am glad for the weightloss, but it was truely a horrible experience. I think my chemo, bi-lateral mastectomy, and reconstruction was less painful. I know everyone is different, but I wouldn't do it again. Yes the effectiveness of the surgery is wonderful and I love my sleeve. If I hadn't had 2 different insurance companies that payed most of my bills, I would have been out about 60K too. I can say.....my journey to thin was very interesting to say the least.