Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone tried juicing during the full liquid stage after being sleeved?

I have had a juicer for years, but have only used it a couple time. I was wondering has anyone tried juicing when they were on their full liquid stage after being sleeved? If so how did your sleeve tolerate it? I was thinking it would be a great way to get extra Vitamins and minerals as well as liquids. I was also wondering if anyon has tried super reds or super greens and how you tolerated it after the sleeve. Your comments will be appreciated. Thanks.

I have juiced during liquids and have tolerated it great. I add flavorless Protein and it is a nice, refreshing change from shakes and smoothies. My sleeve is less than a month old so I haven't gotten too adventurous with the veggies yet. I think dark greens might be a bit too much right now so I stick with cucumbers, squash, celery, carrots, beets, apples, mangoes, pears, bell peppers and sometimes will add a splash of spinach or kale. It is so nice to taste fresh produce in my drinks instead of powders and milk! I've had my share of really yucky tasting juices but experimenting is part of the fun and most of the time you get some great tasting juices.

Thanks for your reply. I am definantly going to experiment with juicing. I am now on the pre-op diet, my surgery in Oct 31st. Would you mind giving me some of the juicing recipes you enjoy the most. Thanks again

I have juiced during liquids and have tolerated it great. I add flavorless Protein and it is a nice, refreshing change from shakes and smoothies. My sleeve is less than a month old so I haven't gotten too adventurous with the veggies yet. I think dark greens might be a bit too much right now so I stick with cucumbers, squash, celery, carrots, beets, apples, mangoes, pears, bell peppers and sometimes will add a splash of spinach or kale. It is so nice to taste fresh produce in my drinks instead of powders and milk! I've had my share of really yucky tasting juices but experimenting is part of the fun and most of the time you get some great tasting juices.

I have a juicer- I was going to ask if juicing fruits would be too many sugars since I'm just 6 weeks out- and I'm watching carbs and sugar content.

Glad you mentioned it - I'm going to ask on my next appt.

I have juiced for years and did so preop. After my surgery my surgeon said to wait and not juice till on mushies, preferably solids. I did do an experiment and strained the juice and it does have lots of sediment. I have since restarted juicing and my body loves it as much as before surgery. I've always felt a great difference. I juice once per day. I mostly do green veggies and green leafy vegetables, including parsley and cilantro, however. I also do purple cabbage and other veggies. I rarely juice fruits because of the sugar content. But I have on occasion juiced Water melon or regular melons/honeydew. I personally tolerate the flavor of greens just fine. It may be intense for some. You can always use just a few green leaves, say kale, and add celery or cucumber to soften the flavor. I healed really well and was on my feet rather quickly after my surgery and my surgeon said he thougth juicing all those antioxidants for so long probably played a part. Overall I would say, I don't think you could go wrong. Do hold off immediately after surgery though, IMO. There realy is some Fiber in there and it may be too much for a newly sleeved tummy. I really like the poster's above suggestions about adding Protein to the juice. I will have to try it. Juices fill me up so I count them as liquid but I can't eat for a while after. If I add protein, it will be a meal!!!

I agree mnbsleeve. I juiced during the liquid phase but used a cheese cloth and a strainer to make sure there was no sediment or fibrous materials. I also cleared it with my doctor first.

Cucumber juice :0)

I am still waiting for approval but want to buy a juicer and would like to know what type of juicer is the best. I want to start juicing now but do have some issues with cucumber and would I to would like some recipes for the mild tasting blends. I need to start losing the 12 pounds before surgery but have not been very motivated. I do worry about what it mesa that I am waiting until the very last min to start the weight loss. I so need this sleeve and I truly want to be healthy and happy during this process and beyond.