Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's not ever winter yet and I can't take it

Okay, so I'm 8 months out from surgery and I've lost roughly 95 pounds. I noticed somewhere around the 50 pound weight loss mark that I started to have this chill that I couldn't shake, even in the summer time. Now, that it's getting colder outside, and I've lost more weight I'm freezing all the time! Like literally freezing. My nose, hands and ears are always cold to the touch. My body is cold, and I always have goose bumps. My nose is running all the time, like it's snowing outside. And this is in my office with a space heater on; plus I have on long pants, a long sleeve t and a sweater. It's only 68 degrees outside. How am I supposed to live like this for the rest of my life?

My surgeon told me it's normal to be cold for the first year or two after you lose a lot of weight because you've lost the body's insulation. Well, when does it get used to the way things are now? Do skinny people stay cold? I'm not hardly skinny but good lord this is ridiculous. I'm miserable!

Oh man, I'm the same way! I used to always be HOT. I walked into work with my coat, mittens, and scarf on yesterday and someone mentioned to me "you're cold all the time because you lost all of that weight!" I didn't really notice it until she said that! It's 55 degrees here in Michigan and I've pulled out my space heater too but I'm always cold. I guess we'll have to be bundled up until our body regulates itself again!

Me too!! I freeze to death most days. Especially at work. I have to dress like it is winter when it is 100 outside just to be comfortable.

I am almost 6 months out and am finding it is NOT AS BAD as it was a couple months ago, but I still get cold ALOT!!

I am not looking forward to the rainy season here in California. That always makes me cold to the bone anyway, I know I will freeze to death!! LOL

Kelly :)

It's not only the freezing part--me, too, on that, by the way. It's stupid stuff like sitting in chairs!! How do skinny people DO it for long periods of time? My butt goes to sleep in like 20 minutes!!!

On the flip side, haven't you always secretly wanted to wear all those cute fall and winter clothes? I definitely have, and I'm indulging myself with some really nice sweaters and--gasp!--leggings and boots!!!!! It's lovely to wear things without feeling like I'm going to sweat to death. It is cold, that's for sure, but I'm perfectly willing to bundle up if it's a cute enough outfit!!!

It's not only the freezing part--me, too, on that, by the way. It's stupid stuff like sitting in chairs!! How do skinny people DO it for long periods of time? My butt goes to sleep in like 20 minutes!!!

On the flip side, haven't you always secretly wanted to wear all those cute fall and winter clothes? I definitely have, and I'm indulging myself with some really nice sweaters and--gasp!--leggings and boots!!!!! It's lovely to wear things without feeling like I'm going to sweat to death. It is cold, that's for sure, but I'm perfectly willing to bundle up if it's a cute enough outfit!!!

Me too!!!! My butt hurts 90% of the time I'm sitting. It's like there's NO cushion anymore. It's like I'm sitting on the bone. Between freezing and my butt hurting I'm just cranky here lately.

I have to admit though, I bought some leggings and big sweaters and knee high boots. I haven't worn them yet, but I bought them. I don't know if I'm brave enough to do it.

Try horseback riding - talk about butt hurt - yeouch! I never remember saddles being that hard.

Ghrelin is also a factor in heat regulation. There seems to be some preliminary studies suggesting it is more than the weight loss making us so cold. Hopefully our bodies will adjust with time.

Me tOO! I was cold even when I was fat but now I just freeeeze! Oh well the price of being skinny! Now I can pile on clothes and not look like the Staypuff marshmallow woman!

I stay cold all the time too. My heater catches hell every day at work because I have it on high. I was cold natured before I lost my weight but I am super cold natured now. I don't know how I will make the winter.....

I went to the doctor yesterday and he told me that I may stay cold. I asked him how do skinny people do it? He said, "They dress in layers." Are you kidding me? Today I have on 2 shirts, and a sweater, panty hose, pants, socks, boots and my space heater and it's only 67 degrees. When it's 40 degrees I guess I'm going to die from hypothermia!

Yup, cold all the time! It was great during the summer here in Charlotte! My own personal air conditioning. Now that the fall is here things are looking just a little bit different, LOL.

I'm only a little over a week post surgery so I can only imagine how cold I'll get. I work in an office that is notoriously freezing and I've found 2 really helpful things. One, I sit on a heating pad (keep my behind warm and toasty) and two, in addition to the space heater I have a heated throw blanket that I keep under my desk and when I'm sitting at my desk I pull it up over my legs (so no one sees it) and ..... Ohhhhhh it is soooooooooo nice and warm!!!!!

I love my space heater but for me there is just something about the warmth right there next to my skin that really warms me up.

Give it a try if you're struggling! :)

Love IT!!! what a great way to look at things!

I agree with the heated throw and seat pad. Also, I get up and move around to get warm. If I sit still for an extended period, I get cold and then the longer I sit, the colder I get. Also, if you are near goal, invest in cashmere or wool. It is warmer. Could also use silk long johns under your pants and a thermal cami under your shirt.

Lynda

I used to be the one all red-faced and sweaty in the office when everybody else was wearing jackets and running their heaters. I hated summer because all I did was feel hot and sticky. Haha. Now I'm colder than most of the other people in the office. I've lost 75 pounds so far and and with that every bit of my insulation. This week the temps dropped from 85 on Sunday to the 40s Wednesday as a high. I have never been so miserably cold before. And of course, I had not yet bought a new coat that fits. So that's what I'm doing this weekend!

I will say, though, that the hot flashes I thought I had lost forever have started to come back. So every few days I will "flash" and go from freezing to flushing and then in 15 minutes back to freezing again. It's weird.

As for the butt issues . . . It has been so long since I have felt my butt bones when I sit and now it is SO uncomfortable. I do have to get up and walk around every hour or so. This past week I went to a conference and had to sit in a folding chair for 2-3 hours at a time and I was sore for three days.

Even with all the complaining and discomfort, I WOULDN'T TRADE MY SLEEVE FOR ANYTHING!!!