Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What did you wear while in the hospital?

That may seem like a crazy question, but I want to be comfortable! Do they make you wear a hospital gown? If you are allowed to wear your own clothing, is something button down better? Are you hooked up to wires making a pull over impossible?

I've read everythng I can, and can not wait for my surgery on Nov. 1, 2011. This is the only subject I haven't seen covered!

Any info is apprieciated!

I wore the hospital gown but brought a robe with me. I got one with short sleeves that were wide enough (to account for iv tubes etc.) and that zippered down the front ... oh and was long enough to cover my behind! ;) It worked out perfectly! I also brought my crocs for walking the halls but they gave me those socks with the treads on the bottom and I never wore my crocs.

Good luck with your surgery!!!

I wore the hospital gown the entire time. It is just easier with all the cords and injections.

I ended up wearing two gowns... one the right way and one backwards to cover my behind lol! On the morning of my last day I asked my nurse to unhook me from everything just temporarily. I was desperate to wash up just a little bit and I wanted to put my sports bra on (it was a size too big, so it wasn't too tight). It was incredible how much I found that it helped. It kept my girls away from my high incision and gave me just enough modesty back to be comfortable (I am a super modest person in general). It wasn't a problem once I was all hooked back up either. I thought about bringing my own clothes, but I was glad I didn't change into pants. My surgeon had me so pumped full of liquids I was very glad for the easy access that the gown provided. Also, they put your legs on this machine that prevents clots. I think it would be uncomfortable if you had to put them on over or under pants.

Good luck!!

I'm not especially vain or modest - so I wore the gown the whole time. Plus, I'm laundry-averse, so the gown filled the bill for me.

I ended up wearing two gowns... one the right way and one backwards to cover my behind lol! On the morning of my last day I asked my nurse to unhook me from everything just temporarily. I was desperate to wash up just a little bit and I wanted to put my sports bra on (it was a size too big, so it wasn't too tight). It was incredible how much I found that it helped. It kept my girls away from my high incision and gave me just enough modesty back to be comfortable (I am a super modest person in general). It wasn't a problem once I was all hooked back up either. I thought about bringing my own clothes, but I was glad I didn't change into pants. My surgeon had me so pumped full of liquids I was very glad for the easy access that the gown provided. Also, they put your legs on this machine that prevents clots. I think it would be uncomfortable if you had to put them on over or under pants.

Good luck!!

I will wear the 2 gowns also, thanks for the info. I haven't had to worry about "the girls" since 1998 when I had to have a double mastectomy -2 good results, no more cancer and no more bra :o) ever!!! little reconstruction, didn't want to go big at all, so i don't need a bra - yeahhhhh!!!!!

Put your legs up in a machine? how long was that? any other "weird" things they did?lolol How long were you in the hospital? I thought my dr. said it would be only overnight, does each

doctor vary, or did i just misunderstand? 2 days - 3 days? can you tell me what briefly happened as you approached surgery and then after - my surgery for the sleeve is 12/7 , i'm so excited, i hope the time flys by. hubby and i are visiting my mom in CA november 11-16. Get it "fly by" lollolol - husband says thats so *****.

I will wear the 2 gowns also, thanks for the info. I haven't had to worry about "the girls" since 1998 when I had to have a double mastectomy -2 good results, no more cancer and no more bra :o) ever!!! little reconstruction, didn't want to go big at all, so i don't need a bra - yeahhhhh!!!!!

Put your legs up in a machine? how long was that? any other "weird" things they did?lolol How long were you in the hospital? I thought my dr. said it would be only overnight, does each

doctor vary, or did i just misunderstand? 2 days - 3 days? can you tell me what briefly happened as you approached surgery and then after - my surgery for the sleeve is 12/7 , i'm so excited, i hope the time flys by. hubby and i are visiting my mom in CA november 11-16. Get it "fly by" lollolol - husband says thats so *****.

when i said "my husband said that sounds so *****" why did it do

those astericks? Didn't say anything wrong??lololol

It wasn't really a "machine", they put these tight stockings on your legs and then over that they wrap this fabric around your entire legs. The fabric has air pumps throughout it and it rhythmically squeezes your legs on and off. It isn't unpleasant, almost like a massage. But it would be annoying with pants on I think. I wore it anytime I was in bed, except for the last day where I was up.

For most people, it is only overnight. Typically once you have recovered from anesthesia and you are capable they have you up and walking. Then your surgeon will get you to start drinking (normally the second day) and then once you can tolerate a certain amount in a certain time frame (mine was an ounce every 10 mins) you are discharged. I stayed two nights because the first day I was super dooper dizzy and couldn't get up to walk. At first they just thought it was the anesthesia, but since it remained even the next morning my surgeon believes I was getting too much of the pain meds even on the lowest dose. So I was high lol! Once I stopped taking the medicine I was up and walking but I had to stay the second night. I was home late afternoon on the third day.

I had all the pre-op testing done beforehand so when I arrived I was taken straight to the back where the pre-op nurse took my vitals and set up an iv (no biggie, I apparently have nice veins), I got into the gown, etc. Then the anesthesiologist came by, then my surgeon... then a few minutes later the anesthesiologist came back and I was being wheeled into the OR. I didn't get (or need) any of the "happy juice" that most people get to calm them down. I found the whole thing pretty interesting. I moved onto the operating table and then woke up in recovery. I apparently was a big baby and kept asking for my mom so they let her in for a little while biggrin.gif. Then I was brought to my room. It really wasn't a big deal. If it wasn't for the dizziness I would have been all set. The pain was easily managed with the liquid meds once I was on it. I did have a hernia repair so it may have been a bit worse because of that.

Hope that helps :) If you have any more questions just send me a PM. You'll do great!

I just wore the hospital gown. You will have the drain that they constantly empty and I would not want to get that blood all over my clothes. You will mainly be resting. A robe may be a good idea for walking the halls. Good luck on your upcoming sleeve surgery. SO happy for you!!!

That may seem like a crazy question, but I want to be comfortable! Do they make you wear a hospital gown? If you are allowed to wear your own clothing, is something button down better? Are you hooked up to wires making a pull over impossible?

I've read everythng I can, and can not wait for my surgery on Nov. 1, 2011. This is the only subject I haven't seen covered!

Any info is apprieciated!

Hospital gown and panties. My thing is, as a RN, if there would have been an emergency at least the hospital gown is pull apart for electrodes etc. I wouldn't want my own personal clothing to be cut away, wasting time to save me. . . there is a reason they give you these. . . but of course, the choice is yours.

It wasn't really a "machine", they put these tight stockings on your legs and then over that they wrap this fabric around your entire legs. The fabric has air pumps throughout it and it rhythmically squeezes your legs on and off. It isn't unpleasant, almost like a massage. But it would be annoying with pants on I think. I wore it anytime I was in bed, except for the last day where I was up.

For most people, it is only overnight. Typically once you have recovered from anesthesia and you are capable they have you up and walking. Then your surgeon will get you to start drinking (normally the second day) and then once you can tolerate a certain amount in a certain time frame (mine was an ounce every 10 mins) you are discharged. I stayed two nights because the first day I was super dooper dizzy and couldn't get up to walk. At first they just thought it was the anesthesia, but since it remained even the next morning my surgeon believes I was getting too much of the pain meds even on the lowest dose. So I was high lol! Once I stopped taking the medicine I was up and walking but I had to stay the second night. I was home late afternoon on the third day.

I had all the pre-op testing done beforehand so when I arrived I was taken straight to the back where the pre-op nurse took my vitals and set up an iv (no biggie, I apparently have nice veins), I got into the gown, etc. Then the anesthesiologist came by, then my surgeon... then a few minutes later the anesthesiologist came back and I was being wheeled into the OR. I didn't get (or need) any of the "happy juice" that most people get to calm them down. I found the whole thing pretty interesting. I moved onto the operating table and then woke up in recovery. I apparently was a big baby and kept asking for my mom so they let her in for a little while biggrin.gif. Then I was brought to my room. It really wasn't a big deal. If it wasn't for the dizziness I would have been all set. The pain was easily managed with the liquid meds once I was on it. I did have a hernia repair so it may have been a bit worse because of that.

Hope that helps :) If you have any more questions just send me a PM. You'll do great!

hi back at ya o:) you got liquid pain meds, i have to take my meds 2x a day, i have epilepsy - is it a prob taking pills - the sleeve is supposed to have no probs with absorption, but is there a prob taking, swallowing pills - i see my dr. next week, so i'll ask - i'm so very anxious. not worried at all about the surgery - concerned about what i need to eat and how to eat, and what to eat. i actually liked a shake i tried, powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury, i tried the vanilla packet - is that something i can have alot preop to get a jump start on losing a few lbs? And i can have that postop too? thanx for info. kathy