Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I never thought that I'd mourn food!

I feel like I'm about to sabatoge my success.

I've had such a piss-poor attitude lately. I suffer from a multitude of setbacks. I experience the following:

1. I don't eat enough food daily
  2. I don't get the Protein, Water & Vitamins in as advised
  3. I experience nausea almost everyday
  4. I've vomitted at least 5 times in the last 18 days & I still don't know why:I
  5. I SUCK at chewing thoroughly & sipping my drinks
  6. I can never tell if I'm full
  7. I wish I could still have all the foods I used to eat before VSG
  8. Protein shakes make me wanna puke now
  9. I absolutely HATE having to wait 30 minutes to drink in between Snacks or meals
  10. My taste buds flip-flop everyday
  11. I would rather not eat at all if I can't eat properly
  12. The thought of never having mexican food, pancakes, or a hamburger & fries makes me sad

I'm not sure what's going on with me. These emotions just started pouring out within the last 5 days. How can I get over the saddness of leaving my old eating habits behind, when I can't embrace the blessing and new lease on life that I've been given with the VSG? I'm afraid that my success with VSG won't be as good if I re-visit any of the old foods I used to enjoy. Any & all suggestions/feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Are you a perfectionist? I see a person who is really punishing herself. Why? EVERYONE does this, everyone goes through this. I suck at chewing and sipping and taking my Vitamins and eating enough Protein as well....

who told you that you can never have mexican food, pancakes, burgers and fries? In time you will be able to eat everything you enjoyed before just in smaller quantities and not as often. And you know what? You are going to get to the point where you won't WANT those things anymore because they just won't do it for you like they did before.

You will see that this surgery is going to be the best thing you ever did for yourself. Remember that right now your hormones are raging. Shortly after my surgery I would walk through the grocery store and cry. i was not there to buy food I was just there to be around the food (kind of like visiting the cemetary) and I would read the nutrition content and cry (think obituaries) it was HORRIBLE, but I got over that with time

Just do your best and your best will be! You can and WILL do this and you will look back and be slightly amused that you felt this way ever, I promise you this.

Thanks Italianlady13! I'm not by any means a perfectionist. It's just that I've failed so many times before over the last 26 years, & when I feel this way, my pattern has been to fall off. But I do hear what you're saying & I appreciate your honesty as well. I pray for the day that those foods don't do it for me anymore. Thanks again! You really opened my eyes a bit more.

I didn't mean perfectionist in a bad way. Just sometimes people are overly hard on themselves which is what I meant. You can't be hard on yourself, be gentle with yourself and allow yourself some screw ups. This surgery (if there are no complications) is fail proof. You would have to eat and eat and eat (which isn't really possible) for it to fail. the less you think about it failing and the more you just forget you had the surgery and live your life (excercising and pretending you are just doing some diet) then it will start to move. The more you get on that scale and weigh yourself and think about what you can't eat, it won't work and indeed will fail. The mind is a powerful thing. Just keep telling yourself THIS WILL WORK and it will.

Its so normal to feel the way your feeling, in a few weeks your going to feel great. You will be able to eat all the foods you want in time but just not as much. I have to say the further out from surgery I get (11 months) the less and less I'm caring about food. Take it slow and be positive, feel better janine

I feel like I'm about to sabatoge my success.

I've had such a piss-poor attitude lately. I suffer from a multitude of setbacks. I experience the following:

1. I don't eat enough food daily
  2. I don't get the Protein, Water & Vitamins in as advised
  3. I experience nausea almost everyday
  4. I've vomitted at least 5 times in the last 18 days & I still don't know why:I
  5. I SUCK at chewing thoroughly & sipping my drinks
  6. I can never tell if I'm full
  7. I wish I could still have all the foods I used to eat before VSG
  8. Protein shakes make me wanna puke now
  9. I absolutely HATE having to wait 30 minutes to drink in between Snacks or meals
  10. My taste buds flip-flop everyday
  11. I would rather not eat at all if I can't eat properly
  12. The thought of never having mexican food, pancakes, or a hamburger & fries makes me sad

I'm not sure what's going on with me. These emotions just started pouring out within the last 5 days. How can I get over the saddness of leaving my old eating habits behind, when I can't embrace the blessing and new lease on life that I've been given with the VSG? I'm afraid that my success with VSG won't be as good if I re-visit any of the old foods I used to enjoy. Any & all suggestions/feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Hi, I feel your pain. but just know that you don't/won't have to give up all your favorite things. . . you'll only eat less of it. . . i have been out 2 years and eat whatever the heck i want, in small amounts though. . .i haven't had the pleasure of ordering a hamburger yet though cause i know i'll never finish it and don't like wasting money. . . so i stay away from it . . . i eat fries and cheese sticks and chips, but in moderation of course. . . you will be able to enjoy all your favorites soon enough, you just have to be patient. . . lose all your weight first and then fool around with food. . . you'll probably become like me and not have favorites anymore and even not like food too much. . .my husband and i are such poor eaters now it's pathetic. . for excample i cooked 1 1/2 curried chicken breasts, 1/2 cup of rice for supper and after we ate, there is so much left over. . . enough for another couple of meals i'm sure. . . we just don't eat much, but we eat whatever. . . later on this evening i had cheetos and he had dark chocolate. . .it's not like we do this every day, but do indulge every now and then. . . does this help a bit? Don't be sad, it'll get better. . . good luck

I felt the exact way you do at that stage. The good news is that it DOES get better and soon I might add! Once you start on solid foods and get used to it (with no nausea) then you will start to enjoy eating again! I'm almost 5 months out and it's awesome!

OH MY GOSH! YOU sound just like I did early out! I was sooooo depressed. I really did go through most all of what you are going through. I was way to hard on myself and finally just decided to take it one day at a time and not worry about everything at once. My first priority was to get the Water in as much as possible. And then try to get in the Protein and Vitamins as soon as I could (about a month out).

I'm 14 months out. My relationship with food totally changed. I LOVED food! I use to LOVE to eat, A LOT! And I didn't realize how much I loved it. It was depressing. Now I eat to live, not live to eat. HUGE adjustment (still adjusting).

It was so worth it though. All I can say is that it DOES GET BETTER sweetie! Hang in there smile.png

P.s. I am able to eat all the foods you mentioned in #12...hang in there!!! It's soooooo worth it!

OMG honey, see my post today...we are almost exactly the same days out from surgery, and the same weight loss and I can relate to 10 out of 12 of your complaints! I guess that I am lucky in regards to nausea and vomiting and have not had that as an issue post surgery. The rest? Oh yes...heck yes! I had no problems adhering to the protocol the first 2 almost 3 weeks post surgery, but now at almost 5 weeks? Pish...I want to drink my dang Gatorade with my meal darn it!

It looks like part of the normal progression that most WLS people go through which brings some comfort. So glad I am still off work and not subjecting my co-workers with my sparkling personality LOL. This too shall pass and we will look back and be glad we made it through.

And the thought of no pumpkin pancakes at Ihop this year makes me sadder than sad let me tell you; I feel your pain.

OMG. You are so in my head right now! I had a meltdown a few days ago and am finally coming to grips with the fact that it will get better, because it actually is as the days go by.

What my hubby told me was that I need to stop thinking in the now and keep imagining how great I'm going to feel as the pounds come off in addition to the food restrictions. He reminded me that nothing comes easy but when you work hard and work through the little things, the big pay off in the end is more than worth it.

I guess I'm the tough love type, because I cant stop imagining how great I'm going to look and feel at next year's school reunion!