Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low BMI to Start - Anyone Else?

Yes, Dr. Ramos Kelly, and he is very good. He really put me at ease. There is a very large staff at the hospital, I think I was seen by 5-6 doctors total. Some of the nurses don't speak English very well, but are very good nonetheless. I had originally planned on going alone, but my sister eneded up coming with me. I am so glad she came because the first 24 hours after surgery were difficult, as I got sick from the anesthesia. For pre- op and post-op clear liquid stage-- clear boost is so much better than isopure! As for advice-- I am trying to change my lifestyle as little as possible, with the hopes of making an easy sustainable change to my new life. I used to drink coffee all day long, switched to Decaf, goes down nice, I can meet my Fluid intake easily. I used to have a Cereal bar for Breakfast every morning at my desk-- switched to Protein Bars. I didn't usually snack during the day before and don't now, although I will in the evening. I try to eat all my Protein, but will have a premixed shake 2-3 times a week. I go low carb for the most part, but allow myself carbs occasionally. I eat the meat portion of whatever hubby has made for supper, no special meals for me. I walk 20 min everyday. I haven't made any drastic changes to my lifestyle, I feel "normal".I don't feel like I'm dieting. Hope this helps, I'd be happy to answer any more questions you have.

I had a BMI of 28 when I decided to get sleeved. Best decision I have ever made! I too didn't look like I was overweight, but was packing an extra 45 pounds. I lost the same 20-30 lbs for years. So far, I have lost 33 lbs, (sleeved July 27, 2011)!

I was asked more than once at the recovery house, what I was there for and when I said "gastric sleeve", some were a bit shocked. After hearing all of our stories, I think they realize that we all suffered the same battles. Mine were on a smaller scale, but still a battle.

I feel wonderful, am told I look great! My husband, who was nervous about the procedure in the beginning, has complimented me so many times since then.

Details on my surgery.

Self Pay

Sleeved July 27th, 2011

Surgeon: Dr. Almanza Jeruselum Hospital- Tijuana Mexico

First few weeks were a little rough with the liquid diet. Once the soft food stage rolled around, it was a little bit better. 30 days after my surgery, light at the end of the tunnel. I could eat almost anything, but in tiny quantities. It's amazing how tiny! You are not hungry.

So best of luck in your decision on this life changing option. Take care.

Thanks so much for your reply, it has put me at ease. I hadn't found anyone that had actually went to him before and of course with all the horror stories and scams out there i was pretty nervous. I did the research and although a little higher than others and yet lower than other surgeons from Mexico, I was hoping I had make the right decision. Knowing that it hasn't wrecked your lifestyle is nice to hear as well. I to drink coffee but usually in the am cause I get up at 3:30 for work 4 days a week. Being a paramedic I usually have a pretty fast paced day. So I need a cup or 2 of coffee to get me going. I don't drink anything but diet soda if I drink soda at all. I am more of a Red Diamond with Splenda Tea kinda of gal. Yes it has some caffein but nothing else. I don't snack much and dont eat alot now but it seems i have the metabolism of a slug because I hae to be on a 1500 calorie a day intake and at least an her of exercise a day to loose 1-2 lbs a week and that's even using rx diet drugs like Bontril . I am hoping this surgery is the answer to my prayers. I have been looking into it for the past yr and a half so needless to say actually sending the money I had been saving and getting that Surgery Date put a BIG smile on my face :)

I do appreciate you taking the time to reply, It is nice to know someone else went to the same one and has had success.

Did you stay at the Lurcerna Hotel? Surgery at Oasis/Florence Hospital? Did you book thru A lighter Me? What was your pre-op diet well for how many days did you need to be on it I should ask? Some say 10 some 14 others 7 and some Dr's don't require you to be on one at all. I would really like to have real food for thanksgiving since I will be only 2.5 wks post op for x-mus I think real food then will probably be out of the question! lol

Thanks Again

Yes, Dr. Ramos Kelly, and he is very good. He really put me at ease. There is a very large staff at the hospital, I think I was seen by 5-6 doctors total. Some of the nurses don't speak English very well, but are very good nonetheless. I had originally planned on going alone, but my sister eneded up coming with me. I am so glad she came because the first 24 hours after surgery were difficult, as I got sick from the anesthesia. For pre- op and post-op clear liquid stage-- clear boost is so much better than isopure! As for advice-- I am trying to change my lifestyle as little as possible, with the hopes of making an easy sustainable change to my new life. I used to drink coffee all day long, switched to Decaf, goes down nice, I can meet my Fluid intake easily. I used to have a cereal bar for breakfast every morning at my desk-- switched to Protein bars. I didn't usually snack during the day before and don't now, although I will in the evening. I try to eat all my Protein, but will have a premixed shake 2-3 times a week. I go low carb for the most part, but allow myself carbs occasionally. I eat the meat portion of whatever hubby has made for supper, no special meals for me. I walk 20 min everyday. I haven't made any drastic changes to my lifestyle, I feel "normal".I don't feel like I'm dieting. Hope this helps, I'd be happy to answer any more questions you have.

Thanks for sharing your story and for the words of widsom. I appreciate it. I am off work today and trying to figure out what all I will need to take with me. Any advice?

I have a few weeks before my surgery but everyone has talked about taking pillows for coughing, liquid anti nausea meds, gas x for the couple days after heating pad for the cramps in the abd from gas pains and comfy cloths to keep from rubbing the incisions. Do I need this or am I misisng anything?

I had a BMI of 28 when I decided to get sleeved. Best decision I have ever made! I too didn't look like I was overweight, but was packing an extra 45 pounds. I lost the same 20-30 lbs for years. So far, I have lost 33 lbs, (sleeved July 27, 2011)!

I was asked more than once at the recovery house, what I was there for and when I said "gastric sleeve", some were a bit shocked. After hearing all of our stories, I think they realize that we all suffered the same battles. Mine were on a smaller scale, but still a battle.

I feel wonderful, am told I look great! My husband, who was nervous about the procedure in the beginning, has complimented me so many times since then.

Details on my surgery.

Self Pay

Sleeved July 27th, 2011

Surgeon: Dr. Almanza Jeruselum Hospital- Tijuana Mexico

First few weeks were a little rough with the liquid diet. Once the soft food stage rolled around, it was a little bit better. 30 days after my surgery, light at the end of the tunnel. I could eat almost anything, but in tiny quantities. It's amazing how tiny! You are not hungry.

So best of luck in your decision on this life changing option. Take care.