Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low BMI to Start - Anyone Else?

I had a low bmi like you. I was tired of starving myself and being in a constant state of hunger and exercise. Like you may family genes become obese and I was not willing to stretch my skin in farther. I found that I would have to go to Mexico and self pay. I had chosen my Dr. for many reasons. One of them being he was not going to make me gain even more weight to qualify.

I did it with a lowBMI 31 in mexico with Dr rod and it was the best decision I have made in just 4 weeks I have lost half of my weight and look like my old self again I am actually trying to slow the weight loss down to a more natural healthy weight loss of 10 p a month althou finding that hard but seriously I haven't felt this good in years It was so worth it !

If you can afford to self pay and go to Mexico, go for it. There is no sense in spending your life on the diet roller coaster if this is available to you. I wish I had done it when I was younger. I think people who are able to have WLS at a young age are so lucky!

Go for it girl. Why spend the best years of your life miserable on yo-yo diets and spend thousands of $'s on diets that don't work. I'm going to help my daughter who's just like you but she's 28 years old get VSG next year. Why should this surgery be limited to the morbid obese with other health issues. Do it now before you get those health issues or you lose your self confidence because of your weight. Just know this is very serious and a life long committment. Not a fad or quick fix and you can complicate and ruin it and gain back the weight. Long term weight loss will all be on you, not the surgery. It's just a tool to help you get there and stay there IF you are willing to stay the course and change your lifestyle. Good luck to I hope it works out. I am scheduled to have VSG December 7th and I know I'm going to wish I had it done sooner.

Hey everyone! This is my first post in the forum! Where to start? I am 26 years old, with a BMI around 29 or 30. To look at me you wouldn't think I am obese or anything, just overweight. I grew up as an obese child and have since lost 50 lbs, but keep on putting back the same 10, 20, 30 lbs back on my body. ITs so frustrating. To lose I feel that I basically need to starve myself and I gain back so quickly. Even though I'm only 26, I bet I have gained and lost 250 lbs over the course of my life! I have been dieting since I was 9, and thoughts of my weight, food, and how my clothes will fit consume my thoughts everyday. I feel as if I am insane sometimes. I can literaly gain and lose 20 lbs in a month. I can't imagine what I'm doing to my body, and I just can't diet anymore.

I am consdering getting the VS survery. My dad had it as a severely obese man and is doing amazingly, but I am afraid to talk to my parents about it. I know they think I am not overweight enough. Has anyone else been in this situation? I know I'm ready, and I want to better myself and my life. I know this will just be a vicious cycle that will continue for the rest of my life. I need some guidance and thoughts.

Thanks so much, and I look forward to getting to know some of you!

I know I am in the minority here, and I know little about the Mexican surgery process, but I would really consider why a BMI of 29 makes you not a candidate for VSG surgery here. Perhaps it isn't the best option for you right now? I heard that lap-bands are now being recommended for people with a BMI of 30 or above. That might be something worth looking into. I understand your weight loss frustration. I looked into a gastric bypass about 5 years ago where my BMI was 32 and I was told "No doctor in America would ethically perform surgery on you, even if you self paid". But, I did end up putting on more weight putting my BMI at 37, qualifying me for surgery. I didn't do it on purpose, but it happened! So, I understand why you would want this surgery done now, instead of waiting to get fatter and more unhappy! I dieted and dieted. I understand just wanting a permanent solution! Admittedly, I never looked into Mexico as an option and I don't know much about it. Before going to Mexico for major surgery I would fully research the process. Here, my medical center is becoming a "Center of Excellence" for Weight Loss. During my pre-op visits, They found I had stomach polyps that needed to be removed and biopsied to see if they were cancerous. I had many meetings with nutritionists over the course of a year, I attend information seminars, psych. eval, primary care evaluations, had heart tests, an upper GI, etc. Some of these tests did uncover medical conditions I didn't know about. Do they have that level of pre-op care in Mexico? Maybe they do, as I said I am completely unfamiliar with the process there. Also, following the surgery I continue to meet with a nutritionist for a year, meet with my surgeon regularly and in addition I am assigned a post-op surgery doctor who I will meet with once a year to monitor my health as it relates to the surgery. I felt confident that I have an excellent medical team looking out for me. Do they have that level of post-op care? Mexico may have that as well. I never researched it.

You are very young, not morbidly obese and you aren't far from a healthy BMI. It doesn't sound like you have any pressing health issues either right now. My suggestion is to take a step back and really reflect on what you want. This is a major surgery and lifestyle change. I am very pleased now and I think it was worth it and I had an excellent medical team. There were days before and after the surgery where I was really depressed and really questioning myself. Why did I do this to myself? Knowing my family history, my dieting history and my medical needs I am now confident that I did the right thing.I just want you to feel confident in your decision because the road isn't always easy.

I would totally do it and I'd go back to Dr Aceves too. Go for it girl!

I know I am in the minority here, and I know little about the Mexican surgery process, but I would really consider why a BMI of 29 makes you not a candidate for VSG surgery here. Perhaps it isn't the best option for you right now? I heard that lap-bands are now being recommended for people with a BMI of 30 or above. That might be something worth looking into. I understand your weight loss frustration. I looked into a gastric bypass about 5 years ago where my BMI was 32 and I was told "No doctor in America would ethically perform surgery on you, even if you self paid". But, I did end up putting on more weight putting my BMI at 37, qualifying me for surgery. I didn't do it on purpose, but it happened! So, I understand why you would want this surgery done now, instead of waiting to get fatter and more unhappy! I dieted and dieted. I understand just wanting a permanent solution! Admittedly, I never looked into Mexico as an option and I don't know much about it. Before going to Mexico for major surgery I would fully research the process. Here, my medical center is becoming a "Center of Excellence" for Weight Loss. During my pre-op visits, They found I had stomach polyps that needed to be removed and biopsied to see if they were cancerous. I had many meetings with nutritionists over the course of a year, I attend information seminars, psych. eval, primary care evaluations, had heart tests, an upper GI, etc. Some of these tests did uncover medical conditions I didn't know about. Do they have that level of pre-op care in Mexico? Maybe they do, as I said I am completely unfamiliar with the process there. Also, following the surgery I continue to meet with a nutritionist for a year, meet with my surgeon regularly and in addition I am assigned a post-op surgery doctor who I will meet with once a year to monitor my health as it relates to the surgery. I felt confident that I have an excellent medical team looking out for me. Do they have that level of post-op care? Mexico may have that as well. I never researched it.

You are very young, not morbidly obese and you aren't far from a healthy BMI. It doesn't sound like you have any pressing health issues either right now. My suggestion is to take a step back and really reflect on what you want. This is a major surgery and lifestyle change. I am very pleased now and I think it was worth it and I had an excellent medical team. There were days before and after the surgery where I was really depressed and really questioning myself. Why did I do this to myself? Knowing my family history, my dieting history and my medical needs I am now confident that I did the right thing.I just want you to feel confident in your decision because the road isn't always easy.

LAPBAND? Not yelling at you but those are FAILBANDS! They destroy people's stomachs and have all kinds of problems and are even riskier than the VSG. If you decide to get a lapband send me the money and i'll punch ya in the gut a few times, might save ya some heartache.

I had surgery with dr. Kelly on Aug 29/11 with a starting BMI of 30. I have had success in the past with weight watchers, and even worked for W.W. For a few years, BUT the only way I was able to maintain weightless was through very vigorous exercise 1 hr a day,7 days a week. At 44, with back problems, and a stressful job, that amount of exercise is impossible. Needless to say, even with good eating habits, my weight had been creeping up for years. Now, 8 weeks out, I have lost 26lbs, about 15 -20 more to go.( if you start with a lower BMI, you lose at a slower pace than ppl with higher BMI's) I walk everyday for 20 minutes, and feel like I am no longer fighting my hunger constantly. Yes, you can gain weight with the sleeve once you are in maintenance, but your stomach can NEVER stretch out to the size it was before. You can "eat around" your sleeve by eating too often and high calorie foods, BUT if you need to lose again, it will never be a s hard as it was pre-sleeve. FYI, if you find it hard losing weight now on your own, it is at least twice as hard once you are over 40. I kind of feel like having 85% of my stomach removed was like having my appendix or tonsils removed- an organ I can live quite easily without,lol. The functional part is still there,thats all I need. I starved myself for 20 years

witth mediocre results, would I do this surgery again? HELL YA!

Dieting since 9 years old!? Good grief get off the dieting bandwagon. I am 50yrs...31 bmi...vsg August 1st and wished I would of saved all the money I blew on every diet known to mankind, hypnosis, etc and had the vsg done a long time ago!

Do your research and if you are doing if for the right reasons then GIT R Done!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Thanks guys, there's so much to think about! Will one more diet/excercise regime work? Is this too extreme? Will people judge me?

I am still not sure what I'm going to do, but at least I know there's people who have been in my shoes, and who are supportive.

Hello, I am simular to your story. Most of my family is obese and it is hard to go thru life knowing that some day more than likely that will be you. No matter what you do or how many diets you try the wt keeps slipping up on you. I to have lost and gained and been on phen-phen and bontril but as soon as I go off the pounds start creeping back on. I have fought wt since I was 16 and the older I get (now 35) it is harder to get off than ever before. I have finally decided i hate looking at my body (neck down) in the mirror and although I am only in the 35 bmi catagory and am muscular in build I weigh 206 and I have never been this big before. I scheduled my VSG with Dr Ramos Kelly for Dec 5th last week. I am so excited but it's hard to talk about it because of not knowing what people will think of you (those that dont' know how much you battle) considering we are not morbidly obese. Anyway I have finally told my dad and husband of course they think I am crazy but are supporting my wishes because they know i have battled it physically and emotionally for so long. I think once you make the decision and have done your research that you will find you can be happy with your decision and if you are educated in the procedure and people can tell you have done your research and weighed your pro's and cons that they will accept your choice and understand. I didn't tell my family I was even looking into it for the past yr and a half until about 2 months ago. of course I think they blew me off thinking I wasn't serious till I sent the deposit to book my surgery. I wish you all the best in your decision. Good luck -

Hey everyone! This is my first post in the forum! Where to start? I am 26 years old, with a BMI around 29 or 30. To look at me you wouldn't think I am obese or anything, just overweight. I grew up as an obese child and have since lost 50 lbs, but keep on putting back the same 10, 20, 30 lbs back on my body. ITs so frustrating. To lose I feel that I basically need to starve myself and I gain back so quickly. Even though I'm only 26, I bet I have gained and lost 250 lbs over the course of my life! I have been dieting since I was 9, and thoughts of my weight, food, and how my clothes will fit consume my thoughts everyday. I feel as if I am insane sometimes. I can literaly gain and lose 20 lbs in a month. I can't imagine what I'm doing to my body, and I just can't diet anymore.

I am consdering getting the VS survery. My dad had it as a severely obese man and is doing amazingly, but I am afraid to talk to my parents about it. I know they think I am not overweight enough. Has anyone else been in this situation? I know I'm ready, and I want to better myself and my life. I know this will just be a vicious cycle that will continue for the rest of my life. I need some guidance and thoughts.

Thanks so much, and I look forward to getting to know some of you!

You mentioned you had surgery with Dr Kelly- Did you mean Ramos Kelly? If so how was the process? I have booked my surgery thru Linda at a Lighter Me with Dr Kelly for Dec 5th 2011 and am very excited but nervous at the same time. Since booking Linda has been in Tiajuana and has not had phone service to reply to a couple of my questions. If we are talking about the same Dr and using the Oasis / florence hospital I would love to discuss your experience(s) = I am a fulltime paramedic but I also own and manage 2 other businesses. I am taking about 10 days off work after surgery but cannot get more than that due to the fact my work will make me do a complete lift test which is grewling and requires carying 175 lbs up and down flights of stairs, and jogging with the wt for a mile in a set time. I could pass that on any other day but probably wouldn't be wise to even attempt it less than 4 wks post surgery. Anyway with the way my employer is if I take any kind of medical leave I would have to retake lift test before returning to work . Thus I have discussed my surgery with my partner whom is willing to take up some of my slack on lifting pts ect for the first couple weeks post op. You mentioned you are in a stressful hectic job as Am I. I am 35 and find that my wt doesn't come off as easily as it used to and the older my kids get (12 and 13) the more active they have become with their sports ect that I feel I don't have the time to exercise. I have a BMI of 37-38 and although i don't look obese (just overweight) it seems to be the only way to get off the roll a coster and live life alittle. Do you have any pre-op or post op advice?

Thanks,

Mel

I had surgery with dr. Kelly on Aug 29/11 with a starting BMI of 30. I have had success in the past with weight watchers, and even worked for W.W. For a few years, BUT the only way I was able to maintain weightless was through very vigorous exercise 1 hr a day,7 days a week. At 44, with back problems, and a stressful job, that amount of exercise is impossible. Needless to say, even with good eating habits, my weight had been creeping up for years. Now, 8 weeks out, I have lost 26lbs, about 15 -20 more to go.( if you start with a lower BMI, you lose at a slower pace than ppl with higher BMI's) I walk everyday for 20 minutes, and feel like I am no longer fighting my hunger constantly. Yes, you can gain weight with the sleeve once you are in maintenance, but your stomach can NEVER stretch out to the size it was before. You can "eat around" your sleeve by eating too often and high calorie foods, BUT if you need to lose again, it will never be a s hard as it was pre-sleeve. FYI, if you find it hard losing weight now on your own, it is at least twice as hard once you are over 40. I kind of feel like having 85% of my stomach removed was like having my appendix or tonsils removed- an organ I can live quite easily without,lol. The functional part is still there,thats all I need. I starved myself for 20 years

witth mediocre results, would I do this surgery again? HELL YA!

SOUNDS LIKE YOUR ANOTHER SUCCESS STORY TO ME- I have been doing alot of research and have already booked my VSG for Dec 5th. I am excited but i have read many side affects that are simular to dumping, retension problems, gastrointeritis, deficiency in Calcium, mag, vit D, ect, and people say they are having to take these supplements for life along with a Multi vit. Do you have this issue? I understand that it is highly recommended one get at least one set of complete labs yearly to look for potential problems such as deficiency but is it necessary to take supplements before you have problems? I am in the medical field and sometimes to much of any of these lead to cardiac dysrhythmia's and many other problems. Can you Advise?

Dieting since 9 years old!? Good grief get off the dieting bandwagon. I am 50yrs...31 bmi...vsg August 1st and wished I would of saved all the money I blew on every diet known to mankind, hypnosis, etc and had the vsg done a long time ago!

Do your research and if you are doing if for the right reasons then GIT R Done!

Good luck and keep us posted!

You mentioned you had surgery with Dr Kelly- Did you mean Ramos Kelly? If so how was the process? I have booked my surgery thru Linda at a Lighter Me with Dr Kelly for Dec 5th 2011 and am very excited but nervous at the same time. Since booking Linda has been in Tiajuana and has not had phone service to reply to a couple of my questions. If we are talking about the same Dr and using the Oasis / florence hospital I would love to discuss your experience(s) = I am a fulltime paramedic but I also own and manage 2 other businesses. I am taking about 10 days off work after surgery but cannot get more than that due to the fact my work will make me do a complete lift test which is grewling and requires carying 175 lbs up and down flights of stairs, and jogging with the wt for a mile in a set time. I could pass that on any other day but probably wouldn't be wise to even attempt it less than 4 wks post surgery. Anyway with the way my employer is if I take any kind of medical leave I would have to retake lift test before returning to work . Thus I have discussed my surgery with my partner whom is willing to take up some of my slack on lifting pts ect for the first couple weeks post op. You mentioned you are in a stressful hectic job as Am I. I am 35 and find that my wt doesn't come off as easily as it used to and the older my kids get (12 and 13) the more active they have become with their sports ect that I feel I don't have the time to exercise. I have a BMI of 37-38 and although i don't look obese (just overweight) it seems to be the only way to get off the roll a coster and live life alittle. Do you have any pre-op or post op advice?

Thanks,

Mel